• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2: Sandbag Smashes Back!

Sometimes the news only looks like an April Fools joke. Recently the Super Smash Flash 2 development team released a video on their developer blog that looked to just be another April 1st prank. No one would actually add Sandbag as a playable character... right? Turns out he will actually be joining the cast so check out his trailer below as we give you the inside scoop on this new character!

SSF2 Sandbag Trailer

According to the official SSF2 development blog, Sandbag will be the first character within any Smash title to not be able to grab the ledge. With his unique recovery, Sandbag throws a bob-omb into the air that comes down and explodes on him shooting him back towards the stage. As sandbag is always tossed sent flying away, players will only be able to influence the direction they go if going backwards making recovery a special challenge.

His unique physics will also make for some very interesting movement options. As explained by the official announcement. "Pay attention to that exact hopping animation that Sandbag uses here, because we’ve recreated it for Sandbag’s in-game walk and run. The physics are unique to Sandbag, initially neither gives him any speed, but then he takes a huge leap forward… then completely stops when he lands. Rinse, repeat. Here’s the thing, though. In Super Smash Flash 2, you can taunt out of the run animation. Sandbag’s side taunt is an extremely short ‘squish’ animation that kind of looks like he’s landing on the ground. Combine this with his wonky physics and you have some unbelievably weird and hard-to-understand movement options to use on your foes!"

Wow, he actually hops pretty far. | What in the world?!
|
More information is available on Sandbag discussing other potential moves, his normal moves, his Final Smash and more and these can all be found on his official announcement article here. Excited to see such a unique character enter the world of Smash through Super Smash Flash 2? Sound off in the comments below and stay tuned for future breaking Super Smash Flash 2 news!

Comments

Sandbag gets in before Dedede?

nah jk i can wait, but i sure do hope he doesn't leave him out like the first Flash game or like Crusade did. ( I mean Gooey over Dedede really Crusade? )

Last edited:
This has got to be the best character announcement I've seen in forever.
I await to beat the living crap out of everyone with the greatest being to have ever resided in Smash.

For those worried that he might have taken development time away from the rest of the cast:
  • He has a single-digit number of sprites, nearly all of which already existed.
  • He's a joke character not meant to be used competitively and likely won't be focused on when it comes to balancing.
  • You'll have to specifically unlock him in both Beta and the Full Release, so you don't have to look at him if you don't want to. (I assume he won't count towards "do x with all characters" objectives, either.)

Either way, I'm looking forward to having a designated Training Mode opponent that's actually meant to be one.

This definitely piqued my interest in SSF2. Had never heard of it before. Am I really that behind the times?
Well, Smashboards has been reporting on its updates and announcements for the past several years, and it's been in active development since 2007. The update with Sandbag (and A LOT of other new stuff) isn't coming very soon, though, just sometime this year; this is going to be the final pre-release version before the full game, so they want to make sure it's content-filled and bug-free.

Still a more legit Smash character than freakin' animes.
I'd point out again how those are only in due to grandfather clause, having already been programmed before the overhaul from "this is just a teenager's personal project" to "wow, okay, didn't expect this popularity so let's take this seriously for a larger audience" that happened six years ago now, but I have a feeling people still aren't going to listen.

D
For those curious, Sandbag uses only 3 frames for it's sprite set, so sprite-wise, they aren't using that much of resources for Sandbag.

To be honest, im okay with Sandbag. Im not super thrilled since im not a fan of joke characters in general, but he seems to be a character that i could mess around with, if nothing else.

Still a better joke character than Pichu though.

I'd play more SSF2 if I could use a controller rather than keyboard. But I can't. So I guess the game remains useless to me.

Top Bottom