• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Edgedash

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
I’ve figured out you can SWD onto the ledge as a recovery move without first touching the ground. Same basic principles are involved.
1. Press away, then jump ontowards stage
2. Drop a bomb.

This is where I noticed it changes a bit, which may seriously change the way we viewed the SWD as being accomplished.
First of all, in order to move a certain direction, such as recovering on the left side of FD and SWD to the right, the flicking direction of the control stick is reversed. So to move from the left to the right, you have to flick the stick from the right to the left.
Secondly, the exact time when you flick the control stick varies depending on how high you are when you drop the bomb, BUT, at any height the SWD is possible. If you are low to the ground, Samus will actually slightly roll forward or backward in ball form before shooting across the stage. If you are higher, she’ll move instantly after touching the ground. This means that the flick has to either be earlier or later than your muscles (if you’re a skilled ground SWD’er) are used to. Earlier if you’re high, later if you’re lower.

Situationally I only see this being useful when you’re recovering with an opponent who’s still on the opposite side of the stage, as normally edge guarding won’t allow you time to execute this move. More later.

(I’m at work)

I’ll ask Phanna, if he wouldn’t mind, to experiment with this when he gets a chance, and hopefully this isn't already somewhere else and I missed it in other threads.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Well for people who get used to the timing from dropping the bomb, it's the same for what you're describing, and yeah people have been generally aware of edge-hopping a bomb-swd onto the level, but it's only real practical application is nil because they'll always be close enough to punish such a laggy move. Assuming I understood what you were saying correctly.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
I guess it would only work for those RARE RARE times when two aerials hit and you're both sent to opposite sides of the stage but neither of you are killed. Perhaps superwavedashing from the edge can get you to the other side faster.

Nonetheless I feel bad for the crappy thread but at least I know.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Also, just to clarify, the timing is exactly the same, as is the directions you need to push. To go left, hit right one frame 41 and be holding left on frame 42, opposite for going right. Regardless of how you start the bomb animation, a SWD is an SWD and only possible if you're on the ground on frame 41, besides hitting the correct directions, nothing else matters. One thing that you should do if you are attempting to do this is to edgehop, but time the bomb so that it will just barely get you onto the stage, then rapidly hit left then right so that you do the early SWDs (Nigzel had some crazy name that I can't remember), and go for a SWD. Even if you don't do the SWD at the end, the early SWDs can get you pretty far if you do them quickly enough.

So yeah, very pointless, but implementable for those who want to only play flashy.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Actually aftermath your info is just a little wrong..You have to be on the ground on frame 40 to swd and be inputing a direction on 41...if you land on the ground on frame 41 and are holding a direction and hit the opposite on frame 42 you will not SWD because you were not on the ground on frame 40.

kinshou

Smash Rookie
how do u even know what frame you're on in the first place.. it all moves too fast fo teh human eye

in the end, its just reliance on practiced muscle memory and timing

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
I have actually been using this technique for a while, figuring I made it up. Ironically, I also called it the same thing XD

It has its occasional use, but most of the time if you try it while they're edgeguarding well, you'll get beat out.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Not only would it be a very rare situation to use this, but it is also very difficult to pull off.

Top Bottom