• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Con 2015 Ruleset

Ruleset

• Total voters

Nintendude

Smash Hero
It's first and foremost a convention, and second a tournament. $65 is dirt cheap compared to some cons out there, including others in the DC area.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
i support a dreamland-only ruleset for smash tournaments because it's the most neutral stage with good platform options & ledges... the other stages have camping issues & other problems that have already been discussed. for a dreamland-only ruleset a timer would be unnecessary & distracting imho.

for anyone complaining that a character isn't viable on dreamland: step up your game. the stage isn't the problem; it's your sub-par skills to blame. besides it's not like you'd pick link anyways so why are you whining about it?

also, $65 is way cheaper than most chess tournaments i've been to, & well worth it for a smash-only venue. if it sounds too steep to any of you i suggest taking a break from smash for a while to get a better job lined up.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
I don't understand why people like the other stages over dreamland.

Hyrule, you can approach from the left and right, rarely from above or below.

In Dreamland you can approach from left and right, and most the time from above and below.

This entire game IS approaching. If you're having fun waiting between approaching from the left or right on hyrule I got some news for you...

Synesthesia

Smash Cadet
i support a dreamland-only ruleset for smash tournaments because it's the most neutral stage with good platform options & ledges... the other stages have camping issues & other problems that have already been discussed. for a dreamland-only ruleset a timer would be unneccesary & distracting imho.

for anyone complaining that a character isn't viable on dreamland: step up your game. the stage isn't the problem; it's your sub-par skills to blame. besides it's not like you'd pick link anyways so why are you whining about it?
I don't think people were whining about link being bad on dreamland ( it was mostly me talking) they were just using it as a debate point against "certain characters are bad on congo". The same argument could be made for these characters by simply saying "step up your game with them". Camping is not as one-sided as many people choose to believe. In a camping situation a good player will out mind-game the camping player and bait them into an approach. I do however agree with the dreamland only ruleset though. I'm just making the point.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Has anyone considered just banning the clouds on Yoshis also?
Just a few off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts on that:
  • the blast zones on the right are further from the stage than on the left side
  • the stage is vertically challenging; vertical camping is much better than on DL
  • the platforms are staggered which eliminates some characters abilities to maneuver properly
  • the clouds are still there... people will inadvertently land on them regardless of the ban

Dark Horse

Smash Cadet
I strongly feel that peach's is not a reasonable stage because of the absence of ledges to grab. I'm on the fence about Congo because of the inability to ledge DI.

I am in support of Congo, DL, and Hyrule AS LONG AS there is a timer set. Everyone's issues with the other stages seem to be camping and drawing out a match. Well, if there is a timer, won't we (mostly) fix that problem? Could you picture someone getting ahead and then camping for 5 straight minutes until the timer runs out (I call it The Mayweather)? I suppose it could happen.

My vote is for :

5 stock
DL, Hyrule, Congo
8 min timer

I think the inclusion of other stages will help grow the game by forcing new meta to develop and making it more entertaining to watch. Those things are important to consider if we want to grow the scene.

I'm rambling, I'm done.

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Everyone's issues with the other stages seem to be camping and drawing out a match. Well, if there is a timer, won't we (mostly) fix that problem? Could you picture someone getting ahead and then camping for 5 straight minutes until the timer runs out
Yes I could picture that. In fact I think a timer makes it more likely.

Shears

Smash Master
So I'll be meeting with the SSC staff tonight and discuss the ruleset. As the poll reads the leading results in each category are:

Stocks: 5 stocks
Stages: DL only
Timers: Optional 8 minute timer
Other: Pikachu or Jigglypuff only, Saffron City, Pokeballs Very High

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
So I'll be meeting with the SSC staff tonight and discuss the ruleset. As the poll reads the leading results in each category are:

Sounds perfect to me. So pumped for DL only.

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice

Looks like I'll be counter picking to saffron a lot

Shears

Smash Master
Smashcon rules. OP updated with them.
General Rules

·Game Settings: 5 Stocks, Optional 8 Minute Time Limit

·Items are disabled.

·Accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.

·A tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage.

Doubles Rules

·Friendly Fire enabled

·Life stealing stocks from a teammate is allowed

Stage List

Neutral Stages

·Dream Land

Match Procedure

1.Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.

2.Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses controller port.

3.The players play the first match of the set.

4.The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.

5.The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.

6.The losing player of the preceding match may change their controller port.

7.The next match is played.

8.Repeat steps 4-7 until best of 3, or best of 5 for Top 8, is finished.

Additional Rules

·Optional Timer: There is an optional 8 minute timer a player/team can request before the start of a game. If requested by any player or team, the match will have an 8 minute timer. The player/team must seek a TO to oversee the match with a timer. The timer will be placed next to the TV so both players/teams can see it. If the timer is up and the match is not finished the TO will declare the victor using the tie breaking rules.

·Stalling (if option timer is not invoked): Excessive unwillingness to engage the opponent is disallowed at the risk of being forced to forfeit the match by the TO. If there is no movement from either player, the losing player is considered to be stalling.

·Neutral Start: The following ports are to be used when a player/team invokes the neutral start rule:

Singles: Port 2, Port 4
Doubles: Team A, Team B, Team B, Team A

Last edited:

Synesthesia

Smash Cadet
Woah?.... we're banning hyrule for teams? or am i miss-reading this? Banning hyrule from teams is kindof ridiculous. It's a great teams stage. It's not campy and even imo buffs the lower tiers in teams. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. What's the argument against hyrule in teams?...

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Woah?.... we're banning hyrule for teams? or am i miss-reading this? Banning hyrule from teams is kindof ridiculous. It's a great teams stage. It's not campy and even imo buffs the lower tiers in teams. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. What's the argument against hyrule in teams?...
Hyrule can eventually become 1v1

Synesthesia

Smash Cadet
Hyrule can eventually become 1v1
That's true. and the situation does happen often. But i did watch doubles for apex, and I didnt see a situation like this happening that resulted in camping(maybe mild camping). Then again not all sets were streamed. Hryule in teams did make for more interesting sets though. firo and nintendude were counterpicking there because it made it more difficult for ness to be gimped.(i assume that was the reason). I do feel that most teams matches come down to a 2v1 situation though, and even if the situation is more common than i know of, the players only have 1 stock to work with, and the camping would be very short. However, i know the arguement will be made that if it comes down to a lower tier to a higher tier character that the lower tier is at a huge disadvantage on hyrule, but too me its up to you and your teammate to keep that from happening knowing that your team would be at a disadvantage. Like i said i feel like character with bad recovery are slightly buffed on hyrule(in teams ofcourse). And that factor should not be overlooked when deciding if its a balanced stage for teams, but this is all my imo. I'd love to see some input from other players.

Shears

Smash Master
You're not reading it wrong. Hyrule is dead, RIP 1999-2015.

Hyrule can become 1v1. Counterpicking there and winning is just a gimmick that brings you back to dreamland to lose. It had no effect on tournament results and instead extended sets unnecessarily, because of this Hyrule becomes a don't care condition and is cut when we trim the fat. Nintendude approved this ruleset and with him being the one, along with firo, to counterpick it at Apex and successfully take a game off jaime and boom speaks to how the stages ban is justified.

In a year or two years no one will be crying about Hyrule. When the ruleset changed from all stages to banning a few to banning even more people cried everytime. But where is everyone, years later, crying about yoshis island or saffron city being banned?

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
looking forward to assistant TOing (y)

Glasgowsmile

Smash Rookie
In regard to yoshi, would it be theoretically a legal stage if a timer is enforced like in hyrule and landing on the cloud on the far right while recovering will be treated as a stock loss? i feel that the 2 near clouds aren´t breaking the game so much but if i´m mistaken, landing on them while recovering could just also count as a stock loss. i can hardly see why this stage played in this way wouldn´t be a valid option as it deals with the blastzone problem since it narrows the stage enforcing a more aggressive play.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
In regard to yoshi, would it be theoretically a legal stage if a timer is enforced like in hyrule and landing on the cloud on the far right while recovering will be treated as a stock loss? i feel that the 2 near clouds aren´t breaking the game so much but if i´m mistaken, landing on them while recovering could just also count as a stock loss. i can hardly see why this stage played in this way wouldn´t be a valid option as it deals with the blastzone problem since it narrows the stage enforcing a more aggressive play.
Then it screws several characters over as they have to mess up their recoveries to avoid landing on the clouds

Glasgowsmile

Smash Rookie
maybe but that doesn´t really matter as it´s not a question about viable and non-viable chars but more a question of allowing yoshis as counterpick stage for more variety. plus what char gets really affected by it? rat doesn´t care, floaties like kirby and jiggs can play around it, samus usually recovers from below anyway, so does donkey. mario and luigi have a decent enough recovery that they can get around it too. maybe chars with really bad and limited recovery like falcon and link but then it´d be just the same as if they were to recover on DL if they have the option to hit the cloud at all. maybe yoshi, fox, ness if any at all. i don´t really get your point fireblaster

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
The stage isn't even good, it's super vertical and has massive horizontal blast zones. It's not symmetrical and doesn't have neutral spawns. But even if none of that were true, I still think this brawl style houseruling thing is dumb. What if it looked like someone touched one of the clouds, but only briefly, and the players can't agree? Do we need to watch a replay or something to settle that?

We have a very good neutral stage, we don't need to try to cram another one in that obviously doesn't work with weird houserules.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
It's also really easy to platform camp on Yoshi's. It's so bad that it makes Congo Jungle look viable to characters with bad vertical movement.

The stage sucks, clouds or none.

Last edited:

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
Common.. i'm a defender of multiple stages, and even so, i think this stage is horrible...

The platforms are way too high and that weird bend in the middle of the main floor is annoying and unnecessary.

Top Bottom