• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Super Smash Bros. for 3DS sells over 1 million in first week

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
It really bugs me when people say this. During the planning phase the only reason they decided to make a Wii U version was because of the tiny screen. Not because of graphics, not because of capabilities, and not because one is better than the other. The "real" version would likely be the one that the most customers would buy. Like the next gen consoles and destiny. Along with this the 3DS has sold 37 million more consoles than the Wii U.
As you can see if one is the "real" version it's the 3DS one.
Exactly! I'm getting really sick and tired of people calling the Wii U version the "real" version of Smash Bros. That's just so ignorant! After seeing several streams of Smash Bros. for 3DS I can safely say that it's a full and complete Smash Bros. game through and through. And honestly, who wouldn't want to play Smash Bros. wherever they go!? And if people are hating on the 3DS version for cutting Ice Climbers, that's just terribly sad. Not only are you missing out on an excellent Smash Bros. game but your acting fairly childish.

Anyways, very happy to see 3DS version doing so well in Japan. 1 million in just three days in comparable to Monster Hunter sales, which is freaking amazing! Hoping to see the 3DS version surpass the sales of Pokemon X and Y and take it's rightful place as the best selling piece of software on the 3DS :)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Pssssssssssssssssssssst, Nintendo. Don't tell anybody, but more characters for the Wii U version would be a REALLY good idea. *shifty eyes*
It would be a terrible idea, actually. Both versions should have the same roster, with DLC released for both versions later.
Its sad that the better version will sell less, But hopefully this will increase sales of the wii U...
There is no such thing as a "better version".

Last edited:

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Its sad that the better version will sell less, But hopefully this will increase sales of the wii U...

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
It would be a terrible idea, actually. Both versions should have the same roster, with DLC released for both versions later.

There is no such thing as a "better version".
Im sorry but I didnt quite undertand that. care to explain..please?
If you're just going to ignore arguments you disagree with why even post ?

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Im sorry but I didnt quite undertand that. care to explain..please?
Okay. Here's an analogy I brought up on another thread.
"Take Sonic Unleashed for example. Did they reduce the PS3 version so the PS2 version would be on par with it? No, PS2 had lots of content reduced and even had stages taken away since it was a vastly inferior system to the PS3. And we dealt with it."

Are 3DS and Wii U equal in terms of power? No. By trying to make them equal, they pretty much brought it down to the lowest possible denominator and favored that one. Ice Climbers work on Wii U but not 3DS. Not equal so let's just cut them. It just results in a loss.

Last edited:

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Im not ignoring it I.... Legit didnt understand what he said.
I already gave an answer to a very similar question you yourself already asked in this very thread :
"He specifically addresses the absence of the Ice Climbers as well. It seems they were running in the Wii U version, but due to the required hardware power, the team couldn’t make them work in the 3DS game."
If that's not proof the 3DS version made the two games worst I don't know what is. It's basically saying the gamecube was more powerful and that as such, the Wii U version couldn't exceed gamecube limitations gameplay wise.
Besides portability the 3DS version is worst in every way, be it controls, graphics or content, so was that really worth it ?
Judging from what you're asking right now you downright ignored it.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Okay. Here's an analogy I brought up on another thread.
"Take Sonic Unleashed for example. Did they reduce the PS3 version so the PS2 version would be on par with it? No, PS2 had lots of content reduced and even had stages taken away since it was a vastly inferior system to the PS3. And we dealt with it."

Are 3DS and Wii U equal in terms of power? No. By trying to make them equal, they pretty much brought it down to the lowest possible denominator and favored that one. Ice Climbers work on Wii U but not 3DS. Not equal so let's just cut them. It just results in a loss.
Please keep Ice Climbers out of any and all arguments as that only gets threads locked from what I have seen at least pfff. and also, you would rather one get be better so the other will suffer the loss.. is what I am getting out of this? Either thats what you said or I still dont understand why you wouldnt want them equal. At last when they are equal, people like you wouldnt start fights about " Wii U game is better". We would just go " They are both good, moving on"

Last edited:

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Please keep Ice Climbers out of any and all arguments as that only gets threads locked from what I have seen at least pfff. and also, you would rather one get be better so the other will suffer the loss.. is what I am getting out of this? Either thats what you said or I still dont understand why you wouldnt want them equal. At last when they are equal, people like you wouldnt start fights about " Wii U game is better". We would just go " They are both good, moving on"
I'm sorry but for a game like this a handled and home console version can't possibly be equal. The handled will always be technicaly inferior and drag the home console down if the devs strive to make them both equal gameplay-wise. There is also absolutely no contest between 3DS controls and a gamecube controller.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I'm sorry but for a game like this a handled and home console version can't possibly be equal. The handled will always be technicaly inferior and drag the home console down if the devs strive to make them both equal gameplay-wise. There is also absolutely no contest between 3DS controls and a gamecube controller.
This is acually extreamly laughable. I dont see why people can take the fact both copies are good :/ its also sad you cant just be happy the 3DS version is selling good in Japan and just still insult it

Last edited:

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
This is acually extreamly laughable. I dont see why people can take the fact both copies are good :/
I'm not even sure if you're trolling or incapable of basic understanding.
We're not saying any of the version is bad, I'm going to enjoy them both anyway, we're saying having them both ultimately brought the quality of the game down, and it's a fact.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
We're not saying any of the version is bad, I'm going to enjoy them both anyway, we're saying having them both ultimately brought the quality of the game down, and it's a fact.
Im not even going to bother anymore. Sure, fine, call me incapable of basic understanding. I just want this argument to end

double post, so sorry.

Last edited:

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Im not even going to bother anymore. Sure, fine, call me incapable of basic understanding. I just want this argument to end

double post, so sorry.
I'm getting mad because you're not even trying to refute my arguments, you're just parroting I'm wrong "because".

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
A fact you've yet to prove. We've barely seen anything from the Wii U version so I fail to see how having both versions has diminished the quality them. And please don't use Ice Climber's as an example cause one character being cut do to the 3DS's limitations does not count. Character cut's were to be expected, hardware limitations or otherwise. If your not satisfied with the 51 character roster (Mii Fighter's included), then that's your problem. Most of us will enjoy each version for what they are. Saying both versions ultimately brought down the quality is just silly. Seeing the 3DS version in action via streams on Twitch proves it to me.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
But you can't have both be equal when the power and architecture of both systems are greatly different. It's impossible.
Now, why do they have to be equal?
Remember in the first trailer when the Super Smash Bros title comes up and then splits in two for 3DS and Wii U. That's symbolically what happened to the game.
"Orignally this was a 3DS exclusive". Yes, it was. But then they decided to make a Wii U version. But instead of making two separate games, they broke this one and they're making two halves of the same game.
They should have instead completed the 3DS game as the full package and make the Wii U version it's own thing.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
lol @ anyone who thinks that the games are objectively equally as good. Yes because the game that has limited control scheme without having to buy an all new console, wireless only multiplayer and online, 240p resolution that looks horrible when streamed, and only has 2 tracks per stage is totally just as good as the console version that has a wired controller option online, HD visuals, tons of control options, and a huge soundtrack. Makes sense.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
A fact you've yet to prove. We've barely seen anything from the Wii U version so I fail to see how having both versions has diminished the quality of both versions. And please don't use Ice Climber's as an example cause one character being cut do to the 3DS's limitations does not count. Character cut's were to be expected, hardware limitations or otherwise. If your not satisfied with the 51 character roster (Mii Fighter's included), then that's your problem. Most of us will enjoy each version for what they are. Saying both versions ultimately brought down the quality is just silly. Seeing the 3DS version in action via streams on Twitch proves it to me.
Just leave it, I tried and failed to see what they were talking about, they think they are right so... just let them. its 12 am I dont have the time for them x.x

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
A fact you've yet to prove. We've barely seen anything from the Wii U version so I fail to see how having both versions has diminished the quality of both versions. And please don't use Ice Climber's as an example cause one character being cut do to the 3DS's limitations does not count. Character cut's were to be expected, hardware limitations or otherwise. If your not satisfied with the 51 character roster (Mii Fighter's included), then that's your problem. Most of us will enjoy each version for what they are. Saying both versions ultimately brought down the quality is just silly. Seeing the 3DS version in action via streams on Twitch proves it to me.
It's common sense, like Flaxr said, with two versions you're forced to bring them both to the lowest possible denominator. And why wouldn't the Ice Climbers count ? They're pretty much proof of the Wii U version being downgraded, they're maybe not the only thing that has been cut because of it.
We also don't live in a magical land where developpers can stop time and work on their game with infinite money. Nintendo doesn't have that "no deadlines" mentality anymore. That means less content.
I got my most wanted newcomer so I can't say I'm disappointed, but I got my main cut so I can't say I have no problem with it either. Don't get me started on Dark Pit.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
It's common sense, like Flaxr said, with two versions you're forced to bring them both to the lowest possible denominator. And why wouldn't the Ice Climbers count ? They're pretty much proof of the Wii U version being downgraded, they're maybe not the only thing that has been cut because of.
We also don't live in a magical land where developpers can stop time and work on their game with infinite money. Nintendo doesn't have that "no deadlines" mentality anymore.
I got my most wanted newcomer so I can't say I'm disappointed, but I got my main cut so I can't say I have no problem with it either. Don't get me started on Dark Pit.
Friendly reminder that this isnt a character ranting "they added them?!" " They cut who?!" Thread

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Friendly reminder that this isnt a character ranting "they added them?!" " They cut who?!" Thread
It was a direct answer to this :
Character cut's were to be expected, hardware limitations or otherwise. If your not satisfied with the 51 character roster (Mii Fighter's included), then that's your problem.
But it's nice of you to avoid giving a proper answer again.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
It's common sense, like Flaxr said, with two versions you're forced to bring them both to the lowest possible denominator. And why wouldn't the Ice Climbers count ? They're pretty much proof of the Wii U version being downgraded, they're maybe not the only thing that has been cut because of it.
We also don't live in a magical land where developpers can stop time and work on their game with infinite money. Nintendo doesn't have that "no deadlines" mentality anymore. That means less content.
The lowest common denominator? LOL XD I got a good chuckle out of that. I'm sorry but the Ice Climber's not being in doesn't prove the Wii U version was downgraded in any way. The only thing that is the same for both games is the roster and we knew they're were going to be cuts, regardless of if there was only one version or not. And Ice Climber's wasn't just axed because of hardware limitations on the 3DS but because they they didn't have high priority to begin with given no future instalment or interest in an instalment for that matter. And before you go saying, "Then why is DHD, R.O.B, Mr. Game and Watch, Ness, and other's in the game if that's the case?" let me stop you right there.

All of these character's have some relevancy and major popularity. DHD, R.O.B. and Game and Watch being iconic Nintendo legacy characters, the demand for Mother 3 for Ness and so on. Not saying that's the sole reason but that's just an educated guess. As for Nintendo not having the "no deadlines" mentality, that's also untrue. There have been multiple times within the Wii U's lifecycle that have proven they have that mentality. Also, you ever heard of patches, DLC, and updates. Yeah, that's a thing now in this day and age and Nintendo has been doing just that with multiple games like Mario Kart 8 for instance.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
The lowest common denominator? LOL XD I got a good chuckle out of that. I'm sorry but the Ice Climber's not being in doesn't prove the Wii U version was downgraded in any way. The only thing that is the same for both games is the roster and we knew they're were going to be cuts, regardless of if there was only one version or not. And Ice Climber's wasn't just axed because of hardware limitations on the 3DS but because they they didn't have high priority to begin with given no future instalment or interest in an instalment for that matter. And before you go saying, "Then why is DHD, R.O.B, Mr. Game and Watch, Ness, and other's in the game if that's the case?" let me stop you right there.

All of these character's have some relevancy and major popularity. DHD, R.O.B. and Game and Watch being iconic Nintendo legacy characters, the demand for Mother 3 for Ness and so on. Not saying that's the sole reason but that's just an educated guess. As for Nintendo not having the "no deadlines" mentality, that's also untrue. There have been multiple times within the Wii U's lifecycle that have proven they have that mentality. Also, you ever heard of patches, DLC, and updates. Yeah, that's a thing now in this day and age and Nintendo has been doing just that with multiple games like Mario Kart 8 for instance.
High priority or not they are not in the game because of the 3DS. Sakurai said it himself, they worked on the Wii U but were scraped due to 3DS limitations. And how does it not prove the Wii U version was downgraded ? Sakurai made it clear that both versions would have the same characters and the same gameplay, and as such any thing the 3DS cannot do the Wii U cannot do as well.
They're pretty much forced to have a deadline with how the Wii U is doing. They don't have the luxury of time anymore.

DLC is another story, we're not even sure it'll come and that's why everyone is complaining.

Last edited:

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
[Made a mistake trying to edit.]

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
High priority or not they are not in the game because of the 3DS. Sakurai said it himself, they worked on the Wii U but were scraped due to 3DS limitations. And how does it not prove the Wii U version was downgraded ? Sakurai made it clear that both versions would have the same characters and the same gameplay, and as such any thing the 3DS cannot do the Wii U cannot do as well.
They're pretty much forced to have a deadline with how the Wii U is doing. They don't have the luxury of time anymore.

DLC is another story, we're not even sure it'll come and that's why everyone is complaining.
Let's just drop it man. There's no point in arguing and I doubt we're getting to them anyways. This is a celebratory thread so we shouldn't be arguing. Sorry everyone.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist

Again, one character being cut doesn't mean much, hardware limitations or otherwise. Both games will still be loaded to the brim with content, characters, stages, modes, mini games, and other random crap to do. They will both be full Smash Bros. games, end of story. Like I said before, the character roster is the only thing that has to be the same for both versions, the Wii U will not be limited in other area's like stages, modes, online capabilities, features and what not. And having a pretty amazing 51 playable character roster for both systems is nothing to scoff at. Even if the Wii U version was the only version to come out, I would still expect around 45 characters or so, not this many. The 3DS version of Smash Bros. has most definitely pushed the system to it's limit that much is clear, not only in content but graphics wise as well as FPS. The Wii U version will more than likely do the same for the Wii U by pushing it to it's limit, I guarantee it.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Would've sold 3 times as much on it's first weekend if it were a worldwide release :glare:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Let's just drop it man. There's no point in arguing and I doubt we're getting to them anyways. This is a celebratory thread so we shouldn't be arguing. Sorry everyone.
Hey it's all good. Everyone is allowed to have they're opinion on the matter. It's completely up to you if your not satisfied with certain decisions or what not. I will never deprive you of your right to think differently on the matter. Let's all just agree to disagree on the matter and move on :)

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Hey it's all good. Everyone is allowed to have they're opinion on the matter. It's completely up to you if your not satisfied with certain decisions or what not. I will never deprive you of your right to think differently on the matter. Let's all just agree to disagree on the matter and move on :)
I'm glad that we can agree to disagree then.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
There is no such thing as a better version. They are equally as good.
When 1 version has everything the other version has except with Better graphics, Controls, Less glitch's, Bigger soundtrack, Better online, More trophy's, More stages, replayability, they are not equally good, (unless you get a boner over smashrun) The 3ds version is more of a Beta for the Wii U version.

Top Bottom