• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suggestion: Make the P:M Launcher Initialize the Wii U GameCube Adapter

S0 B00sted

Smash Cadet
Premium
I'm not sure if this is possible as I'm not a developer but it would make it easier to play P:M on a Wii U without having to load multiple programs. It'd also mean that Smash 4 setups could be used as P:M setups and Brawl setups at tournaments.

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
Well Nintendont (Homebrew for Wii that lets you play GC games on Wii U and Wii) already has support for the adapter, so it should technically be possible to get it working, but I don't think it's exactly that simple

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Does Nintendon't require a special cIOS to access the Gamecube adapter? If not, I can see the PM launcher supporting it easily.

S0 B00sted

Smash Cadet
Premium
Like I said, I'm no programmer so I don't really know for sure how this works. It seems as simple as sending the signal to the adapter to the initialize it, which we know how to do, and then to route the USB port to be used as the GameCube controllers, which we also know how to do a la Nintendont. However I know sometimes things aren't as simple as they seem to us mere mortals who don't know how to program.

It'd just be nice to be able to play Project M on an unmodded Wii U easily. Currently you have to run Brawl through Nintendont to use the GameCube controller so you have to go through multiple homebrew programs to get it to load.

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
If this were accomplished, it would be a lot more convenient to run Samsh4/PM tournaments using the same consoles/flatscreens.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Like I said, I'm no programmer so I don't really know for sure how this works. It seems as simple as sending the signal to the adapter to the initialize it, which we know how to do, and then to route the USB port to be used as the GameCube controllers, which we also know how to do a la Nintendont. However I know sometimes things aren't as simple as they seem to us mere mortals who don't know how to program.

It'd just be nice to be able to play Project M on an unmodded Wii U easily. Currently you have to run Brawl through Nintendont to use the GameCube controller so you have to go through multiple homebrew programs to get it to load.
Are you actually able to run Brawl through Nintendont? I haven't heard of being able to load Wii games through that yet, but regardless if you can that would helpful for using alternative control schemes.

Either way I think the ability to support USB adapters for Wii U users would be nice.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Are you actually able to run Brawl through Nintendont? I haven't heard of being able to load Wii games through that yet, but regardless if you can that would helpful for using alternative control schemes.

Either way I think the ability to support USB adapters for Wii U users would be nice.
No, Gamecube only. So far, Nintendont is the only homebrew to support the Gamecube adapter.

Lopson

Smash Cadet
An ideal solution to this problem would be to get the vWii to detect the adapter as an internal Gamecube controller port, much like an original Wii has them built-in. I don't think this can be done, but at the very least it should be possible to do this on a game-by-game basis. As such, it's likely that getting the adapter to be detected by P:M specifically is doable.

Zakaru

Smash Rookie
How are you accomplishing this? I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to launch Brawl through Nintendont using a secondary homebrew but haven't come up with anything so far.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Imagine vWii support for the adapter and having implementation for 8 player P:M. I know the game supports more than 4 players.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Nintendont is only for Gamecube backups. It will never work with Wii games.

The good news is that Nintendont doesn't require a cIOS (meaning, it's possible to run hackless). It should be possible to integrate the same controller support into other loaders, including the PM launcher. If desired, it could even support dualshocks and generic USB controllers.

Lopson

Smash Cadet
Now that you mention it, using the controller configuration files made for Nintendont on a solution for Project M would be a healthy way of solving this problem. I doubt these files are under the GPL license that cover Nintendont, so using them shouldn't bring about any license issues, so as long as the code used to read these files isn't the one used in Nintendont...

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
I want this. Frankly I was about to create a thread about my want for this and then I saw this.

Project M running through HDMI, lagless, with real Gamecube-controllers would be amazing.

I'd contact the Nintendont Dev-team if I were the PM-devs. They could probably help out.

I've been playing Melee on Wii U with real Gamecube controllers for almost a month, patiently waiting for PM to let me do the same.

Narpas_sword

I
Project M running through HDMI, lagless, with real Gamecube-controllers would be amazing.
http://www.neoya.com/wii2hdmi

you'll be no more lagless with a wiiu than this.

it's more than likley your display casuing the most of the lag.

If its not your display (i.e you have a really good one) then the adapter isnt going to create any more noticeable input lag

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
http://www.neoya.com/wii2hdmi

If its not your display (i.e you have a really good one) then the adapter isnt going to create any more noticeable input lag
I have a Wii connected through composite to a CRT for Project M. That is lagless.

I have a Wii U and the official gamecube-adapter running HDMI for Smash 4. That is also lagless.

I already have the equipment and it works perfectly for Melee on Wii U (through Nintendont). That is also completely-lagless. Project M also runs completely-lagless on Wii U. The problem is the controller.

I very much would not like to spend $30 for an adapter to a console that might very well die out if P:M gets support for the controller-adapter. I have a lot more faith in P:M than some weird one-use adapter. I could probably buy a whole Gamecube/CRT-setup with a controller on Craigslist for $30 (I've seen that price around my area).

The moment I can play Project M on my HDTV with a Gamecube controller and the official adapter is the day I pack up my Wii and CRT to become exclusively an additional tournament-setup.

The only thing restricting Project M on Wii U is the controllers, and this thread shows that there is at the very least SOME demand. Once that's incorporated, P:M will run the same as most all original Wiis.

Who knows, maybe the Wii/Wii U homebrew-scene can make it work with other Wii games running in vWii that use the Gamecube-controller, IE Mario Kart Wii.

Frankly, this could also help those unfortunate souls stuck with the Wii Family-edition to play Project M as intended, God bless those poor people (Mini users RiP). That scenario would also lead to more adapter-sales from Wii U-holdouts.

This might even lead to bigger things than just P:M.

I know it's not a competitive-thing so it's not a priority, but I can hope, right?

At least there's always that awesome addon-system! P:M 3.5 FTW!

Narpas_sword

... it's $30 man.

if your setup with your tv using the wii u is lagless like you say, you've spent a hell of a lot more on the tv than $30

Last edited:

Lopson

Smash Cadet

Sorry for the untimely bump of the thread, just thought I'd chime in again on this topic.

The lag is highly dependent of the converter's quality, something which this converter doesn't really have. The lag it introduces is bearable, but the image quality is completely ruined with almost level 5 JPEG-like compression. The colors are washed out, it's full of artifacts... At least it works, so it has that going for it.

Moving beyong the lag debate, there's also a longevity issue here that should be taken into consideration. Getting P:M to work great with the WiiU would be very beneficial in the long run. After all, having a pure digital output and it being a newer console are factors that can prolong this game's lifespan. And besides, there's a convenience factor. It'd be super handy to have this game work with the WiiU GC adapter, considering that you can already use it to play both Sm4sh and Melee on the same console.

It'd be super cool to hear from one of the P:M devs on the feasibility of this request.

S0 B00sted

Smash Cadet
Premium
Sorry for the untimely bump of the thread, just thought I'd chime in again on this topic.

The lag is highly dependent of the converter's quality, something which this converter doesn't really have. The lag it introduces is bearable, but the image quality is completely ruined with almost level 5 JPEG-like compression. The colors are washed out, it's full of artifacts... At least it works, so it has that going for it.

Moving beyong the lag debate, there's also a longevity issue here that should be taken into consideration. Getting P:M to work great with the WiiU would be very beneficial in the long run. After all, having a pure digital output and it being a newer console are factors that can prolong this game's lifespan. And besides, there's a convenience factor. It'd be super handy to have this game work with the WiiU GC adapter, considering that you can already use it to play both Sm4sh and Melee on the same console.

It'd be super cool to hear from one of the P:M devs on the feasibility of this request.
Can we not turn this thread into one of the many discussions on causes of lag?

How are you accomplishing this? I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to launch Brawl through Nintendont using a secondary homebrew but haven't come up with anything so far.
Perhaps I'm wrong. I swear I saw some sort of video of it on YouTube. I can't find it now though. Either way, it seems like it should be possible, though.

Top Bottom