• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suggestion: Training Pillars

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Its me again, with another suggestion to make make something useful, without removing anything that would hurt casual gameplay.

The basis of my idea is to take the two bottom pillar sections of the MGS stage (the name of which eludes me), and change them to help people practicing. I was thinking: both of them become invincible. One of them emulates hitlag equal to that of hitting a character (basically as it is now), the other emulating the hitlag that results when striking a shield.

Now, I have seen videos of people saying a way to practice l-cancelling is to just keep jumping (or to set handicap on bowser to 9, and yours to 1, and force Bowser to CC, but due to the fact handicap was removed, and neither metal nor increased gravity do anything to help, this is no longer possible.), but this does nothing to aid the difference in timing when actually striking something (eg. why Ganon`s dair feels so weird even after practicing.), nor does it account for the even further increased lag from hitting a shield. I personally have one hell of a time l-cancelling Ness` DJC dair consistently, as the timing for that specific aerial is off normally, and made worse when actually hitting something. So in making the changes to the pillars, it opens an area for training something that becomes muscle memory in the long run, with or without something like this, and is helps to remove another one of those pure skill barriers that separates newer players from older.

I put this forward as one learning and teaching others, it is a pain when my rhythm during the battle is completely thrown off due to missing a l-cancel when hitting a shield, just cause of how different it feels when you haven`t been able to do it 1000 times. Of course I did keep the casual side in consideration when I wrote this post, and I don`t feel that making these two parts of the pillars invincible would take much, or anything away from the game itself, It is on a seldom played stage, and side KOs are still possible by breaking the upper section.

Of course the first thing I am curious about is if this is even possible, eg. making the top section differ from the bottom, and if the hitstun amounts can be changed. If it is possible, I feel as though it would be another small thing to aid players trying to get into the game, but who also don't have many times where they can actually play against others.

Thoughts? I enjoy trying to make small things that aid people in that awkward "I can skill, but I cant fight" stage of learning, to make more things they can learn without players, before getting stomped by others due to lack of applied practice.

yahyakun

Smash Cadet
awesome idea, ive always wanted to train shffl in smthg like that.
also i think it will be good to add a "shield-like pillar". cuz u know that shield lag and normal hit lag isnt the same.

btw u got nice ideas, hope they add them in next pm release and that u keep thinking in more ideas. keep it up.
cheers

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Thanks lol, you don't know how nice it is to hear stuff like that :). I mostly think of these ideas as I'm in the position of the people this aims to help the most. I can l-cancel all day, but as I posted, Ness' dair has really weird timing in a DJC, so I still miss it every so often, and that both messes up my comb/pressure, and it throws me off my rhythm, which is probably worse. imo the less this happens to new people only because of lack of practice, the better.

Just wish on of the BR would give opinions or confirm possibility of either of my suggestions, that would make my day :)

Top Bottom