• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2: Sandbag Smashes Back!

Sometimes the news only looks like an April Fools joke. Recently the Super Smash Flash 2 development team released a video on their developer blog that looked to just be another April 1st prank. No one would actually add Sandbag as a playable character... right? Turns out he will actually be joining the cast so check out his trailer below as we give you the inside scoop on this new character!

SSF2 Sandbag Trailer

According to the official SSF2 development blog, Sandbag will be the first character within any Smash title to not be able to grab the ledge. With his unique recovery, Sandbag throws a bob-omb into the air that comes down and explodes on him shooting him back towards the stage. As sandbag is always tossed sent flying away, players will only be able to influence the direction they go if going backwards making recovery a special challenge.

His unique physics will also make for some very interesting movement options. As explained by the official announcement. "Pay attention to that exact hopping animation that Sandbag uses here, because we’ve recreated it for Sandbag’s in-game walk and run. The physics are unique to Sandbag, initially neither gives him any speed, but then he takes a huge leap forward… then completely stops when he lands. Rinse, repeat. Here’s the thing, though. In Super Smash Flash 2, you can taunt out of the run animation. Sandbag’s side taunt is an extremely short ‘squish’ animation that kind of looks like he’s landing on the ground. Combine this with his wonky physics and you have some unbelievably weird and hard-to-understand movement options to use on your foes!"

Wow, he actually hops pretty far. | What in the world?!
|
More information is available on Sandbag discussing other potential moves, his normal moves, his Final Smash and more and these can all be found on his official announcement article here. Excited to see such a unique character enter the world of Smash through Super Smash Flash 2? Sound off in the comments below and stay tuned for future breaking Super Smash Flash 2 news!

Comments

Can you link me to any of those ways?
I only know the xbox controller...
If you have a wired xbox 360 controller, I'm sure you can download xbox accessories and play it like that.

There are def ways to play with controllers, Im sure you can find stuff for like a gamecube controller or something.

Can you link me to any of those ways?
To use a game controller, you need a controller that can be plugged into a PC and a program that allows mapping keyboard/mouse inputs into controller buttons like Xpadder or Joy2Key (the former I'd recommend more).

There tutorials online to fill you in.

To use a game controller, you need a controller that can be plugged into a PC and a program that allows mapping keyboard/mouse inputs into controller buttons like Xpadder or Joy2Key (the former I'd recommend more).

At least until these games get Controller Support...
Fingers still crossed, starting to cross toes too.

Thank you. I'll try to find one of those programs,

At least until these games get Controller Support...
Fingers still crossed, starting to cross toes too.
That's not happening for SSF2, by nature of it being made in flash native controller support is impossible. Luckily you can just map your keys to a controller using a key binding software like joy2key or xpadder. On a related note, the next version of crusade will have controller support.

Was really happy to see this wasn't a joke. Sandbag is a joke character I always thought could be super fun in a real smash, and this only furthers that! I can not wait to play and unlock him! Awesome announcement!

Phew...

ALSO!

When you think about it, Jiggs is also a joke character. Same with Pichu (see Melee for more deets).
Jiggs is more of a clone. As she was added to Smash 64 since she was easy to make as they based her on kirby. Pichu was indeed made as one though.

Ok. I get that he's a joke character. But he's very clearly done. So if he doesn't stay I'm never playing this game.

Haven't played Super Smash Flash 2 in a while. Every fighting game needs a joke character, and it's nice to know that the devs have a good sense of humour. :D

Last edited:
I'd point out again how those are only in due to grandfather clause, having already been programmed before the overhaul from "this is just a teenager's personal project" to "wow, okay, didn't expect this popularity so let's take this seriously for a larger audience" that happened six years ago now, but I have a feeling people still aren't going to listen.
I couldn't have put this better. The anime characters' presence is like Clark Kent being only able to conceal his identity as Superman with a pair of glasses and a slouched posture. Just as the Clark Kent disguise is integral to the Superman mythos despite being quite absurd and not making much sense, the anime characters in the Super Smash Flash series is quite an important part of the game, is what attracted many casual internet surfers to the series in the first place.

It obviously took a lot of time and effort to programme the anime characters into the game, even back when Smash Flash was just meant to be a small art project. I personally have never had a problem with the anime characters, and can't fully understand those who hate their presence in the game.

At the end of the day, the game allows you to pit Son Goku and co. against gaming's finest, which I think is pretty damned cool. Plus, they're all fun to play as.

Last edited:
Top Bottom