• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Let's be real though, the GS Fanbase will hope to the end of time :grin:
I will say I do hope this grief is channeled into another push for fans to be heard, to show more and more desire for the franchise.

I dunno if Nintendo would take such a risk on something like Golden Sun at this point, though. I mean hell, look what it's competing against nowadays - a lot of impressive tactical RPGs, Fire Emblem is at its height, Bravely Default - and, frankly, more well known traditional RPG franchises, if we're being honest.

Either way. I wish there was some way we could get together as a community and establish some kind of, I dunno, press blitz and show of support beyond just Golden Sundays. Something real big. Get new people interested in the games themselves. All stream them at once, I dunno.

Otherwise, we don't have much reason to hope, as dour as that sounds.

MrPerson0

Smash Rookie
Ok, crackpot theory time: Camelot's logo was not on the trailer for Mario Golf. Camelot was prominently featured in the copyright information for Mario Tennis Aces, yet is right now absent from the information from Mario Golf. We know that the post-game content for MTA was done by Nintendo's internal staff, so perhaps they've done Golf internally as well? I think we have still have a hope.
It's there on the shop site: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/mario-golf-super-rush-switch/

Could be similar to how they worked on Aces, started it off before handing it off to Nintendo. In the trailer, there were a few tells where they used some things from Mario Golf: World Tour.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
At this point, I have to believe something like Camelot made most of it, handed it off to Nintendo and is now working on GS. I can't give up, I've put too much time into this.

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
At this point, I have to believe something like Camelot made most of it, handed it off to Nintendo and is now working on GS. I can't give up, I've put too much time into this.
That sounds like the sunk cost fallacy. I'm not going to tell you you should give up, but maybe take the time to consider if it's worth your continual emotional investment.

Last edited:

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Well that just hurts a lot... But i just can't imagine Camelot has been doign this for three years and Golden Sun being forgotten for ever... i just can't picture it. Hopes are a bit crushed but i still have faith someday we will see it

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Unfortunately it seems like Camelot is just going to stick with the Mario sports stuff and not worry about anything else. They know regardless of what it is it’ll sell a few million copies just because it has Mario on it.

I think that’s just what they’re going to stick to now and it’s pretty sad. And other than Xenoblade it seems like Square pretty much has the RPG scene on lockdown on the Switch. They probably figure there’s no reason to try with Golden Sun. They spent like 5 minutes on that Octopath Traveler-type game in the Direct.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Quite the twist with that Mario Golf blind side. I figured they would announce everything Mario back in the anniversary direct. I already had my plans to wait till E3 for the holiday announcements or some tease for 2022 or something. In the meantime there's been plenty of games announced this year that I'm super hyped for and I'll continue to keep fingers crossed for Golden Sun remake announcement.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Well, most of us didn't see that Golf blow coming and it sure hurt. However, one of the things I admire the most of this fandom is how resilient it is, I know we will keep moving forward, I don't know if they will ever hear us, but I know that we fans will never lose our love for the franchise and I also think we will celebrate a great anniversary, with or without Nintendo

Rekcy1

Smash Rookie
I thought the cabin in the legend of mana trailer looked kind of similar too the look out cabin in Dark dawn

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Welp, that was pretty much the worst caae scenario for us. Rex getting snubbed, combined with Spring Man also getting snubbed, bodes poorly for characters in major roles like Isaac. And Camelot's confirmed to have been working on this new Mario Golf, so there's no Golden Sun in the works for now. That sucks.

The silver lining is that Mario Golf actually looks pretty good, they're apparently bringing back the story mode and RPG elements from the old games. And I don't think I'll ever lose hope in Golden Sun's return. We just saw Famicom Detective get announced for a worldwide release! Anything can happen.

Sure, it'll be harder to hope without any evidence backing us, but it'll also probably be healthier. If these past few years have taught me something is that there's no match for the passion, talent, creativity and drive of Golden Sun fans. If we keep making our voices heard... Who knows?

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Given that this looks like Aces engine and assets etc, wouldn't be surprised if the basics were made around the same time, then Dev Unit 1 from Nintendo just finished it while Camelot supervised and focused on something else.
For the moment, I'm going to hold on to this, believing that Golf was pretty quickly done after Aces, and that they were just delaying its launch. And of course that GS is still being done behind the scene, even if not ready for 2021.

I think there’s a 0% chance Isaac is a playable character now. It was pretty minuscule to begin with.
I have to disagree.
Sakurai stated that FP2 was a way to give another chance to some characters. To me, it is exactly what it is for all of the fighters of this pass for now:
  • ARMS deserved a character since base game
  • XC2 was too recent for base game
  • Steve was in discussion for a long time (source: Mojang). IMO, he was supposed to be in FP1, but, due to complexity, got moved at a later date, before they announced FP1.
  • Sephiroth was probably in discussion for a long time too, but Hero got the SquareEnix spot in FP1, pushing Sephiroth to FP2. It was probably decided to be like that since the start.
The more we are leading toward the end of FP2, the more likely characters will be low-key, chill picks, but also characters that "missed their chance" previously.
In my opinion, we will see two more Nintendo characters for this pass, or really close to Nintendo, but specifically characters that have support from the fanbase. Isaac, Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee or another Zelda rep for example. The only third party I could see from now on are Phoenix Wright and Layton.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
For the moment, I'm going to hold on to this, believing that Golf was pretty quickly done after Aces, and that they were just delaying its launch. And of course that GS is still being done behind the scene, even if not ready for 2021.

I have to disagree.
Sakurai stated that FP2 was a way to give another chance to some characters. To me, it is exactly what it is for all of the fighters of this pass for now:
  • ARMS deserved a character since base game
  • XC2 was too recent for base game
  • Steve was in discussion for a long time (source: Mojang). IMO, he was supposed to be in FP1, but, due to complexity, got moved at a later date, before they announced FP1.
  • Sephiroth was probably in discussion for a long time too, but Hero got the SquareEnix spot in FP1, pushing Sephiroth to FP2. It was probably decided to be like that since the start.
The more we are leading toward the end of FP2, the more likely characters will be low-key, chill picks, but also characters that "missed their chance" previously.
In my opinion, we will see two more Nintendo characters for this pass, or really close to Nintendo, but specifically characters that have support from the fanbase. Isaac, Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee or another Zelda rep for example. The only third party I could see from now on are Phoenix Wright and Layton.
I think we’ll get a third party and a first party. Still believe Crash is highly likely and will be the E3 Smash reveal. I believe the last character will be a first party, but I believe Zelda or Pokémon will get it. Gen 8 or a BotW/BotW2 character for BotW2.

Honestly, if Isaac is going to get in I believe there either has to be a third pass or we get a couple of bonus DLC characters. And with no Golden Sun seemingly in sight I’m not sure why Nintendo would want Isaac.

I know people will try and disprove the irrelevancy argument with some characters, but usually those characters either have a game upcoming, are owned by another company, or is something Sakurai thought would be fun and out there to put in.

I hope I’m wrong. I joined this site to support Isaac in Smash and when that was ruined before the game released I was still hopeful for some sign the series would come back.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And with no Golden Sun seemingly in sight I’m not sure why Nintendo would want Isaac.
And I'm not sure how much control Nintendo has. The only way I could see Pyra minus Rex be a Nintendo choice is if they only said "Xenoblade Chronicles 2 character".

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
I like that people still have hope for good characters. But by judging this pass/last pass/this roster, the last two characters will more than likely be A) another boring sword user with a down B counter from a game that already has too much or B)a boring, forgettable, niche character from some failing/niche franchise. I don't doubt the next two characters are from this list:
Monster Hunter to shill for the next MH game, and this character will just use swords and have a down B counter
Ryu Hayabusa that'll have NOTHING from his nes games, instead he'll be a sword user with a down B counter based on his action games
MAYBE another FF7 shill rep
Probably another boring Pokemon
Another FE sword using rep with a downB counter
Or Ring Fit Girl

Smash is an absolute JOKE of a "celebration of gaming." 1/3 of this roster is from three franchises, Bomberman is an AT yet Xenoblade gets ANOTHER rep, FF7 gets ANOTHER shill rep that's a sworduser with a down B counter. ZERO is an AT, yet we get Min Min. Nothing from Battletoads, Final Fight, Ghosts N' Goblins, Chrono Trigger, No Rayman, No Geno, No Crash, No Spyro, there's what TWO western reps?(CHARACTERS OWNED BY WESTERN COMPANIES, not characters popular in the west as every character on this roster is western using that logic & one of those reps is minecraft Steve before anything iconic), nothing from River City _______, Goemon is a Mii costume while we got TWO FE characters for ultimate, ISAAC(the SECOND MOST WANTED CHARACTER) is an AT while we got JOKER(a character who was UNKNOWN before smash AND his franchise was niche/failing), TWO FF7 SHILL REPS yet NOTHING FROM ANY OTHER FF game, Ganondorf is still a clone, YL/TL are still clones, No Blue Pig Ganon from ALttp, NO PORKY, 1/3 of this roster is from three franchises.

It's clear this game's choices revolve around Japan/Sakurai, and we all know it's mainly Jprpg sword users with down B counters they/he wants.

Smash sucks. The roster sucks. The dlc sucks and it's never going to get better. This game is a JOKE of a "celebration" of gaming.

Sorry for double posting but I don't want people to expect things and be disappointed. Isaac will NEVER be a character(unless Sakurai retires and we get a director that actually listens to the fan base, and not just the fan base in Japan/his head) because he's western owned and from a franchise that Sakurai more than likely doesn't like. Hence why he was made into an AT and we got TWO FE characters in ultimate.

And one last thing; Sakurai told American's to "shut up" about their character requests yet he goes out to apologize to the Japanese for not adding in another boring, generic jrpg sword user from a game that has too much and got more.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
One thing that really sucks to think about is if Smash had just stayed first party we would probably have multiple GS characters playable.

But I get why they went third party and there’s no denying the series got as big as it did because of it. I still remember seeing Sonic join Smash and my brain exploded.

So while there is a part of me that wishes the series just stayed “Nintendo All-Stars” I’m glad to see Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc. in there.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Sorry for double posting but I don't want people to expect things and be disappointed. Isaac will NEVER be a character(unless Sakurai retires and we get a director that actually listens to the fan base, and not just the fan base in Japan/his head) because he's western owned and from a franchise that Sakurai more than likely doesn't like. Hence why he was made into an AT and we got TWO FE characters in ultimate.
Isaac is a japan based character, but I'm happy you could get the weight out of your chest.

Banjo got in despite not having any game for as long as GS, based on fan support alone. Isaac can do it too.
I said that anniversary was in August and a June announcement would make more sense. I stick by it

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I honestly think we could still see Felix... Maybe.

We'll probably see another Mario Tennis or 20 before they try Golden Sun again tho.

NNN

Smash Cadet
Allow me to disagree. I think the following and few last characters will still be Nintendo characters.

Anyway. Here we are. We can only hope two things: either Camelot didn't work on Golf, or they were able to do two things at the same time.
Ubisoft had the Altair and Rabbid mii costumes, not Rayman, which says something in my book.
It's been reported that there has been conversations between Tecmo and Nintendo, and Ryu Hayabusa is a retro classic from the NES.

So that's why I think these two are the last characters. Or maybe a Namco rep.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
One thing that really sucks to think about is if Smash had just stayed first party we would probably have multiple GS characters playable.

But I get why they went third party and there’s no denying the series got as big as it did because of it. I still remember seeing Sonic join Smash and my brain exploded.

So while there is a part of me that wishes the series just stayed “Nintendo All-Stars” I’m glad to see Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc. in there.
I'm honestly here as well.

Smash should never have opened the floodgates to third party. I get it, I love a lot of them as well, don't get me wrong, but Smash was never suppose to be a "celebration of gaming" as a whole. I hate what 3rd party characters have done to speculation and the game. I love them, it's great, but I wish - I don't know - that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo just all jointly worked on a gigantic game together that wasn't Smash to fit the "celebration of gaming" role, so Smash could just, I don't know, keep smashing with it's Nintendo characters.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Hello guys, after what just happened I wanted to address some things I posted on IsaacAdepts
There was a problem fetching the tweet
We are still celebrating the Golden Sun anniversary this August, that isn't changing and we need to put our all in making our voices heard. We just need to keep the momentum we've built up over the years and it might just be enough to make it become a reality. I'll be honest that I have little to no hope of Isaac in Smash Ultimate at this point but I do feel like the series has a bright future ahead

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I honestly think we could still see Felix... Maybe.
Min Min and Pythra kind of feel like Sakurai wanting specific characters for specific moves. Maybe. How do you get that from Felix?

All in all I kind of see Isaac fans in a similar place that all first-party fanbases were in around Fall 2019. The majority of FP1 was third-party, Joker was very un-Nintendo, and the reception to all these characters and the expansion of the crossover was great. So why would they add a rep from a franchise that already has some representation when they could do even crazier crossovers? But then there was light at the end of the tunnel, and its name was Byleth. Only it wasn't feeling that much like light due to it being Fire Emblem and from the newest installment. But then came the announcement of an ARMS rep, meaning you didn't have to be the newest of the new for a first-party to be DLC, and it could be a character already represented. So just be patient.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm mixed on third party characters.

I feel like having characters like Sonic and Megaman that have a history with Nintendo was great. But then when they started adding characters like Cloud I was like "Wait". Cloud's game was emblematic of Final Fantasy's move away from the Nintendo systems to Playstation, and Cloud had only appeared as a cameo character on Nintendo systems when he was revealed for SSB4's DLC.

TBH, while I understand that Cloud is a gaming icon, I really felt like it all went downhill from there. Now we're just getting all kinds of third party characters left and right while first party franchises have been left in the dust. I mean Joker and Terry are just way out there. (and I say that as a fan of Persona 5).

The roster of Super Smash Bros. just really feels like it has no focus anymore, and even the first party representations have gone out of hand (all of the f'ing FE characters is so absurd). One must wonder what would have happened if Nintendo had instead focused on repping their forgotten series (Golden Sun, Advance Wars, etc.) instead of putting in a bunch of random third parties and FE characters. Certainly it hasn't helped F-Zero any, I guess.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
I'll never stop hoping for another Golden Sun. I'll keep at least a spark of that for years to come.

But I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a small part of me that wonders if the franchise is better off in another's hands. Camelot's capability to do anything at this point seems to be in doubt if simple sports games are their limit.

Smash Lord
I'll never stop hoping for another Golden Sun. I'll keep at least a spark of that for years to come.

But I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a small part of me that wonders if the franchise is better off in another's hands. Camelot's capability to do anything at this point seems to be in doubt if simple sports games are their limit.
It would be cool if they co-developed it with another JRPG dev. Seeing the Golf trailer they are getting better at creating expansive worlds and making the most of HD development, it's a new era for Camelot and like I said in my thread I linked earlier, it's up to us to convince them to make Golden Sun a part of it

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Just finished the Direct (had to watch late due to work), and when the Golf trailer started I just started laughing. I expected to be depressed by such a thing, but somehow it was relieving to have the obvious thing happen and not have to worry about Golden Sun for a while, and by extension not worry about Isaac in FP2 either. A Golden Sun revival now moves from an immediate concern to a potential surprise not worth worrying about, which if nothing else is better for my mental health. I'd already been thinking about replaying the original games, and with no remakes on the horizon, I can jump into that plan guilt-free. Also still have that anniversary to look forward to, whether Nintendo acknowledges it or not. This isn't what I was hoping to have happen today, but it's a new normal I can work with.

Heck, I think I'm going to end up buying that new Mario Golf, disappointing as it may be. After all, I remember really liking the story modes in the GBA Mario Sports games, so if this new story mode has half the charm those did, it ought to be well worth playing.

proxian

Smash Rookie
Camelot 100% went out of their way to throw tribute to the GS fans since Mia is just Mary in the Japanese version. 4th character of the group, to boot! The little hints of Mt. Aleph in the distance, the architecture that's structurally reminiscent of Vale, Kolima, and the deserts in the games (albeit distantly)... I'm curious what Easter eggs the story mode might contain, too. It's like they're testing the waters.

The better Golf game does, the more funds they could reserve toward their pet projects, too. All the way around, this was a safe choice for Camelot.

Smash Lord
Camelot 100% went out of their way to throw tribute to the GS fans since Mia is just Mary in the Japanese version. 4th character of the group, to boot! The little hints of Mt. Aleph in the distance, the architecture that's structurally reminiscent of Vale, Kolima, and the deserts in the games (albeit distantly)... I'm curious what Easter eggs the story mode might contain, too. It's like they're testing the waters.

The better Golf game does, the more funds they could reserve toward their pet projects, too. All the way around, this was a safe choice for Camelot.
Yeah their HD projects have been getting progressively more ambitious, with the help of another dev a new Golden Sun project would really be a sight to behold with the experience they've gathered

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Yeah their HD projects have been getting progressively more ambitious, with the help of another dev a new Golden Sun project would really be a sight to behold with the experience they've gathered
Perhaps so.

I'm not trying to be too harsh on Camelot or anything. It's more that I can't help but wonder as to their capability at times.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It sucks, and I'm sure it stings, but it's always dangerous resting hopes on theories wherein signals can carry many possible interpretations.

I welcome whoever wants to join the ethos of perpetual hope for Golden Sun, but an expectation that it will only exist when I can see it for myself. The ride takes just as long but will be a lot less bumpy...

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma

I'm reluctant to read too much into any of it, but if Camelot has actually been working on Golden Sun behind the scenes, the story mode footage in particular is a good sign that they've been working on the tools they would need for that project. Wouldn't even be surprised if some of the buildings or that one conspicuous mountain are reused assets from GS development, much like how the GBA Mario Sports games were clearly reusing GS assets. I definitely have to believe that Golden Sun trademark meant something, and while I'm no longer expecting anything any time soon, there are definitely pieces to cling to for the hopeful.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I like that people still have hope for good characters. But by judging this pass/last pass/this roster, the last two characters will more than likely be A) another boring sword user with a down B counter from a game that already has too much or B)a boring, forgettable, niche character from some failing/niche franchise. I don't doubt the next two characters are from this list:
Monster Hunter to shill for the next MH game, and this character will just use swords and have a down B counter
Ryu Hayabusa that'll have NOTHING from his nes games, instead he'll be a sword user with a down B counter based on his action games
MAYBE another FF7 shill rep
Probably another boring Pokemon
Another FE sword using rep with a downB counter
Or Ring Fit Girl

Smash is an absolute JOKE of a "celebration of gaming." 1/3 of this roster is from three franchises, Bomberman is an AT yet Xenoblade gets ANOTHER rep, FF7 gets ANOTHER shill rep that's a sworduser with a down B counter. ZERO is an AT, yet we get Min Min. Nothing from Battletoads, Final Fight, Ghosts N' Goblins, Chrono Trigger, No Rayman, No Geno, No Crash, No Spyro, there's what ONE western rep?(CHARACTERS OWNED BY WESTERN COMPANIES, not characters popular in the west as every character on this roster is western using that logic), nothing from River City _______, Goemon is a Mii costume while we got TWO FE characters for ultimate, ISAAC(the SECOND MOST WANTED CHARACTER) is an AT while we got JOKER(a character who was UNKNOWN before smash AND his franchise was niche/failing), TWO FF7 SHILL REPS yet NOTHING FROM ANY OTHER FF game, Ganondorf is still a clone, YL/TL are still clones, No Blue Pig Ganon from ALttp, NO PORKY, 1/3 of this roster is from three franchises.

It's clear this game's choices revolve around Japan/Sakurai, and we all know it's mainly Jprpg sword users with down B counters they/he wants.

Smash sucks. The roster sucks. The dlc sucks and it's never going to get better. This game is a JOKE of a "celebration" of gaming.

Ignoring that they gave us arguably three of the most requested characters aka Big Three.

:ultkrool::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie:

Not to mention a character from the best-selling game of all time that many people did actually want as well :ultsteve:

Yep Sakurai and Nintendo certainly don't care for its fans.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ouch. I just hope we get NSO ports. All 3 games, at the very least.

Though to be fair, this doesn't mean it's not in development either, it just means it's unlikely(and I can't blame anyone for losing hope. I get it). My favorite series is long dead and only fans are keeping it alive at best. Golden Sun got ports, which is more than the Quest series had(and while having 5 unique games, though two are just updated versions of another one) as is.

Anyway, Rex being ignored for Pyra/Mythra doesn't help either, and may be more painful for speculation than just this alone. Albeit, it was a DLC special costume and not a base game, but... yeah. I'm of course in the end "not a death sentence, but doesn't seem likely" myself, since I don't adhere to fan rules as hard rules so much as decent options for speculation.

-Big hug to all-

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well so much for no Golf game lol.

I was never in the "OMG A GS GAME IS TOTALLY 100% HAPPENING!" camp like some others were as I have no trademark knowledge, so maybe recent developments don't shake me as much as others, but its still a bummer to witness as someone who doesn't have much interest in Mario Golf but obviously loves Golden Sun. I'd like to think a new Golden Sun game could theoretically still maybe be being developed as well, but I don't recall hearing anything about Camelot expanding or growing its staff, and I don't know if I really see Nintendo letting some other team touch the GS series, so needless to say us getting a new GS game anytime early is probably alot more unlikely now. That's not to say we might not get one sometime in the future though, even if more distant than we'd like. As I say, I don't think any franchise ever truly dies, and we HAVE seen Nintendo bring back long dormant franchises before (Kid Icarus and Punch Out being examples).

When it comes to Isaac getting into Smash, Eh, before today I always held the belief "We are probably getting atleast one more first party character in FP2, 2 more isn't impossible but I'm not confident in it, but all 3 being Nintendo ain't happening." Going by this, I guess Isaac wouldn't exactly be impossible. Of course seeing Pyra/Mythra make it in over Rex is another big concern as it could possibly show anything above spirit representation is doomed. I suppose it's always possible that Rex technically being a part of FP1 and thus being associated with its price tag put him in a more iffy position compared base game content and thus the likes of Isaac or Waluigi cannot be compared to Rex, but I don't I know how much truth there is to that or if what I said is the case. I guess to summarize my position, I don't know if I'd say Isaac's still impossible necessarily, but I'm certainly a hell of alot more doubtful now than I was before (and I wasn't exactly super confident in his chances to begin with).

So to summarize my thought,s, things are looking alot more grim for us and I've certainly grown more pessimistic, I can't deny we've taken a couple huge hits for both Smash and seeinga new game, but eh, I guess I won't say anything is "impossible." I've stayed with the Golden Sun/Isaac ship thus far over this insanely long speculation cycle for Ultimate, might as well stick with the ship now, even if it has sunken pretty deep into the ice cold water and the sharks are starting to circle...

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Ouch. I just hope we get NSO ports. All 3 games, at the very least.

Though to be fair, this doesn't mean it's not in development either, it just means it's unlikely(and I can't blame anyone for losing hope. I get it). My favorite series is long dead and only fans are keeping it alive at best. Golden Sun got ports, which is more than the Quest series had(and while having 5 unique games, though two are just updated versions of another one) as is.

Anyway, Rex being ignored for Pyra/Mythra doesn't help either, and may be more painful for speculation than just this alone. Albeit, it was a DLC special costume and not a base game, but... yeah. I'm of course in the end "not a death sentence, but doesn't seem likely" myself, since I don't adhere to fan rules as hard rules so much as decent options for speculation.

-Big hug to all-
Yeah as for Rex being ignored, I don't think it has anything to do with him being a Mii Costume since it seems like such a small thing to be the detriment of making a character playable when they went above and beyond to make Minecraft Steve work. I think it's moreso that Nintendo found making Pyra/Mythra playable would be more appealing to fans and bring in the big bucks compared to her being an accessory to Rex. Now I can't help but notice that both of the first party reps in the second pass are female lol.

Though on another note the first party representation for the first pass is going as expected with Arms and now Xenoblade receiving the representation that would have been expected in base had Ultimate added the normal amount of newcomers. I now hope that there's still one more first party that introduces a new franchise for Golden Sun to fill that role.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Well...

Other than Sakurai and the Takahashi brothers coming on screen to jointly tell us that Golden Sun sucks and we'll never see it again, that was about the most disappointing outcome possible. Rex snubbed, Mario Golf... Hopefully the first doesn't mean anything, but it's kind of hard to ignore the second. I got spoiled on pretty much all of the other major reveals just trying to access the direct after work, but I got to experience that terrible moment I saw Mario in a visor in real time. Yikes.

I don't really have much useful to say other than to keep fighting the fight. I wasn't as confident as some people that Golden Sun was on its way back (it's kind of hard to be optimistic after years of disappointment), but there were at least some legitimate reasons for hope. I can't give any encouragement that holding on to that hope is justified. Rather, all I can say is that we have to find the will to keep on supporting the cause even when hope seems gone. It's not easy, but this is truly a great fanbase with great people. I thought Ridley's chances were pretty much dead after Sakurai directly told us he was too big, but the big guy somehow made it in the game. You never know what will happen when you just keep making yourself heard.

I don't really have the time or motivation in life right now to frequent this website other than to commiserate with my fellow Golden Sun fans on the big occasions, but I'll try to do a better job of keeping up with what is going on. I don't do art and don't have much of a social media footprint, but I'll try to help out in any small way I can.

Hang in there, everyone! I hope you all find some other joy in life tonight.

Smash Lord
Shugo Takahashi made a tweet about the recent announcement. If we want GS to come back we need to make our voices heard. Respectfully let him know we want the series to come back and also look forward to celebrating the 20th anniversary in August

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, I feel kinda confused and curious by Nintendo's perspective on their dormant IPs. Back in the Wii U era I thought maybe they avoided bringing back older IPs because they weren't in a great spot financially speaking and in terms of marketing maybe they felt like they needed to push more classic/popular IPs (with a couple exceptions like Splatoon or XCX). Now with the Switch being a hit, I thought they'd want to breathe new life to those older ips now that their chance to shine is far greater and that even if they don't perform greatly they would have back up from the other things. But that hasn't been the case either

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Tbh, I feel kinda confused and curious by Nintendo's perspective on their dormant IPs. Back in the Wii U era I thought maybe they avoided bringing back older IPs because they weren't in a great spot financially speaking and in terms of marketing maybe they felt like they needed to push more classic/popular IPs (with a couple exceptions like Splatoon or XCX). Now with the Switch being a hit, I thought they'd want to breathe new life to those older ips now that their chance to shine is far greater and that even if they don't perform greatly they would have back up from the other things. But that hasn't been the case either
And yet we also just got Famicom Detective Club. Which, is awesome, don't get me wrong. It' actually one of the coolest things to come out of that direct. But I am definitely confused. lol

I'm happy about old IPs being revived, but also why that one and why now? Especially when a bunch of other ones have community support behind them? Though, now that I think more about it, the Famicom Detective Club games are likely cheaper, even being rebuilt from the ground up. So that might be the whole reason tbh.

Top Bottom