• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Competition / Ladder

db Starks

Smash Rookie
I was pointed to this forum by the Aussie Nintendo forums.

Essentially, let me introduce myself. I'm Starks from AustralianGamer.com, and my role on the site is the covering and promotion of competitive gaming within Australia. I've been playing competitively on consoles since Halo and Halo 2 on the Xbox, and have been helping to run and have run tournaments for about 2 or 3 years now.

Anyways, I'm not here to convert anyone. My aim is to get some information about the SSBM and SSBB community, as well as understand the rule and game settings required for competitive gaming in Smash.

Could anyone please give me a quick run down of the rules for both Melee and Brawl. The reason I'm asking is I've just been pulled on board a website called GotGames.com.au as head Xbox admin, although the owner of the site and I are extremely interested in incorporating the Nintendo Wii to the sites ladder system; Specifically for SSBB.

I was told that a CAOTIC on this site was the man to talk to in regards to tournament organising, and that he posts here quite regularly.

The ladder I'd like to start would be run with an online emphasis and a small amount of prize money to both 1st and 2nd ($500 and $250 respectively). My main goal would be to help build something for the community to work with and encourage competitive play, as well as reward those who continuously hone their skills.

My second aim is to hopefully get a LAN Tournament up and running. I'm on reasonably good terms with the OHN staff and remember OHN running a SSBM tournament a year or two back, but I've been told that it had mixed success / response. If a tournament was to again be run with some decent prize offerings, would the community be likely to back it?

Thanks for your time, and if you wish to contact me please do not hesitate to e-mail me on starks@australiangamer.com

Starks

P.S. Someone stole my name and I had to register a 'db' in front. If you're interested in what the 'db' stands for, it is the prefix for my old Halo clan called 'The Drop Bears'.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Yes CAOTIC is the guy you should speak to. He probably has the most knowledge about all the tournaments that happen in Australia. He lives in Melbourne. I'm not his lawyer.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I'm practically Sydney too if you count the number of times I'm there

Sup Starky, i'll send you an email if you want or if you use MSN that'll work out sweet.

I'll gonna handball you over to Kulla, apparently you guys were good friends at one point.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
STAAAAAAARKS your in my land now! For when I left the halo world, I embraced the Smash scene with much vigor!! We had a small Sydney scene for Melee, with tourneys and such. We even tried to set up a tourney at GameOn i think it was, you know the xbox lounge, but their tv's lag really badly with smash (and it will with brawl im sure).

As for brawl well, there is a fairly decent scene at the moment, with about four copies of brawl floating around here, myself included, and I know many people who would be interested.

OHN failed us last year for a smash tourney, we pretty much paid an obscene amount of money for something we just did ourselves...with no prize money at the end of it... really kinda ****...though brawl will be big so im sure they will probably go all out this year...

Anyway I've emailed you, add me to msn or email me back, I can fill you in on anything you need to know about Smash tourneys.

db Starks

Smash Rookie
Kulla! My goodness, a blast from the past there!

Good to see a face I know of.

Anyways, I've e-mailed CAOTIC, and I just got Kulla's e-mail. Essentially I'm very keen to set up an online ladder using GotGames.com.au, which has some of the best ladder software on the web.

However it's pretty darn difficult to get things rolling without a face to face meeting, so is it possible that we could get a meeting set up with Kulla, myself and CAOTIC if possible? There is a great deal of potential, and I'd like to ensure that we can go through it all.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Well Starks, msn is brilliant for a psuedo face to face meeting, if not...well im free most weekdays and nights and such...so email me when your free.

As for meeting Cao, well he lives in melbourne :p So thats prolly not going to happen, but ill introduce you to Jaz and Pat, and maybe some others.

Also...I think online is going to suck...from the matches ive had...smash online does not really work at all, but we shall see, I only have an average connection im sure some ADSL2 could make it sing, but then there is the issue of host advantage...which you know alot about :D

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Starks, where did you send the email to? I can't find it. I'm pretty keen to meet you in person if you're serious about making a contribution to Smash on a national level, so we'll arrange a meeting once we better acquaint ourselves and plan our time in advance. I'm happy to meet up in Sydney sometime down the track, but Kulla suggested perhaps you should consider going to Melbourne to see what competitive Smash can be like.

MSN - caotic_kelvin@hotmail.com

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Online should be interesting. Some of the Americans I've fought have commented that they've had less lag fighting me (in Perth no less) then they've had fighting people in their own state.

db Starks

Smash Rookie
Sorry I haven't replied to this lads, been a hectic week or so for work and I'm preparing for Gamerthon.

Well Starks, msn is brilliant for a psuedo face to face meeting, if not...well im free most weekdays and nights and such...so email me when your free.

As for meeting Cao, well he lives in melbourne :p So thats prolly not going to happen, but ill introduce you to Jaz and Pat, and maybe some others.

Also...I think online is going to suck...from the matches ive had...smash online does not really work at all, but we shall see, I only have an average connection im sure some ADSL2 could make it sing, but then there is the issue of host advantage...which you know alot about :D
I'm actually going to be in Melbourne, so I'm pretty keen to meet with him in person. I'm also keen to meet with you too Kulla. I'm back from Melborune on the 6th, so maybe on the 11th or so I can drop down to the 'Gong and we can meet?

Starks, where did you send the email to? I can't find it. I'm pretty keen to meet you in person if you're serious about making a contribution to Smash on a national level, so we'll arrange a meeting once we better acquaint ourselves and plan our time in advance. I'm happy to meet up in Sydney sometime down the track, but Kulla suggested perhaps you should consider going to Melbourne to see what competitive Smash can be like.

MSN - caotic_kelvin@hotmail.com
I'll e-mail again, but I'm rather meet you. I sent you my mobile, so please give me a call on the Sunday and we'll tee something up.

....i still think hes a spy :p
Boo!

I'd like to join in on those meetings
Sure. Where are you located? Are you also a tournament organiser?

Jaz

Smash Ace
oh thats just lame ellelaby

yeah I'm a tournament organiser sparks, thank god ellelaby is from melbourne, poor Caotic.
yeah i'm good friends with kulla, we'll try and co organise touraments and meets this year.
I'm located in the eastern suburbs of sydney
if you have msn, i'm pretty reachable there.
unplugged009@hotmail.com

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
is that a challenge? because its like soo so on
I have Brawl now. And I can beat anyone. But I don't have my LAN Adapter yet. Wait till I get it and I'll be pwning anyone in this desert of a country that has green grasses growing on the edges.

Bjay

Smash Lord
I have Brawl now. And I can beat anyone. But I don't have my LAN Adapter yet. Wait till I get it and I'll be pwning anyone in this desert of a country that has green grasses growing on the edges.
I thought you were gone for good :embarrass

Dedu

Smash Lord
Woo hoo.

I soooo gotta make a list of who not to beat unless they beat those I haven't beat yet.
LOL.

Top Bottom