• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super confused on certain things

Fitzrightin

Smash Rookie
So i've been playing melee for years

Not competitively, more or less casually.

Up until last year

I'm still extremely confused on certain things

-Neutral game, how to win
-reading opponents
-etc

It's extremely frustrating going from casual to competitive and, as a puff main, i'm getting there slowly, but it's frustrating. I feel like I choke or don't know what i'm doing and I just need some pointers on certain things

Thanks

Sycorax

Smash Ace
So i've been playing melee for years

Not competitively, more or less casually.

Up until last year

I'm still extremely confused on certain things

-Neutral game, how to win
-reading opponents
-etc

It's extremely frustrating going from casual to competitive and, as a puff main, i'm getting there slowly, but it's frustrating. I feel like I choke or don't know what i'm doing and I just need some pointers on certain things

Thanks
In many ways, you're probably still a beginner. For this reason, I suggest not thinking about neutral game or reads yet. Focus on tech skill, execution, combos, and DI.

To not completely deflect your questions though: win neutral by making reads. Read your opponent by noticing habits.

There are lots of great resources on this in the Melee Library.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
There's a lot of neutral game to be played as a puff main. Good to always keep it in mind. Try to figure out hbox's decision making; know why he does certain things. You want to encourage situations where you can outspace your opponent and prevent situations where your opponent can easily outspace you. Then you can pick and choose from a list of effective options. Like if you've created a situation through a bait (or simply patience) where you could EASILY land a bair, you might be able to nair into rest instead. But if it the opportunity doesn't look THAT great, just bair.

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I think a big part of reads comes from playing the game a lot and recognizing player habits. A lot of players have unique habits but some habits are frequent in a lot of players like tech in place>spot dodge

LSSH | fish

Smash Rookie
IMO the best way to summarize getting over the initial learning curve of the game is to think critically about every state of gameplay. From when you spawn in you need to formulate a game plan to win neutral, once you succeed you need to figure out how to take the stock, whether from a hard combo or an edge-guard situation, both of which open up many new scenarios.

I feel that many players in this day in age will tell you that tech is the first thing you should learn as a new player, I personally believe that neutral forms the fundamental understanding of how a player will play the game, and then they can learn and utilize tech to improve their understanding.

In summary, you should look to improve by watching yourself, and seeing where you're struggling and where you're succeeding. Look at every aspect of the game in bite sized bits and learning should come easy.

Top Bottom