• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade Told Not To Stream During Apex 2015

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
The creators of the Smash fan game super Smash Brothers Crusade have announced recently that they have been asked to not stream at Apex 2015. The Crusade development team has attended Apex for the past 2 years, and with fan support this is to be their third year at Apex 2015. Those who visit them at their booth Apex will have a chance to play Crusade v0.9.1 which includes expansions to Classic Mode and Multi-Man Crusade, a more dynamic camera, smaller stages, upgraded physics, balance improvements, a visual overhaul, and more.

Ridley and Crash Bandicoot Smashing on one stage

It has not been announced who exactly asked the Crusade Team to not stream their event. Super Smash Flash 2, a similar fan made game that also will have a booth at Apex has plans to stream at Apex on their channel as well and has not made any announcements about being asked to stop either. It will be curious to see if the streaming plans for either team change so close to the event.

SmashCapps has never tried Crusade before but wants to give it a go in light of this news. Follow him on Twitter to share experiences with the game.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Guarantee Nintendo is behind this... recently they've been hating their most hardcore fans... LP'ers, fangames, etc

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ridley is so small in that picture.
I wonder if SSF2 will also be told not to stream.

KVLTofMetal

Smash Lord
NNID
KVLTLancelot
SSF2 better not get blacked out. I've been waiting too long to see Beta and after that hype as hell direct they can't just not show it off

Tempus

Smash Cadet
This could very well simply be a bandwidth thing. They're going to have three high quality streams being uploaded the entire time the venue is open, plus an enormous amount of players using wifi for browsing and social media, plus the regular hotel traffic.

Unless the hotel has an extremely good internet service, quite possible the venue simply can't manage that many uploads.

And if it can manage one or two more HQ streams going, then I'd rather have a fourth and fifth stream on the event than a fan game. We could use a dedicated doubles stream for example, and more time allocated for 64.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
This could very well simply be a bandwidth thing. They're going to have three high quality streams being uploaded the entire time the venue is open, plus an enormous amount of players using wifi for browsing and social media, plus the regular hotel traffic.

Unless the hotel has an extremely good internet service, quite possible the venue simply can't manage that many uploads.

And if it can manage one or two more HQ streams going, then I'd rather have a fourth and fifth stream on the event than a fan game. We could use a dedicated doubles stream for example, and more time allocated for 64.
  1. One more stream isn't going to cause any problems.
  2. Doubles never occurs at the same time as singles
  3. The fact Apex never tells us why these things are happening is ridiculous. We shouldn't have to play the guessing game with this.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Hm, sucks, I'll watch some other tournaments of this game cause I've never actually seen it in competetive play.

Tempus

Smash Cadet
One more stream could very well cause problems. The usual bitrate of throughput required for a 1080p stream is about 3.5-8 Mb/s per stream, depending on compression. If you have less than that available, your stream will lag significantly.

I know from experience that the largest business package available from an ISP in my own North American city s 250$ a month and only offer 5 Mb/s upload speed, barely enough for a single 1080p stream. I'd hope that being in the New York Metropolitan has significantly better options, as well as being a large hotel they may have their own dedicated service or T1 backbone installed.

Regardless, they need to have enough throughput available to handle all three streams, plus potentially other unauthorized visitor streams/skype calls, plus regular traffic from Apex attendees. It's a significant load to put on a network, and if they're uncertain at all the network can handle it they may ask third parties to avoid streaming.

And asking Apex team of volunteers to put out press releases for every tiny logistical detail is difficult. They should be more transparent, true, but they are working hard to make the event a success and you cannot expect 100% perfect coordination and organization from a group of volunteers that has little professional event expertise, limited funds, do it only once a year and almost none of them get paid. So cut em' a bit of slack.

Lastly, literally no doubles event does not have at least two singles events running concurrently. Brawl and 64 doubles aren't being streamed, Smash 4 doubles we only see the top 16, and Melee doubles the top 32 and a tad of pool play at 9pm on Fri. Yet there are over 500 doubles teams with 1000 entrants. Plus Doubles are hype.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Guarantee Nintendo is behind this... recently they've been hating their most hardcore fans... LP'ers, fangames, etc
Are you nuts? Other than @ CyberHyperPhoenix CyberHyperPhoenix 's link showing otherwise, if they really were hating on those things, they'd be shooting out cease and desists left, right and centre.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Odd, because SSF2 is getting a stream.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
The more I hear about Apex, the happier I am I chose not to go. This would have been my first year, but it seems like I'm not missing anything other than a boatload of drama.

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Regardless of Nintebdo's probable involvement with this, I think it's more important that Nintendo sponsors Apex than not. This is the first time they've done something like this, so it's not surprising that there'd be a few missteps as to how to deal with the content they see. Crusade, and to a greater extent, Project M compete with Nintendo own games in some respects.
I'm sure they'll come to some reasonable action (or preferably lack of action) with dedicated fan projects such as these. In fact, I guarantee that not only will Nintendo sponsor the next Apex, but Project M will be there as well.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Even though I don't like Crusade very much, I'm sorry to hear this happen. I do know it has a lot of fans.

Odd, because SSF2 is getting a stream.
It's probably someone who owns a Crusade-exclusive character, such as Ubisoft or whoever the hell owns Crash right now.

Steelo Rivers

Smash Cadet
it makes sense considering there is a **** ton of copyright issues that could come with it. I'm not sure how everyone could be super mad about this. If Nintendo's sponsoring the event and all of a sudden a competitors character is in the game, they can get in trouble for allowing it to happen.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
But would we be able to put it on their consoles? That would be just amazing.
Uh, no. Nintendo wants only themselves to put out the games with their characters on their consoles. If they let people make their own games with the characters and put them up for free (because let's face it, Nintendo would let you starve before letting you make money off their IPs), people will get confused on the possible mediocre games and could possibly lessen the IPs value.

Before anyone says, "Oh, but what about Mario Maker?" That's different. Nintendo is letting people make their own games, but within Nintendo's parameters in the vein of LittleBigPlanet. So if the level sucks, give it that rating and move on to the next user created content.

Anyway, I've never heard of Smash Bros Crusade, and while I don't care for the Smash flash games, it sucks for them. However, it might have to do with some business aspects between Apex and Nintendo. I doubt Apex would want to sour any relations with Nintendo, so they're most likely telling them to not stream.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Even though I don't like Crusade very much, I'm sorry to hear this happen. I do know it has a lot of fans.

It's probably someone who owns a Crusade-exclusive character, such as Ubisoft or whoever the hell owns Crash right now.
Ah, yes. The age old question of "who owns Crash Bandicoot, and why are they ignoring him?"

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Uh, no. Nintendo wants only themselves to put out the games with their characters on their consoles. If they let people make their own games with the characters and put them up for free (because let's face it, Nintendo would let you starve before letting you make money off their IPs), people will get confused on the possible mediocre games and could possibly lessen the IPs value.

Before anyone says, "Oh, but what about Mario Maker?" That's different. Nintendo is letting people make their own games, but within Nintendo's parameters in the vein of LittleBigPlanet. So if the level sucks, give it that rating and move on to the next user created content.

Anyway, I've never heard of Smash Bros Crusade, and while I don't care for the Smash flash games, it sucks for them. However, it might have to do with some business aspects between Apex and Nintendo. I doubt Apex would want to sour any relations with Nintendo, so they're most likely telling them to not stream.
I can guarantee you that's not what happened here.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t..._characters_in_non_commercial_media_says.html

In addition, Super Smash Flash 2, a much more famous fangame than Crusade, has gotten no such notice, which leads me to suspect that it was the owner of a character that is in Crusade but not SSF2, such as Rayman or Crash Bandicoot, that asked them not to stream.

Last edited:

Ggjeed

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5634-9439
Nintendo is supporting Apex, everybody get's excited. These offbrand games get told no, ppl suspect Nintendo did it, they get pissed. Nintendo not wanting to promote 3rd party games that use ALL nintendo stuff is not fan hating...it's...normal business protocol. If you want the project so bad take out the nintendo references and make it OC and then you can get mad if Nintendo tries something.

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo is supporting Apex, everybody get's excited. These offbrand games get told no, ppl suspect Nintendo did it, they get pissed. Nintendo not wanting to promote 3rd party games that use ALL nintendo stuff is not fan hating...it's...normal business protocol. If you want the project so bad take out the nintendo references and make it OC and then you can get mad if Nintendo tries something.
I think this is more of a hypocrisy issue, they'll let SSF2 in, but not Crusade or Project M? Whats special about SSF2 that lets THEM get a free pass? Its obviously not a copyright issue because SSF2 has ****ing Goku and Ichigo

Ggjeed

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5634-9439
I think this is more of a hypocrisy issue, they'll let SSF2 in, but not Crusade or Project M? Whats special about SSF2 that lets THEM get a free pass? Its obviously not a copyright issue because SSF2 has ****ing Goku and Ichigo
It could be as simple as SSF2 has paid some sort of royalty or cut a deal. Maybe we just haven't heard it being taken away yet.

Top Bottom