• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suggestion: Stage Attribute Icons...

MaxThunder

PM Support
got this idea from playing tekken tag 2... next to the pictures of the stages on the SSS there they have these small icons showing what stages has walls and what stages you can do wall/floor/balcony breaks on and stuff...

got me thinking... we could have that kinda small icons in PM on the stage pictures...
could show if the stage is small or large or mid-sized, size of blast zones or if it has movable parts and stuff...

what do you think, guys?..

TheDevicer

Smash Cadet
Not really a good idea. The thing is, this info would only benefit new players. The icons might also not be clear to new players as well, making the whole point rather meh... And it would just clutter the simple and clean SSS.

MaxThunder

PM Support
imo it would be nice to have like a reminder of attributes on there... should be possible to make some nice and easily understandable icons... if oyu make them so they really fit into the SSS, then i don't think it would look cluttered... specially not with the 2.5 SSS...

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I figured knowing what stages have what attributes would come naturally from playing on them... I agree with TheDevicer wholeheartedly.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Sorry Max, but I'm also against. Unnecessary info that doesn't really do much other than clutter up the SSS. Each stage has so many more unique stuff than just 'walls' or 'large blastzones'. It wouldn't do certain stages justice to restrict icons to just that. We'd need a different one for almost every stage.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Hold up a second. First of all, the icons Max is talking about wouldn't necessarily have to clutter the SSS because they could be attached to the Stage Preview picture, rather than the SSS icons; in that manner, there's plenty of room for small icons.

Second, just because it would help, primarily, newer players or players with less stage knowledge memorized outright, that doesn't mean it's not a good idea for a couple of reasons. P:M does have the freedom to change / remove / outright create from scratch stages, so vBrawl stage knowledge doesn't necessarily carry over 1:1; in this way, small stage attribute icons (especially if there's a way to display a legend on the SSS) don't just help new players, but all players new to P:M. In addition, having icons that summarize stage attributes could help newer players feel more comfortable, drawing them in easier (and I'm sure the P:M team is, to some extent, worried about drawing new players, both vBrawl veterans and players new to Brawl, period, to their mod).

Icons wouldn't necessarily have to describe the entire stage in infinite detail, just summarize important points about it: is it a floating stage (you can go under), or a stage with bottom walls? Are there platforms, and do they move or not? Are there breakable surfaces? Is there a walk-off? Etc.

I think, if the art department could make it look classy and professional, that it would be a nice addition to the SSS.

TheDevicer

Smash Cadet
Again, these icons would only benefit newer players. Anyone with a month's worth of exp would recognize stages. If you're that big of a newbie, chances are there's no way for you to implement strategic stage selection, let alone be aware of the common stage select systems. This would be fantastic if everyone came into smash with the mindset of competitive play. Realistically, this would just likely alienate the casual crowd, being just another "mlg pro change". And there's no clear way to represent boundary lines, shifting platforms, hazards, etc. in simple and intuitive pictures. Above all, the change is far from needed.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
If anything, stages should be grouped on the SSS in a manner somewhat correlative to the groups of JC's ruleset, and tbh, they're already kinda grouped like that on Page 1. We don't need icons pointing out other small things that are easily learned through experience.

TheDevicer

Smash Cadet
I dunno. The new SSS is absolutely brilliant. I freaking love having ALL the good stages accessible without seeing ANY clutter. Just love the SSS as is. Mad props to the design team and IE!

Top Bottom