• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2 Competitive Discussion Thread

Favorite character?

• Total voters

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
It might be because you are looking at the 0.9a tier.
Honestly, I think the tier list for this game is made from solely popular opinions, a lot of the things on the list are wrong. There are obivious a lot of undiscovered potentials for every single characters in the cast, I personally think Naruto should be atleast be on the low A tiers.
I agree, also would it be possible to make a tier list in this forum by the community

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
It might be because you are looking at the 0.9a tier.
Honestly, I think the tier list for this game is made from solely popular opinions, a lot of the things on the list are wrong. There are obivious a lot of undiscovered potentials for every single characters in the cast, I personally think Naruto should be atleast be on the low A tiers.
I agree, also would it be possible to make a tier list in this forum by the community

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Sadly, this thread does not get a lot of views, but if you wish, we could start a discussion on making our own tier list. Also, I know it's on accident, but please don't post the same message repeatedly, I hope you could delete the extra three posts before it caught the attention of an admin.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Oh good, this thread is a thing.

As an SSF2 back room member, I regret that we don't have nearly enough local tournaments to get accurate data. There's quite a bit of risk in relying on online tournaments, which is what we've been forced to do. So, unfortunately, an accurate tier list in our infant metagame's current state is simply an impossibility.

That's why I feel SSF2 should get its own board here like PM did; it's competitively minded, but it's so obscure at the moment thag its potential is being utterly wasted – it needs a boost.

Last edited:

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Oh good, this thread is a thing.

As an SSF2 back room member, I regret that we don't have nearly enough local tournaments to get accurate data. There's quite a bit of risk in relying on online tournaments, which is what we've been forced to do. So, unfortunately, an accurate tier list in our infant metagame's current state is simply an impossibility.

That's why I feel SSF2 should get its own board here like PM did; it's competitively minded, but it's so obscure at the moment thag its potential is being utterly wasted – it needs a boost.
Unfortunately, majority of the fan base are focusing their attention on PM only, and the only way for SSF2 to get some recognition is if the PM fan base died out (which is the last thing that I hope to happen). Though I wouldn't call the game "obscure", as there are still a lot of active players online who are enjoying the game as it is.
Thing is, if the admins from McLeodGaming are willing to create a web page solely for the purpose of tournament hosting, it would gather a lot of novice players online.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If it had a forum here, though, more tournament players would at least be aware that it's not the same thing as it was in 2006. Most people I talk to about it still think Mr. Incredible's in it... SSF1 and the earliest versions of 2 left a very bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths.

This scene needs all the help it can get.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
If it had a forum here, though, more tournament players would at least be aware that it's not the same thing as it was in 2006. Most people I talk to about it still think Mr. Incredible's in it... SSF1 and the earliest versions of 2 left a very bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths.

This scene needs all the help it can get.
Maybe someone should create a tournament hosting thread here? Also, I think we should appeal to the casual gamers first, as they are a large part of the community.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Maybe someone should create a tournament hosting thread here? Also, I think we should appeal to the casual gamers first, as they are a large part of the community.
Which is why I think we should give it its own subforum like PM got. So potential players can talk about it however they feel they need to. We can't just keep posting thread after thread here because this is where a lot of different topics are talked about.

SSF2's definitely deep enough of a game now to justify getting a place for more in-depth discussion...

Last edited:

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Which is why I think we should give it its own subforum like PM got. So potential players can talk about it however they feel they need to. We can't just keep posting thread after thread here because this is where a lot of different topics are talked about.

SSF2's definitely deep enough of a game now to justify getting a place for more in-depth discussion...
We'll have to beg the mods for that, maybe SSFB's release will change their view. Have you asked anyone yet?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
We'll have to beg the mods for that, maybe SSFB's release will change their view. Have you asked anyone yet?
Not entirely sure how to. You have to be respectful, thorough, and logical when asking a site admin to make such a major and likely-to-be-controversial addition; one wrong move and it will forever be known to the higher-ups as "that game that has Goku in it for some reason".

Last edited:

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Not entirely sure how to. You have to be respectful, thorough, and logical when asking a site admin to make such a major and likely-to-be-controversial addition; one wrong move and it will forever be known to the higher-ups as "that game that has Goku in it for some reason".
Maybe instead of asking them boldly to create a forum for SSF only, we should recommend them to make a forum dedicated to "minor" fan mods and games.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Due to "popular" demand, and to celebrate the announcement of SSF Beta, I created my personal 0.9b tier list. I feel like this should help since the McLeodGaming Wiki haven't uploaded their version yet:

*Keep in mind this list is heavily opinionated, and is made by a 15 year old who have too much time on his hands.

SS tier:
1-Ichigo
2-Sora

S tier:
3-Zelda
4-Chibi Robo
5-Pikachu
6-Naruto

A tier:
7-Black Mage
8-Marth
9-Link
10-Bomber Man
11-Jigglypuff

B tier:
12-Lloyd
13-Kirby
14-Mega Man
15-Wario
16-Fox
17-Tails
18-Peach

C tier:
19-Yoshi
20-Ness
21-Donkey Kong

D tier:
22-Captain Falcon
23-Meta Knight
24-Goku
25-Sonic
26-Samus

E tier:
27-Zero Suit Samus
28-Mario

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Maybe instead of asking them boldly to create a forum for SSF only, we should recommend them to make a forum dedicated to "minor" fan mods and games.
That already exists. That's the Developer's Studio. I.E.: Where we are now. So our problem of getting a place to allow more in-depth discussion of the game and its competitive aspects is still very much a problem.

This game, which is largely specifically tailored to competitive players and has paid serious attention to professionalism, is absolutely on a different league than, say, Super Smash Bros. Rumble, which was just made for fun, and should be in a different category than things like those.

Last edited:

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
That already exists. That's the Developer's Studio. I.E.: Where we are now. So our problem of getting a place to allow more in-depth discussion of the game and its competitive aspects is still very much a problem.

This game is absolutely on a different league than, say, Super Smash Bros. Rumble, and should be in a different category than those.
Maybe it's cause no one really posted anything on there. Other than the Super Smash Flash 2 main thread, there didn't seem to be any discussion in the first place. I was hoping that someone will move this thread to the Developer's Studio section.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Exactly. Nobody knows to look in the obscure Developer's Studio, so the game's potential is left undiscussed.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Exactly. Nobody knows to look in the obscure Developer's Studio, so the game's potential is left undiscussed.
It's so obscure I never even heard of it before. I guess we have to wait till the release of Beta before any major change happens.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I will, of course, try to ask. I just have to think of the right way to say it first.

cacatod12

Smash Cadet
Why? Can you explain in furthur detail please?
Also, it's been so long since someone posted on this thread, and since the release of beta is just around the corner, I want to renew this thread.
His side b can combo very easily and its is inescapable at some percents. It can kill characters with bad recovery after a good setup at almost any percent. Also he is immune to many projectiles while doing this.

Last edited:

cacatod12

Smash Cadet
Due to "popular" demand, and to celebrate the announcement of SSF Beta, I created my personal 0.9b tier list. I feel like this should help since the McLeodGaming Wiki haven't uploaded their version yet:

*Keep in mind this list is heavily opinionated, and is made by a 15 year old who have too much time on his hands.

SS tier:
1-Ichigo
2-Sora

S tier:
3-Zelda
4-Chibi Robo
5-Pikachu
6-Naruto

A tier:
7-Black Mage
8-Marth
9-Link
10-Bomber Man
11-Jigglypuff

B tier:
12-Lloyd
13-Kirby
14-Mega Man
15-Wario
16-Fox
17-Tails
18-Peach

C tier:
19-Yoshi
20-Ness
21-Donkey Kong

D tier:
22-Captain Falcon
23-Meta Knight
24-Goku
25-Sonic
26-Samus

E tier:
27-Zero Suit Samus
28-Mario
Is ichigo really that good? I have always seen him as a lacking character

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Is ichigo really that good? I have always seen him as a lacking character
He's not seen as the best anymore, but he's still considered high-up. His pseudo-wavedash really cancels out several of his flaws.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
He's not seen as the best anymore, but he's still considered high-up. His pseudo-wavedash really cancels out several of his flaws.
I wonder who topped him? Under a good player's hands, he is nearly unapproachable.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
:GCB::GCR::GCB::GCU: or :GCB::GCL::GCB::GCU: <--------- The main chibirobo combo
Hmm, I never know his side special can be canceled into his recovery move. I just know that his recovery is really good, and his grab is deadly combined with his netural-b jab resets.

Animekey

Smash Cadet
NNID
Animekey
3DS FC
2277-7760-6665
I remember following SSF2, ever since he released a flash trailer of it on Newgrounds. Though, frankly I'm gonna have a tough time getting into the competitive scene. I didn't play Melee, or learn the tricks of Wavedashing, etc. I barely even know how to L-Cancel. Is that even in SSF2?

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
I remember following SSF2, ever since he released a flash trailer of it on Newgrounds. Though, frankly I'm gonna have a tough time getting into the competitive scene. I didn't play Melee, or learn the tricks of Wavedashing, etc. I barely even know how to L-Cancel. Is that even in SSF2?
Fortunately for you then none of those are in SSF2.

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
Ah goody, I remember one time I was poking around SSF2. And some characters had Psuedo-Wavedashing, and such.
Oh okay, I see what you mean now. Yeah but you don't have to worry, the physics of the game are the same as brawl's just a bit faster and with more hitstun.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Fortunately for you then none of those are in SSF2.
Actually, L-Cancel kinda is, but they auto cancel every aerial for you.

Honestly you don't have to get into the competitive scene at all to enjoy SSF2. My friends are having fun just fine playing casually against me. Also, learning how to space and rely more on aerials gave you a short cut to competitive leveled play.

Last edited:

Animekey

Smash Cadet
NNID
Animekey
3DS FC
2277-7760-6665

Honestly you don't have to get into the competitive scene at all to enjoy SSF2. My friends are having fun just fine playing casually against me. Also, learning how to space and rely more on aerials gave you a short cut to competitive leveled play.
I would play more online, my laptop is a toaster and can't run it well enough for some reason. How do tilts on a keyboard? It's kinda tough.

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
L-canceling and auto canceling are pretty different. Auto canceling does not require a deliberate button input, so it isn't really that relevant.

I would play more online, my laptop is a toaster and can't run it well enough for some reason. How do tilts on a keyboard? It's kinda tough.
Just hold the direction for a little while longer than you would for a smash attack. It also depends on your control scheme. If you play with "always dash" on, you'd need to map a walk button if you want to do forward tilts. For up-tilt you have to press forward/backwards + up + attack at the same time. For down tilt just crouch then attack.

Last edited:

The_Realistic

Smash Rookie
What I don't understand is you can make some amazing combos with Sonic, mixed with his high speed he can be a force to be reckoned with, but he's C-tier

Top Bottom