• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Super Smash Bros. for 3DS sells over 1 million in first week

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Nintendo announced today that Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is now the 4th game in the 3DS library to ship over a million units in its first week in Japan, after Monster Hunter 4, Pokemon X/Y and Youkai Watch 2. This number includes digital copies and though the wording in the PR report was a little ambiguous as to units sold/shipped, we can assume the number of units sold was quite close to this figure.

Source

Sell me if old.

Great news, huh? :)

If Smash 3DS keeps selling a lot, I think it is safe to assume the next title will be released for a handheld again.

DJ Dong

Smash Cadet
I wasn't surprised but I'm still very happy at the news. Let's see the Wii U version knock Wii U's off the shelves and into people's homes faster than a stolen graphing calculator.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I wasn't surprised but I'm still very happy at the news. Let's see the Wii U version knock Wii U's off the shelves and into people's homes faster than a stolen graphing calculator.
I really hope Nintendo puts millions of dollars into Marketing in America.

Because a few commercials before the week it releases isn't going to cut it.

They need adds up the butt, and if this doesn't save the Wii U, nothing will.

DJ Dong

Smash Cadet
I really hope Nintendo puts millions of dollars into Marketing in America.

Because a few commercials before the week it releases isn't going to cut it.

I'll agree with that sentiment to some extent. But to be fair, it isn't exactly dead. It's just had a lot of trouble. I'm sure Smash will do a lot for it though.

Nintendo really is horrible at advertising. The Smash series wouldn't be near what it is now without places like this website, built by fans who seem to love Nintendo's products more than they do.

Overclocked

Smash Cadet
NNID
superfamicomwars
That's pretty cool. Let's just hope it can repeat that on its release in the West and on the Wii U version.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
There are a lot of other games that will save the wii but smash is indeed the most pivotal. Petty much every single thing announced at E3 will save the wii u.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think the Wii U version will not sell as good as the 3DS version in Japan, but it is possible that it will sell more or at least on par here in the West.

Pink!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
3DS FC
3695-0038-5541
That's great news! Hopefully the Wii U version will sell well too.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Wonderful, hope the game can sell 50 million worldwide before Wii U version releases.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
It's great news but I really hope they don't release it on handleds again. More time and ressources for the "real" version.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
It's great news but I really hope they don't release it on handleds again. More time and ressources for the "real" version.
It really bugs me when people say this. During the planning phase the only reason they decided to make a Wii U version was because of the tiny screen. Not because of graphics, not because of capabilities, and not because one is better than the other. The "real" version would likely be the one that the most customers would buy. Like the next gen consoles and destiny. Along with this the 3DS has sold 37 million more consoles than the Wii U.
As you can see if one is the "real" version it's the 3DS one.

Farorae

Smash Ace
It really bugs me when people say this. During the planning phase the only reason they decided to make a Wii U version was because of the tiny screen. Not because of graphics, not because of capabilities, and not because one is better than the other. The "real" version would likely be the one that the most customers would buy. Like the next gen consoles and destiny. Along with this the 3DS has sold 37 million more consoles than the Wii U.
To be fair at the time where development began the 3DS wasn't selling that well, it was made to help both systems. Both are the "real" versions.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
I know that at first Iwata only wanted a 3DS version, but you can't deny that it overall detriments to the quality of both games to have two versions. And yes, the Wii U version is the "real" (or definitive) version, it'll sell less of course, not as many people have a Wii U, but it has the best controls, the best graphics, the most music, and is almost guaranteed to have more content.
Honestly I'll never comprehend why they would release a system seller on both consoles while the Wii U isn't doing so well. Most occasional players will stick to the 3DS version.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Imagine what that number could be if it were available in America to people with less than $250ish spare dollars.

Staccato

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I'm still really glad they made the 3DS version. I don't have a WiiU nor do I plan to buy one... And I certainly wouldn't have bought it just to play Smash 4.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
To be fair at the time where development began the 3DS wasn't selling that well, it was made to help both systems. Both are the "real" versions.
Well the 3DS already had plenty of games coming to save it, like Pokémon, Animal Crossing and plenty others. Although I can see what they wanted to do, maybe they didn't predict the Wii U would bomb that much ? Anyway the decision came in desperate times for them so they'll maybe focus on one version if they do better next generation.

To be honest, I'm still really glad they made the 3DS version. I don't have a WiiU nor do I plan to buy one... And I certainly wouldn't have bought it just to play Smash 4.
That's what you're saying right now but are you really sure you wouldn't have if it was exclusive ?
The Wii U has plenty of good games now and more coming, and Smash could have been THE final big push after MK for people to buy it.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Pssssssssssssssssssssst, Nintendo. Don't tell anybody, but more characters for the Wii U version would be a REALLY good idea. *shifty eyes*

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
The "real" version of the game is having both versions at the same time. I couldn't stand only having half the game.
But yeah, great news though shame on you if you were surprised since 3ds pretty much dominates Japan. Not bad for just the weekend though.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Pssssssssssssssssssssst, Nintendo. Don't tell anybody, but more characters for the Wii U version would be a REALLY good idea. *shifty eyes*
They really shot themselves in the foot with that one, the Wii U won't sell as much if it doesn't have more characters, but if it does it'll show Nintendo can't be trusted PR-wise.
Maybe having some characters exclusives for a few months would be the best course of action but even then it would feel like blackmail to some people.

Last edited:

Staccato

Smash Cadet
That's what you're saying right now but are you really sure you wouldn't have if it was exclusive ?
The Wii U has plenty of good games now and more coming, and Smash could have been THE final big push after MK for people to buy it.
I dunno, but probably no. The only games for WiiU that interest me are SSB4 and Xenoblade 2 (MK is not my piece of cake). Not enough to buy a consolle, from my point of view.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Wow, that's really amazing! Smash is really popular!

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
If they only sold it for WiiU, it would move less copies than Brawl.

D

Deleted member

1 million sales in Japan alone? That's mindblowing. Yeah, if 3DS sales elevate further, then we could see the next generation Smash Bros. title release for a handheld (again).

This x9000. I agree with you.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
So you people would rather have a worst game in every aspect so you don't have to buy the next gen console ?
And don't start with "I won't buy a console for one game" when millions of people worldwide are buying the PS4 for one game, and millions already bought the Wii U for Mario Kart. It's not like it has no games either, so why would you play a game celebrating Nintendo IPs if you're not even playing the games ?

Further proof the 3DS was a bad idea :
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...bros-wii-u3ds-and-more-in-new-famitsu-column/
Although it's nothing we hadn't already guessed it's nice to have a confirmation.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So you people would rather have a worst game in every aspect so you don't have to buy the next gen console ?
And don't start with "I won't buy a console for one game" when millions of people worldwide are buying the PS4 for one game, and millions already bought the Wii U for Mario Kart. It's not like it has no games either, so why would you play a game celebrating Nintendo IPs if you're not even playing the games ?

Further proof the 3DS was a bad idea :
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...bros-wii-u3ds-and-more-in-new-famitsu-column/
Although it's nothing we hadn't already guessed it's nice to have a confirmation.
How is it the worst game when they are the same? I have a Wii u but I want the 3DS game. So? you just sound like somene that just hates the 3DS game to hate it. also Ice Climers have nothing to do with anything. Ok so they wer cut....so?

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Once everyone sees the glorious 1080p and 60 frames per second on the Wii U in action the sales will sky rocket. And you can quote me on this.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
That was expected. 3DS is dominating in Japan. Of course the version you can play in the subway was gonna sell a million. (I'm expecting 2 million copies in Japan alone.) I doubt it will repeat the same success in the US. Consoles dominate here with the bigger houses and the competitive community is gonna eat up the Wii U version.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
How is it the worst game when they are the same? I have a Wii u but I want the 3DS game. So? you just sound like somene that just hates the 3DS game to hate it. also Ice Climers have nothing to do with anything. Ok so they wer cut....so?
"He specifically addresses the absence of the Ice Climbers as well. It seems they were running in the Wii U version, but due to the required hardware power, the team couldn’t make them work in the 3DS game."
If that's not proof the 3DS version made the two games worst I don't know what is. It's basically saying the gamecube was more powerful and that as such, the Wii U version couldn't exceed gamecube limitations gameplay wise.
Besides portability the 3DS version is worst in every way, be it controls, graphics or content, so was that really worth it ?

Staccato

Smash Cadet
I just won't buy the WiiU for Smash because it's literally the only WiiU game I'd be interested enough to buy, and also because I can have it for the 3DS, which is a console I already have.

I honestly would never buy a console just for one game, and it doesn't matter if the console is called Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft. I bought a 3DS and a PsVita because both of them had at least five games I wanted to play, otherwise I wouldn't have. And since Smash 4 is available for 3DS, I don't feel the need for another version.

(and it's not like I'm saying I pray for the WiiU version to be horrible or whatever. I honestly and genuinely hope it will be great! I just won't play it since I have no intention to buy a WiiU, at least for the next couple of years)

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
It's not the same, its half of what a usual Smash game should be. Its like if Brawl was missing the SSE, Event Mode, Target tests, half new and half retro stages, and had half the soundtrack. And its safe to assume that the Wii U version will also be missing an amount of features.
If Brawl was sold to you in two different packages, would you have settled for just one?

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
I just won't buy the WiiU for Smash because it's literally the only WiiU game I'd be interested enough to buy, and also because I can have it for the 3DS, which is a console I already have.

I honestly would never buy a console just for one game, and it doesn't matter if the console is called Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft. I bought a 3DS and a PsVita because both of them had at least five games I wanted to play, otherwise I wouldn't have. And since Smash 4 is available for 3DS, I don't feel the need for another version.

(and it's not like I'm saying I pray for the WiiU version to be horrible or whatever. I honestly and genuinely hope it will be great! I just won't play it since I have no intention to buy a WiiU, at least for the next couple of years)
I'm not talking about you in particular, according to statistics most players buy consoles to play very few games on it. And you just said yourself that you may buy the Wii U if it gets more games you're interested with. To be honest I probably wouldn't have bought a console for one game either, but in the end, I could have enjoyed a better game full of content even 2 or 3 years later.
I'll love the game regardless, but I can't help but feel the Wii U version was gimped because of the 3DS.

Staccato

Smash Cadet
I'm not talking about you in particular, according to statistics most players buy consoles to play very few games on it. And you just said yourself that you may buy the Wii U if it gets more games you're interested with. To be honest I probably wouldn't have bought a console for one game either, but in the end, I could have enjoyed a better game full of content even 2 or 3 years later.
I'll love the game regardless, but I can't help but feel the Wii U version was gimped because of the 3DS.
Yeah. As I said, I do not exclude the possibility of buying a WiiU in the future. As I said before, there are two upcoming WiiU games I'd love to play, the other being Xenoblade 2; before there's enough interesting games for me to buy a new generation home console, though, years will probably pass.

Will SSB4 for WiiU boost the sells of said console? I dunno. Probably it will. I mean, as you said there are many people who buy a console just because of that one game.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Impressive number, but at the same time it's not that surprising. I wonder if it'll manage to beat Yokai Watch 2's success though.

Top Bottom