• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Super Fighting Robot! - Mega Man Base Moveset Guide

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Little typo under the "Pros" section:
"Great Recovery Options that can be acted out of, nor use up his 2nd jump"

Last edited:

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Pretty awesome guide I should say, but may I ask. Why is Beat considered such a bad recovery? I know that it's slow, but it let's you move a lot to the left and right enough to actually get away of most opponents and then come back to the stage, specially with the fact that you can use your second jump after it. (Also, momentum glitch and stuff, you can actually stop Meteors like C. Falcon on 40%).
Most people that I know find harder to punish Beat than to punish Rush Coil/Tornado Hold because of how far away you can get in the middle of the action. Of course versus some characters like Sheik Beat loses a lot of it's magic, but I really don't find it to be that much of a terrible option on some (For me, most) MUs.
(In case you are wondering, I use 3333)

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Pretty awesome guide I should say, but may I ask. Why is Beat considered such a bad recovery? I know that it's slow, but it let's you move a lot to the left and right enough to actually get away of most opponents and then come back to the stage, specially with the fact that you can use your second jump after it. (Also, momentum glitch and stuff, you can actually stop Meteors like C. Falcon on 40%).
Most people that I know find harder to punish Beat than to punish Rush Coil/Tornado Hold because of how far away you can get in the middle of the action. Of course versus some characters like Sheik Beat loses a lot of it's magic, but I really don't find it to be that much of a terrible option on some (For me, most) MUs.

I personally think that Beat's usefulness is match-up dependent; against characters who are great at gimping but lack ko potential, (i.e Sheik) it's a relatively safe choice since it pretty much forces your opponent to outright kill Mega Man, which only leads to more rage built up. Against characters who have a strong edge-guarding game but are also susceptible to being gimped (Falcon, Luigi), I find Tornado Hold to be pretty effective since it acts as coverage for your recovery, while giving your opponent a massive projectile to deal with.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That's one of the sections that needs to be updated. :p

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Tornado Hold is love, Tornado Hold is Life.... I've been warming up to
's weapon a bit more lately too, mainly for stage control and air shooter juggles

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
For some reason I can't stand using Tornado Hold, the mobility it gives you is so small that I can barely even use it properly.

Tho the gigantic projectile is useful in some situations, I just stick with Beat

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Beat has got no hitbox though and is slow-moving, you're left wide open to super strong blow aerials (usually a Bair) or spikes and meteors. Same with :4duckhunt: and :4rob:'s recoveries, even though you go a long a distance you are almost completely helpless while flying and almost any competent opponent will just gimp you anyway with a meteor smash or a single strong blow (you can shoot a danger wrap bubble to protect yourself to an extent, but DW gets out-prioritized by everything). Its kinda hard to recommend almost any recovery without a hitbox unless you can angle it like :rosalina: or :4palutena:'s to make it less predictable, since even if you don't die, you'll still take damage as you come back, which puts you closer to death percents.

Beat's saving grace is the momentum glitch and double jump thing, and would be pretty horrible without those imo. Tornado Hold is still a mediocre recovery, but in turn at least I get a hitbox, an amazing out of shield option, a combo tool, and edgeguarding weapon in exchange. TH has also freed me from opponents grabbing me sometimes if I do it just before I get grabbed, which is pretty nifty. I find Tornado Hold's utility better used offensively than a recovery with all the cool stuff you can do with it, gives MegaMan more combo ability and makes his already strong edgeguarding even stronger. Beat is okay but personally, if I'm gonna be gimped, I should at least have a good tradeoff for it.

This match shows why I love TH, I admit I played pretty badly in this game but at lest showcases some cool uses for the move if you wanna see it. Would use a better better video source if I had one, I kinda sucked in here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u4ZkI360Zc

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
Beat is harder to gimp than rush and TH. You can recover either high or low, while being able to move freely. It ascends faster than doge's recovery and it also travels more length, which means you can take a detour to avoid getting hit. Even if your position is very bad you can force a stagespike which is tech-able.

The main reason to pick Rush coil over Beat is that you can edgeguard offstage better because you can get to the ledge to recover your second jump faster, since Beat is slowish (although Beat lets you go very deep to gimp). TH is very poor as a recovery distance-wise so unless you can make a lot of use of it as an attack it's not worth it, and even then I'm not sure it's worth picking it. Imo TH is super avoidable in neutral game and even as a gimp tool it doesn't convince me. I don't think it brings enough to have a doctor mario tier recovery.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I apologize for not being more involved, I don't have a PC at this time. Feel free to pass it on: I don't use MM much anyway if I'm being honest(Not to say I don't love me some MM...).

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I think I found something very interesting... Freezing seems to bypass Super Armors. Maybe we should put that in Ice Slasher's description ?

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Seems to or does?

The way to test is to do a frame advance with Mac's smash attacks, since he gains super armor a frame after he releases a charged smash.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I remember freezing DK through his Cyclone Kong (or whatever is called his windy UpB) with Ice Slasher once. He was in the air so it might change something, but I know DK's UpB has Super armor on some of its frames. I can't test that now because I have Finals coming, and thus I cannot allow myself to play ( I wouldn't be able to stop in time XD ). Who could be kind enough to take it into the lab...
For now, my theory is that Freezing possibly behaves like Windboxes, but I will wait until the holidays to test it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Testing it with Yoshi, Ike, and Little Mac, Freezing doesn't bypass Super Armor.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
If you guys were to add an Ice Slasher set to the custom project, what would it be and what would you replace it with? Right now I find myself using 1213 a lot, and I see little reason to have 1122 except for Olimar.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
The only character I would personally consider using ice slasher on is Ike. Probably with shadow blade and default others.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Why am I posting here again. I wanted to tell you that you forgot to mention that Mega Man crouches during his Dsmash. Could anyone test it with a non-angled Falcon's Fsmash ?

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does anyone have a reasonable representation of U-Smash's first hitbox? The following hits are much smaller, but this phantom hit makes it looks bonkers.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Updated a little bit with mentions of meta game developments in the past couple months such as DACIT. Also updated Beat, Tornado Hold, and Mega Upper to bring them more in line with their actual uses.

Would love to start creating/uploading gifs of each attack once Youtube replay functionality comes out.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looking through older data charts that definitely seems to be something major that was overlooked. o_O

Will ask in the main patch thread to double check.

EDIT: Yep, we got a confirmation.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Updated a few of the pros/cons, Rush Coil and completely rewrote Hyper Bomb's summary.

Have been looking into DI changes to kill %s, but it's fairly difficult by oneself and most of the the changes are around ~5%. IDK

Anyone know of an updated 1.11 frame data spread that includes Customs?

May be a good idea to restart this project up again now that the meta-game has advanced in the past few months. Between this, the video thread, and Match Up thread, this board is a little behind to which I apologize on behalf of myself and Yink.

Top Bottom