• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Final Video Presentation: Dec. 15

The time has come: "Catch the final video presentation dedicated to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U on Dec. 15 at 2 p.m. PT. Masahiro Sakurai will provide details on Cloud and more in this worldwide broadcast." This will be the final Smash presentation we receive according to this official Nintendo announcement.

Outside of Cloud, what will be covered in the direct? Will we learn about the Smash Ballot at last? New stages? Costumes? Does this mean that we will soon enter the era of the final patch? Start the speculation in the comments below and stay tuned for any breaking updates on the presentation!

Comments

After all, we got five days, so let's just not shatter peoples' hopes. The 3DS is a pretty capable system, after all, when you have more development time. Also, the New 3DS could very well be the system that houses the Ice Climbers if they do return.
But then how would somone with a regular 3DS play online against somone with a New 3DS who was playing as the Ice Climbers?
:drshrug:

What we need are 5 more characters. Hopefully they're Ice Climbers, Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and whoever won the ballot(my hopes go out to Bayonetta or Rayman). Either more sheild stun or the ability to have melee sheilds back because they're such a strong option in the game. Stages: Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams, Dr. Mario stage, and the ability to turn off stage bosses like the Yellow Devil. And a ton of buffs, not to much of a fan for nerfs since they slow the game down.

But then how would somone with a regular 3DS play online against somone with a New 3DS who was playing as the Ice Climbers?
:drshrug:
Simple answer: they don't. Whenever they encounter them, the person that has Ice Climbers selected undergoes a verification process in the server.

If the other player does not have them, and the player with them selects the duo, it tells them to select someone else. If the Ice Climbers are still selected before the match begins, the game switches it to random instead; even warning the player of this in the same message.

It would only be a problem for the player with the Ice Climbers, really, but it could work.

Simple answer: they don't. Whenever they encounter them, the person that has Ice Climbers selected undergoes a verification process in the server.

If the other player does not have them, and the player with them selects the duo, it tells them to select someone else. If the Ice Climbers are still selected before the match begins, the game switches it to random instead; even warning the player of this in the same message.

It would only be a problem for the player with the Ice Climbers, really, but it could work.
Something tells me that having a character that can't be played multiplayer with the vast majority of 3DS players isn't exactly a good selling point.

There is no way that I am gonna put my character speculations up. I may be pretty excited, but I am putting my expectations on low so that I can get further excited. On the further note, am I the only one who is more excited about the stages, mii costumes, and even trophies. Remember, Inkling got one when the Inkling costumes were obtained. One more thing, is it wrong to say that if it is possible that I want to see a new mode. Anything. But if the new mode doesn't show, that's okay. I am good on content. I just so can't wait for the Smash Video Presentation. ^_^

Something tells me that having a character that can't be played multiplayer with the vast majority of 3DS players isn't exactly a good selling point.
Something tells me that refraining from making the character at all isn't either.

Last edited:
The 3DS's system limitations are one of the more obvious reasons for why the Ice Climbers were removed. And of course, they haven't been all that major either with only one game. Duck Hunt references all the NES games that utilized the NES Zapper.

D
Sakurai said he fixed a flaw in the game recently on a Twitter post, saying it had been something of a "big struggle" for a long time, so I can take a huge guess at what that might be.
Have fun with that guess

I hope you realize that, with that logic, you are telling people NOT to buy the New 3DS.

And, oh, that poor 3DS version is lacking in sales. Guess all nearly eight million people that bought it will sell it and call Sakurai an idiot after he adds in one exclusive character that everyone admitted to not liking anyway and only missed them after their exclusion.

But, for real, their moveset is so basic that their demand only comes from their duo mechanic, and nobody can even utilize that for the most part; especially with the gameplay of Sm4sh not allowing chain grabs anymore.

They would be just as abandoned as the Wii Fit Trainer, except for the first phase where everyone is like "ZOMG ICE CLIMBERS ARE BACK" and then they move on. But, then again, they COULD get a buff in their moveset, so who knows.

Have fun with that guess
Well, I already know the answer, given there has only been ONE flaw with the game that was ever major.

What we need are 5 more characters. Hopefully they're Ice Climbers, Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and whoever won the ballot(my hopes go out to Bayonetta or Rayman). Either more sheild stun or the ability to have melee sheilds back because they're such a strong option in the game. Stages: Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams, Dr. Mario stage, and the ability to turn off stage bosses like the Yellow Devil. And a ton of buffs, not to much of a fan for nerfs since they slow the game down.
ummm,,,,,, you know final destination mode can be turned on on dr. willys castle right?

ummm,,,,,, you know final destination mode can be turned on on dr. willys castle right?
Yes, but that also removes the platforms. With hazards like the YD having an "off" option, there'd be quite a few more legal stages. (Depending on how they define "hazard;" transformations, tilting, etc would all open up new tournament stages, and improve existing ones.)

Or just make them exclusive to the Wii U version, simple as that. It enrages me to no end that I can't have a character that works perfectly in my version only because a far inferior version that I don't even own can't handle it. It's just so unfair.

I forgot to add that I desperately want a local Tourney mode. I used that a lot back in Melee and Brawl because I usually have lots of people play in my house. It's ridiculous that they added it online but not offline.

Last edited:
I hope you realize that, with that logic, you are telling people NOT to buy the New 3DS.
Uh, no that's not what that logic means at all. I'm saying that a character that couldn't be played multiplayer wouldn't sell.
Something tells me that refraining from making the character at all isn't either.
Or just make them exclusive to the Wii U version, simple as that. It enrages me to no end that I can't have a character that works perfectly in my version only because a far inferior version that I don't even own can't handle it. It's just so unfair.
Sakurai said that he had the Ice Climbers "working" on the Wii U, not "finished". There is a very large distinction between the two. In, fact "working" could simply mean they had their untextured models running around and Nana's A.I. was working. If they were to add the Ice Climbers as DLC it would take just as much time and money as any other character would.

With that in mind, why should Nintendo add a character that Isn't that popular outside of dedicated smash fans (I even saw a few people saying "good riddance") and would only be playable, and therefor purchasable, on only one system (which has less people who bought it as well)? It simply doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Ice Climbers back, and if Sakurai finds a way to keep their character intact on the 3DS version I'll be overjoyed. But adding them into the game isn't as effortless as people make it out to be.

Sakurai said that he had the Ice Climbers "working" on the Wii U, not "finished". There is a very large distinction between the two. In, fact "working" could simply mean they had their untextured models running around and Nana's A.I. was working. If they were to add the Ice Climbers as DLC it would take just as much time and money as any other character would.
There's nothing to indicate that what you're saying here is the case. If the ICs were working on the Wii U version, nothing is stopping them from polishing what they've already made. They did it with Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo after all (except they were ported from past games instead of Smash 4 itself).
With that in mind, why should Nintendo add a character that Isn't that popular outside of dedicated smash fans (I even saw a few people saying "good riddance") and would only be playable, and therefor purchasable, on only one system (which has less people who bought it as well)? It simply doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Ice Climbers back, and if Sakurai finds a way to keep their character intact on the 3DS version I'll be overjoyed. But adding them into the game isn't as effortless as people make it out to be.
To make money. Lucas isn't exactly well-known outside of Smash -- he's only had one game that was only released in Japan, and a long time ago at that. But they still brought him back, and people were still excited and bought him. I see no reason why the same doesn't apply to the Ice Climbers. (I'd even argue that they're more appealing to casual fans than Lucas thanks to their unique, "cool" duo mechanic.)

Last edited:
If the ICs were working on the Wii U version, nothing is stopping them from polishing what's already there. They did it with Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo after all.
Again, "working" is the key word here. All working literally means is "these characters could have been finished". It does not mean they have any significant progress on those characters. Considering that testing for the game was occurring on the 3DS and Wii U versions at the same time, it's highly, highly unlikely that they got anywhere beyond the very basics with the Ice Climbers before running into issues with the 3DS version and scrapping them. I do agree that if the Ice Climbers were almost done they should finish them up and release them only for the Wii U version, but they would likely have to put in just as much work to finish and polish them as any other character, while only making at most a fourth of what other characters would.

Last edited:
Again, "working" is the key word here. All working literally means is "these characters could have been finished". It does not mean they have any significant progress on those characters. Considering that testing for the game was occurring on the 3DS and Wii U versions at the same time, it's highly, highly unlikely that they got anywhere beyond the very basics with the Ice Climbers before running into issues with the 3DS version and scrapping them. I do agree that if the Ice Climbers were almost done they should finish them up and release them only for the Wii U version, but they would likely have to put in just as much work to finish and polish them as any other character, while only making at most a fourth of what other characters would.
No, "working" means that they were operational. They existed in the Wii U version of the game in some playable, working form, with their duo mechanic presumably intact (as Sakurai did not mention any changes). If they existed in the game in some playable form and were working just fine, then it'd take considerably less work to simply polish them up, bugfix, balance, etc. for the Wii U version, than to recreate veteran fighters from the ground up like they did with Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo.

Also, here's Sakurai's exact words:
Sakurai said:
Even if I cram in as many fighters as I can, there are some people who are focused on the few who didn’t make it back. Among them are the Ice Climbers, who were playable during development on the Wii U. However, moving the two as a pair required significant processing power. The 3DS was already being pushed to its limit, and I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried, so I gave up on them. The other fighters had to be whittled and pared down until I could get them to work, so it was simply unavoidable.

I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried: I removed as many joints as I possibly could, and even when I removed certain effects, like gravity, they still wouldn’t work. Olimar and his Pikmin were also extremely difficult, but I managed to at least get them to work.​

Also, characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority. Furthermore, transferring them from Melee would be difficult because the original data is old.
Source (Gaming)

"playable during development on the Wii U." They were playable in their original, duo form. They were fully operational, decently developed, able to be used presumably without any major hiccups. If they were playable during development, that's a good bit of work done already. It'd take significantly less work to polish an existing veteran character, than to remake one from scratch (which they've done before for DLC).

No, "working" means that they were operational. They existed in the Wii U version of the game in some playable, working form, with their duo mechanic presumably intact (as Sakurai did not mention any changes). If they existed in the game in some playable form and were working just fine, then it'd take considerably less work to simply polish them up, bugfix, balance, etc. for the Wii U version, than to recreate veteran fighters from the ground up like they did with Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo.

Also, here's Sakurai's exact words:

Source (Gaming)

"playable during development on the Wii U." They were playable in their original, duo form. They were fully operational, decently developed, able to be used presumably without any major hiccups. If they were playable during development, that's a good bit of work done already. It'd take significantly less work to polish an existing veteran character, than to remake one from scratch (which they've done before for DLC).
Yeah I got the wording messed up, must have been thinking of something else. Being playable is definitely a step up from being working, but I still don't think that says much about how far along they were. Yes they probably had their model created and their basic animations and properties in place, but to what extent? Did they only have basic texture work on them? Or where they fully textured? What about sound effects, were those all in place? What complications might come up with 8-player smash? So you are correct that the Ice Climbers would take less work then another fighter, but to what extent is still debatable. Especially bug fixing and balancing can be among the hardest parts for a character, especially one as different as the Ice Climbers. Even with them being part done I still don't know if they'd be worth the time to finish them only being on the Wii U, and that's sad.

Smash Community just before the game came out:
God we need a leak. Why hasn't anything leaked? Any day now the dam will burst. Any day now. I can't wait any longer guys.

Smash Community just before the Final Smash Direct:
God I hope there isn't a leak. If this gets leaked I'll be insanely disappointed. Please no leaks.

Last edited:
D
I REALLY hope we get a 3DS Stage Builder
(http://smashboards.com/threads/thoughts-on-a-stage-builder-for-3ds.407185/)
Or a Wii U Stage Builder update. I know a lot of people don't care, but when the game stops receiving new content, customization will become much more valuable. Like, if we got an update that let us change blast-zones, a 3DS Stage Builder with the stuff from my thread, 8-PLAYER SMASH COMPATIBILITY, and... I don't know, Omega Kalos-type walls where you can't walljump off of them, I'd be set. I'd rather have that than new characters.

D

And, oh, that poor 3DS version is lacking in sales. Guess all nearly eight million people that bought it will sell it and call Sakurai an idiot after he adds in one exclusive character that everyone admitted to not liking anyway and only missed them after their exclusion.
You're getting quite off-track

Predictions:
-Sephiroth,YoKai and Linkle Trophies
-Wolf as a bonus character, a la Lucas with M2 reveal
-Stages based on Splatoon and YoKai Watch
-Ballot Winner revealed as last character
-Returning Stage from Melee and/or Brawl.

Uh, no that's not what that logic means at all. I'm saying that a character that couldn't be played multiplayer wouldn't sell.

Wait, I never said that they were going to be easy to implement, just that I'd be thankful if they took the time to finish them. Last night I dreamed just that: they were revealed, but were exclusive to the Wii U version, with Sakurai explaining that even with their best efforts, they couldn't make them work on the 3DS, and asked us to "please understand".

I think that they became a series staple, honestly. They represent the NES era very well and have some of the most unique fighting styles out there. That alone is enough of a reason for me for them to come back. Popularity does take part in being added to Smash, but it's not like characters like Duck Hunt or Dark Pit were immensely popular, right? And look at where they are.

Oh well, only time will tell. Less than a week to go! GET HYPE!

Bad Predictions:
- Cloud will be released Christmas 2017.
- K. Rool will be a stage boss.
- We'll get Ditto from Pokemon. It'll just copy one random character you're fighting at the beginning of the match and you won't be able to switch until the end.
- new stage will be based on a railcart level from DK. You'll only have 1 tiny cart to stand on, there will be tons of hazards as it moves, and K. Rool will fly by shooting cannon balls at you.

This puts a little bit of stress on me, mainly because this is our last shot to get the characters we want, if they don't get in, then that's it, but Sakurai hasn't disappointed yet, he's certainly not going to start now.

I don't care about new characters, stages or modes. I just want to be able to move the menu screen with the C stick again.

Then this game will have no updates left, and die just like PM, Melee, 64, and Brawl. And Brawl Minus alone will live on...

(If you can't tell this is sarcasm and/or obviously not serious, you are unambiguously too stupid to respond to this post.)
Brawl- is the only true Smash game.

Bad Predictions:
- Cloud will be released Christmas 2017.
- K. Rool will be a stage boss.
- We'll get Ditto from Pokemon. It'll just copy one random character you're fighting at the beginning of the match and you won't be able to switch until the end.
- new stage will be based on a railcart level from DK. You'll only have 1 tiny cart to stand on, there will be tons of hazards as it moves, and K. Rool will fly by shooting cannon balls at you.
Not gonna lie, I sorta like that last idea with the railcar lol.

As for my bad predictions
- Cloud is only released around the same time as FF7R releases (which is in 2017 or 2018).

- Brawl tripping returns to the game

- The only stage we get is a lazily made stage from Stage Builder that a 7 year old could do in minutes.

- The Smash Ballot is finally disclosed and it's revealed that the only character that was selected from the ballot was Dark Classic Pit who has absolutely no moveset differences from Pit/Dark Pit. All the other characters that people wanted either become Mii Costumes or Stage Hazards.

- Sakurai laughs at us for getting our hopes up and tells us this is all we deserve. The camera pans out and Sakurai tells us that DLC is done and he's going to take a vacation in the Caribbean while laughing at how salty we all are.

Last edited:
1 5 T H H Y P E B O Y S

Can't wait for this!! The final presentation...I bet this is going to be huge! :awesome: I'm expecting Cloud and 2 other characters revealed at least. Anybody else?

Any other predictions?
Right on! I think it's going to be Ballot Character, Cloud release date, and maybe a reocuring character! Plus new stages! Hopefully Cornaria for Wii U!

I really want Isaac from Golden Sun. I just hope he comes out. Then again people might compare him to Robin. Also Snake please.

Top Bottom