• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Brawl: More than just another game?

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Ok guys, this may sount good or worthless, because I am not sure I know how to say what I mean. But is it just me or does Brawl seem to be more than just another game?

It seems like it would stand out on GameStop's shelf, behind Wal-Mart's glass, on the shelf next to the rest of your Wii games. It seems like Brawl is just more, bigger, better.

Nintendo may know it or may not know it, but it seems like they have the Halo 3 of 2008 on their hands. It just might be the biggest, most anticipated game ever released by Nintendo.

There are the great, incredible games. The big names. The Killer Apps. The ones that make a console worth owning. Halo 2, Mario Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon Red and Blue, Resistance Fall of Man, Super Paper Mario, Final Fantasy 7, Halo, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros Melee, Bully, Blue Dragon, New Super Mario Bros.

But then there are the ones that are as close to perfection as a video game can get. The ones that not even the ones I already listed couldnt even dream of coming close to touching. The ones that normally come out only once every gaming generation, if that. The Ultimate. The better than the best. Super Mario Brothers 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Kingdom Hearts 2, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Halo 3. And Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

This game is just more, bigger, better. Going to pick up a game like Destroy All Humans, Red Steel, or Chibi Robo Park Patrol is something good. You are getting a game you think you will enjoy, and you most likley do. Getting one of those killer apps I was talking, that is a little more. It's a good feeling as you leave GameStop and you know you are about to have a great time.

But just buying a game of what seems like Brawl is the calibar of, it's something more, like just picking it up at the store, realizing it isnt sold out and that it really is, finally in your hands, if something epic in itself.

And in 7-10 years, when the PS3, Wii, and 360 are becoming things of the past, and each system only has about 5 games on Wal-Mart's shelf, Brawl will be there, still selling. Because it is one of the all time great games, one of the ones that the industry is built upon. Something the creators of it are as excited about making as you are about playing. The exact opposite of a GBA cart containing The Suite Life of Zach and Cody.

Idk, I know I am rambling. But is it just me, or does Brawl seem like it's more? Like sitting next to other games in the store, even great ones, it seems like it is too good. Like a 'Wii would like to play' commercial just cant hold in the epic. Brawl, to me, already seems like something more, bigger, better.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
A game is a game, no matter how high the quality.

A collection of code yielding to you, the buyer, enjoyment.

Thinking of it as a higher thing is really weird, as it will always be a game nothing more...

But you know what? To each their own...

Talendime

Smash Ace
I think it's more than just another game because it has that sense of ultimate unity between so many different heroes.

I get what you're saying, and I agree.

Neoriceisgood

Smash Cadet
although I agree with you on points, are you sure about that "Better than best" list? I haven't played all of those games, but I'm inclined to say that some of the examples may give you some flack, which you may want to avoid as (although pretty much everything is) the subjectivity is glaring obvious on some games.

I'm guessing "more than just another game" can be better defined as "All time classic", wouldn't it?

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
He also put Halo up there. Just because I hate the game doesn't make it any less popular.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
It is more then just a game. A meaning one.

Smash Bros Brawl has a multitude of games with in it. All of the different modes bythemselves are worth paying for.

I don't think thats what you mean though. :p

He also put Halo up there. Just because I hate the game doesn't make it any less popular.

I played Halo 3 online and campaign and was left underwhelmed. .. :ohwell:

Really is a shame that game gets put up on a pedestal like it does.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Kingdom Hearts 2 is far from the best game... no difficulty whatsoever...

But, hey, Smash Bros. is a big game. No denying that. The main aspect of Smash Bros. that makes it appealing are what I call dream fights. You get to battle anyone that you can dream of from the Nintendo universe (and who's also a playable character, of course.) These fights have been wanted ever since Nintendo introduced more than one character to the field. And now, it's not only Nintendo characters that it's limited to. Sonic Vs. Mario: the Ultimate Showdown is was is going to be in many Smasher's minds this coming February.

Not only what I mentioned above, but it has one of the best multiplayer experiences out there. I don't think I need to explain that.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
There are the great, incredible games. The big names. The Killer Apps. The ones that make a console worth owning. Halo 2, Mario Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon Red and Blue, Resistance Fall of Man, Super Paper Mario, Final Fantasy 7, Halo, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros Melee, Bully, Blue Dragon, New Super Mario Bros.
Haha, are you kidding me?

WR3K

Smash Ace
no duh you idiots.... of course its bigger and better

its going to be the next 4 years of fighting competition and discussion for us.

more time, money, effort, and people went in to this game then most others on the shelves

OF COURSE it is different from mario party 8 and elebits

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Hey man kudos to your appreciation for everything that is gaming and of course Brawl. Which makes me hate to bash your post.... I understand Bully, b/c it is a neat game and deserves respect. But Kingdom Heart? Kingdom Heart represent pretty much everything that is wrong with modern gaming. Especially Kingdom Heart 2, I don't even want to consider it as a video game, I feel so offended when Chain of Memory came on one the best system Nintendo ever present: The GBA. B/c I don't want Nintendo to associate with anything that kind. Then again: The Suite life of Zach and Cody doesn't help either.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
I know what you mean. This game is going to be a masterpiece that will be appreciated for years. If we are so devoted to Melee and this game is going to be better than Melee, then this game is going to own our souls.

And yeah, your list is kind've meh.

Shadoshi

Smash Rookie
I like where he is going, but strongly dislike and disagree with how he approached it.

One a slightly off-beat note: Another thing that makes this game so epic-worthy is the fact that it features the most gaming musicians ever featured on a single game, something that absolutely excites me because I happen to like more than half of the composers being used.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter if he put kingdom hearts in his post, each of us have a game instilled within us all. For me, that game is Jak 3. (Lol, I'm starting to sound like Dr. Phil.)

Anyway, The only reason I think SSBB will be epic is because of it's deep storyline, the Subspace Emissionary.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
A game is a game, no matter how high the quality.

A collection of code yielding to you, the buyer, enjoyment.

Thinking of it as a higher thing is really weird, as it will always be a game nothing more...

But you know what? To each their own...
Thanks for all the support to the gaming industry into becoming an undisputed form of art. Since it's all just code, who cares if it can move people? Who cares if it can make people cry? Who cares if it can bring the player to realize something he/she didn't know about him/herself?

It is thoughts like that which give critics a contempt for video games and the notion that games cannot be anything more than mindless entertainment. Games are for enjoyment, but they have the potential to become a work of art.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Well, most people think video games are for kids... because the last video game they played was Super Mario Bros. 3. >.>.

I can't wait for the day video games are respected as a form of media along the lines of movies/music/etc. Then again, I hate the fact of what Nintendo's doing...

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 is great I have it, but ssbb is gonna be uber fun. I'd say the value of 2 halo3s.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
*enter fanboys bashing games they don't like, completely missing the point of the thread*

Seriously guys, ignore the list and grow a pair.

Anyway, to me Brawl is just another good game [well, assuming it's anything like SSB64 and Melee] to add to my collection of the hardest games to put down.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
who the **** cares what he listed as "the best games" or wutever, the point is that Brawl will be epic beyond belief and we will be playing that **** till we are like 70, possibly even 98 for those who make it that far in life. pointless bashing in uncool.

Top Bottom