• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Summer of Smash Episode XII: Umebura SAT, Endgame & more

Pressio

Smash Rookie
so no one want to talk about pit? He gets almost every tournament top 8 in japan do we lack GOOD pit players in the US/EU..?? Oo

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Tasty Tofu croaked and got 65th, but Some did pretty good this time. He beat Umeki, and lost to Nairo and Nietono, not bad losses at all.

He starting to get back into 2015 shape. He's making progress.

:150:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Ken beat the two best players of What has been perceived as two of Sonic's worst matchups.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
And I thought JJROCKETS would win against Tweek. But nope. Tweek clutches it out with a down air air dodge read.

Also, Trela got upset twice by xane and Panda Bair.

Last edited:

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
Sooo... Endgame. ZeRo gets over his Ally demon. M2K beats ZeRo 3-2 in WFs, ZeRo brings it back in GFs with a JV3 to close out the tournament. Hype? No?

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Endgame is a good sign for Mew2King. He's had a rocky couple months or so of focusing on Melee and losing then dropping out in Smash 4, so we haven't really got to see much from him. Displaying top level Cloud and showing the ability to contend with the best of the best hasn't really been in him during the summer -- it's good to see someone who is probably top 15 or top 20 back in the business. Cloud does do really well against Mario and I'm glad to see that exhibited at top level in Mew2King's generally dominant win against Ally. Mario can get a lot when he gets in which is why the matchup isn't hugely in Cloud's favor, but otherwise there isn't much for him. Mario has no real option to deal with spaced back airs and forward airs in neutral, and struggles to land against Cloud's sword. Cloud can essentially stay safe and space out Mario while killing earlier and having comparable reward. Beating ZeRo again is good progress and not getting 3-0'd in either of the grands sets even with the strong download ZeRo had going is pretty significant. Pretty much, Diddy Cloud is super volatile. I'd say that Diddy will win neutral slightly more but Cloud probably gets more out of winning neutral, and Cloud kills significantly earlier. They both edgeguard each other though Diddy's edgeguards are a bit more clear cut, which can sometimes lead to silly scenarios and early deaths for both characters. Both are very scary at the ledge and can convert ledge positions into tons of damage or death depending on what traps they can connect. It feels pretty even in the sense that both possess the tools to destroy each other, with Cloud's x factor of Limit making up for Diddy's slight neutral advantage in making the matchup even. Overall - Clouds in 2nd and 5th place here at a stacked tournament with good wins is good progress for a character whose metagame development and results have been lagging in the US as of recent despite strong theory and results in other parts of the world.

ZeRo honestly should have beat Ally at Smash Con -- there were just unfortunate events, cheesy things Ally got, and the set went Ally's way. ZeRo played in the exact same dominant fashion without getting cheesed and won this set solidly. I'm not sure if I feel that the no banana style is the actual optimal matchup play, but it definitely does seem good for ZeRo who is the best Diddy without the banana and messes up Ally who is not used to a Diddy simply spacing him out with raw buttons/fundamentals. This makes me wonder whether this type of play, to some degree, could be more valuable in other matchups. Diddys will pull unsafe bananas and have bananas in hand that don't always accomplish much. I don't mean to play totally like ZeRo did against Ally with almost no bananas, but less focus and reliance on the banana might be good for the development of the character. Other thing: ZeRo and Zinoto are both really sloppy at Diddy dittos, ZeRo just using superior fundamentals and patience to kinda bs his way through the matchup. The Diddy ditto should not actually be that slow or confused -- see players like Nietono and Angel Cortes in the Diddy ditto if you want to see what I mean. Diddy dittos aren't the coolest thing in the world but I don't think they are actually as bad as that.

...interesting tournament in general. Trela getting 20495873094857340987th place losing to Random09 and OtherRandom2059, but Darkshad getting top 8 and achieving a last game/last hit scenario with Ally. Prob shoulda beat Ned too but he choked the last game and other games hard. Strong 5th place finish from Mr. E, once again getting so close to major upsets (game 3/game 5 last hit against Ally and Zinoto) with just Marth, continuing the trend of good results for Marth. Not much else to say.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
A lot of hard work has been put into the Mario match up over the last few months, and I said it back after Evo - ZeRo was ready to take out Ally at that stage as well. The primary reason you're not seeing banana plucks against Mario is due how much commitment it takes to do so (dash to shield with the looming grab is just too massive and likely), forgoing stage control by running or monkey flipping to a ledge or platform to safely pluck a banana is not worth it - when being backed to the ledge (especially at early percent) can be easily converted into a stock loss in the match up.
Furthermore, Diddy dominates in the horizontal battle by a fairly large magnitude - while just about everything else is firmly in Mario's favour. Mario has nair/dair/bair as easy landing mix ups that can grab bananas and has a reflector in cape as well - all of these still lose to fair/bair though.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Endgame Top 8:

1st Zero :4diddy:
2nd Mew2King :4cloud2:
3rd Ally :4mario:
4th Zinoto :4diddy:
5th Ned :4cloud2:
5th Mr. E :4marth:
7th DarkShad :4ryu:
7th Dan :4mario:

Ned outplacing Tweek and DarkShad outplacing Trela should not go unnoticed, among the many other notable things that happened such as M2K beating Ally. Other than that Midwest was pretty much Diddymariocloudland this weekend.

:059:

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Can we talk about Mr. E vs Zinoto? Good god. Even though Zinoto brought it back 3-2, Mr. E's edgeguards and reads were amazing. Marth is definitely up there.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Xane MK, Tweek Cloud, JJRockets Diddy, Demitus Mewtwo, Ksev Fox, Nero Pikachu, yeti Toon Link, Bushi Bayonetta

Top Bottom