• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Awesome Wario Advanced Technique and Combo Thread! Defensive Tire Play!!!

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Started working on Defensive Tire Play again, I've been in the think tank for this past year!

xzx

Smash Lord
I just wanna say that on the Stutter Stepping thing, you must add a "*" since there is a tutorial available! ;)

Also, nothing new has been discovered?

One goal for Warios could/should be to practice everything on the list.

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
120% at snake, are you kidding me?

anyways, can someone of you explain me how the input for the buffered dtilt exactly has to be?

per pm is also ok

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Hey I should totally put Dthrow to buffered Dtilt in the OP! Sweet, thanks for all the input everyone! I'll make the changes tomorrow. Melee tonight.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
tl;dr--What about D-Throw to buffered Jab? If it works, we might be able to combo into some cool stuff.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Never mind, I was a fool. I didn't know Jab came out on Frame 8. That explains a loooooooooooot. :/

Lord Chair

Smash Master
From a frame perspective, that'd only mean it'd lose to shield and spotdodge, neither of which are really hard counters to jab (if counters at all).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
From a frame perspective, that'd only mean it'd lose to shield and spotdodge, neither of which are really hard counters to jab (if counters at all).
You know, that's a good point, especially since they're turned around by the D-Throw.

If they spotdodge, is it safe to assume that Jab2 could hit?
Only if you delay it like crazy. You may as well Jab cancel -> F-Smash, grab, or Waft.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
you should never go straight for jab2 in the first place, the frame advantage on jab allows you to think before you finish the entire move

that does not mean you should never use jab2, in certain situations it can create a very much preferable situation (nb: snake at mid percentages)

xzx

Smash Lord
Yesterday I found something interesting about the bike - I tested two things:

1) How to get off the bike in the first turn (on the ground)
and
2) In what direction(s) the tires pop out when the bike is broken

About 1): It seems that during the acceleration, if one tilts (smashes) the control stick backwards and hold it for a very short period of time, one gets of the bike immediately. I tested this a few times and in my older replays that I have saved on my SD-card, I did that a few times. I want to make a video about it, if it isn't widely known by you.

About 2): It seems that Wario's tilts make the tires often land near Wario (either by popping upwards or popping diagonally and land close to Wario). Also, when tossing the bike upwards, it almost always seems that at least one tire will land on the ground without bouncing, and in some cases it will roll fast forward on the ground. I want to investigate more about these "mechanics" of the tires popping out of the bike. It would be really interesting to see how they pop out by different attacks. But one conclusion is 100% sure: the tires pop out differently each time when the bike is broken. I want to make a video about that too.

Expect vids "soon".

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
can you put the buffered dtilt stuff on the first page that will be great!

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Hey xzx I was planning on making one too :) hey let's have a Tire Video Acquisition contest! Who can make the most helpful and useful video on getting tires! Sounds like fun, eh? :D

xzx

Smash Lord
Haha why not? But I will do that when I have time. Oh, and my quality isn't the best either, since I record directly from my computer.

But, challenge accepted!

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I figured out a really good way to test moves that break the bike. Crash the bike and smash Dthrow it, and only attack it with the first hit of Nair. If you hit with the second hit, it will break when it lands. If you don't hit it with Nair2, then it will have a teeeeeensy tiny bit of health left! Pretty much anything will break the bike!

xzx

Smash Lord
Yesterday I found something interesting about the bike - I tested two things:

1) How to get off the bike in the first turn (on the ground)
and
2) In what direction(s) the tires pop out when the bike is broken

About 1): It seems that during the acceleration, if one tilts (smashes) the control stick backwards and hold it for a very short period of time, one gets of the bike immediately. I tested this a few times and in my older replays that I have saved on my SD-card, I did that a few times. I want to make a video about it, if it isn't widely known by you.

About 2): It seems that Wario's tilts make the tires often land near Wario (either by popping upwards or popping diagonally and land close to Wario). Also, when tossing the bike upwards, it almost always seems that at least one tire will land on the ground without bouncing, and in some cases it will roll fast forward on the ground. I want to investigate more about these "mechanics" of the tires popping out of the bike. It would be really interesting to see how they pop out by different attacks. But one conclusion is 100% sure: the tires pop out differently each time when the bike is broken. I want to make a video about that too.

Expect vids "soon".
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LVIrOb_NWM&list=UU6rVVnMepIfAN--vkMaTLMA&index=2&feature=plcp

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5nLjcI7bnU&list=UU6rVVnMepIfAN--vkMaTLMA&index=1&feature=plcp

(Sorry for bad quality. The second video is a little long.) The first video could fit in the OP, right?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Ummm I think they need a bit of work haha. The problem may be that our two explanations conflict. You claim that the instant crash is done by smashing the control stick backwards, while I think that it is done by buffering a turnaround and canceling the acceleration. Which one of us is right? We need a third party to test, it seems.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
you should never go straight for jab2 in the first place, the frame advantage on jab allows you to think before you finish the entire move

that does not mean you should never use jab2, in certain situations it can create a very much preferable situation (nb: snake at mid percentages)
I really like jab2 on battlefield, at mid to low percents you can hit your opponent juuuust right onto the platform where they are vulnerable to follow ups. You can then follow up with a Fair, which may produce some awesome combos!! You can see this in "Man of the Minute" against Falcon at 1:14 and Lucario at 1:42.

xzx

Smash Lord
Ummm I think they need a bit of work haha. The problem may be that our two explanations conflict. You claim that the instant crash is done by smashing the control stick backwards, while I think that it is done by buffering a turnaround and canceling the acceleration. Which one of us is right? We need a third party to test, it seems.
I don't know. When I tested it on the Online Practice stage it seemed that when I smashed the joy stick bakwards while Wario accelerated I got of the bike. 0_o It seems also that Wario can get of the bike instantly, without this "acceleration thing". Well, I don't know. I'm not good at explaining things. All I know is that you can get of the bike really quick. =P

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I think you got it right man :) that's basically what I think, my explanation just went a little more in depth. We both agree that you mash the control stick back during acceleration, but I went a step further and claimed that it needed to be buffered BEFORE the acceleration! It's a small difference, but it seems like the window of opportunity is very small so we need to be exact!

Grrr I don't have the wii for a couple of days.... need to get it back so I can record my video. Looks like you have a 1up on me at this point xzx :p

xzx

Smash Lord
But you know that ROB easily can escape it at any % when he jumps + aerial? ;)

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Yeah, you can mix it up though to keep ROB on his toes. I was messing around with Dthrow to an instant Dash attack against ROB, it worked until t0mmy figured out he could jump out of it. From there, I could predict his jump and try to punish him out of it. If he didn't jump, I could hit him with the Dash attack, and if he did then I could try and predict it. This introduced a bit of a rock paper scissors mechanic into the matchup!

Honestly though I prefer just Fthrowing ROB to try and get him offstage. When ROB is offstage, his options are safe but ultimately can all be shielded, shieldgrab being a solid punish against his Fairs and Nairs.

xzx

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE3-XSG6TCw&list=UU6rVVnMepIfAN--vkMaTLMA&index=1&feature=plcp

Post it in the OP. How to do: The inputs are similar to Lucas Zap Jump (but I don't know about the frame window though). The bike is on the ground. All you have to do is standing near it and press the jump button + side B at about the same time. You have to press the jump button A LITTLE earlier than the B-button, but for our eyes, it is about at the same time. Wario can even do this when he haven't pulled out his bike yet, but I think the jump is a little lower. This AT is good against a high recovering Snake, for example.

What do you think? In the video is four versions of the Chopper Hop! Hope you all like it! =)

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Haha xzx that is legit! I was expecting the DJCH to go a lot higher from the way you described it, but a little extra height can always be useful! I'll modify the Chopper Hop section with this video!

xzx

Smash Lord
Haha oh yeah, sorry about my overreactions! =/ At first when I saw it, it seemed that it was a super high jump, but I overreacted. Now we can at least punish Snake's high recovery.

Is it just me, or does my video in the OP not work? Also, Pwneroni, while you're at it, you spelled my tag wrong! =P

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
After hard reading opponents on the ledge and getting hit by their aerials, I decided to see what's up with ledge invincibility.

The 21 frames of ledge grab invulnerability on a perfect ledge drop still apply with any other ledge option, so if your ledge jump lasts less than 18 frames (enough to buffer an airdodge), you can safely jump off the ledge and airdodge without fear of retaliation. That's why I kept getting Peach N-Air'd and Snake D-Air'd even though I had the move where they would be before they were there.

Fast-forward to how this pertains to Wario. A perfectly-timed ledge jump (as in, grabbing the ledge and just pressing a Jump command) at <100% damage gives us 6 invincibility frames afterward, so we can start a N-Air, F-Air, or airdodge before we are actually vulnerable. I can see this really improving our ability to get off the ledge safely and out ability to camp opponents through invincibility frames.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I wanted to make a new thread for it, because I think it's a big deal, but, there wouldn't really be anything to talk about outside of what I said. I hope this gets noticed and used.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Whoa damn! That is seriously a good thing to know! A great way I use to get back onto the stage is to ledge drop -> bike away from the stage, tilt backwards and then jump off. Wario gets a really great amount of height from this maneuver, moving out of the line of fire up to above the fray. You still have your double jump so you can gain more altitude or use it get around your opponent.

Isn't the smart fart a 4 frame activation? 4 or 5 I think, an invincible fart off the ledge would be such a surprise against someone trying to guard the edge! They would have to fly all the way across the stage to be KO'ed, so they would have to be really light in order to actually die (if they are at a higher percentage, they would probably want to keep their distance). Although if the smart fart is 99.9999999999999999999999999% charged, you could even possibly KO some heavies at a reasonable percent!

Top Bottom