• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suggestion: Customized Random Character.

Professor.Viking

Smash Rookie
Its hard for me to express how big a deal this would be. At least for players like me.

I would love. LOVE. if it was possible to only allow certain character to be selected when you select Random.

First, let me explain how it could work.

Option 1:
When someone picks random, colored check marks will appear in one of the 4 corners of each characters portrait. Clicking on one of these checkmaks will make the checkmark disappear, and that character will no longer be randomly selected for that player.

Here is an example of how it would work.:
Player 1 selects random. Suddenly, there are little red checkmarks in the upper right hand corner of the character portraits. He likes the fast characters, so he unchecks everything but the spacies, Sheik, and CF. He isnt very good with Squirtle, pikachu, or ness, but he adds them in too because he wants to learn them.
Player 2 selects random and selects his checkmarks on projectile wielding characters, and player 4 selects random and selects his checkmarks on the heavy hitters like Ganon and Charizard.
Now, each player will be will be guaranteed to be playing a character they like, without his playstyle becoming stale. Further, nobody will be counterpicking and recounterpicking their character choices due to bad matchups.
With customized random, random can even become viable pick for tournament play, and can add alittle excitement to matches.

Option 2:
Perhaps the second way to do this would be to make a players random preferences tied to their gamertags. However, you would have to create a second page where you could customize your preferences, and in a tournament or large smashfest situation, it could take an awful long time to set up your gamertag on an unfamiliar wii, and it wouldn't be as fluid to take a character in and out of rotation.
However, this could allow for more customization. For example, you could set it to pick ganon 50% of the time and wario, charizard, ike, DK, and Lucario the other 50% of the time. (10% of the time each).... But that would likely be much harder to code then option 1.

I think this would be big. I know allot of people get in a rut with maining just one character and breaking out a secondary or two every now and again, but with so many amazing a viable characters in brawl, anything that gets them showcased more is good. Customized random can ensure variety and that the only thing that determines who you play, is preference and playstyle.
For those who dont want to select random, nothing would change. But for those with allot of alts or characters they want or who have a specific playstyle preference, this could be a godsend.

So. Could someone with experience coding PM tell me how hard this would be to do?
I think it would be a good idea... assuming its even possible. But given all you guys have been able to do so far, I think the chances are likely good.

splat

Smash Lord
So, if I understand correctly, it is some sort of personalized stage striking, but with characters?

Sounds quite awesome to me.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Good thing you realized that nobody was going to respond to this thread on Smashmods, and made an account here to ask it again.

I think it's a pretty good idea, but I need to hear the coders on it.

Lykos-

Smash Rookie
I would love to see this and have been wanting to see a feature like this for a while.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I can't see this being possible.

Edit: actually it might work in the same fashion as stage striking. Not too sure. Either way, I'm pretty sure this will not be the pmbr's priority.

Professor.Viking

Smash Rookie
Good thing you realized that nobody was going to respond to this thread on Smashmods, and made an account here to ask it again.

I think it's a pretty good idea, but I need to hear the coders on it.
This is the first time I suggested it, so whoever suggested it on smashmods did so independent of me... good to hear its got support cropping up though.

My name used to be Zenjamin on here, but I stopped posting and playing when brawl came out and it began to be hard too find people still interested in melee... Strangely enough, the hardcore melee players I used to run with didnt switch to brawl, they just stopped playing smash altogether. Some were just demoralized after brawl. Happy to see PM is changing that.

Ive just been out of the scene for so long I forgot my username/password/what email I was using.

I mained ganon and like heavy hitters, so I would be one of the people who would use this to make sure I got a specific type of character with some others peppered in, but many would use this to just strike acouple of characters from their random..... But everyone has a few characters that they just hate to play and do not use random specifically because of those characters.... This would make random viable and fun for money matches for every type of player. it might even be worth maining 2-3 characters and then picking random in a tournament setting, just to throw your opponent off and keep things fresh.
... not sure I would be comfortable doing that with with though.

Even if no competitive implementation was used, it would still make smashfests and learning new characters allot more fun. And that alone would be worth the work required to make this happen.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This is something I would love to see added to the game.

NNID
dansalvato
It would be extremely difficult to implement and I'm focusing on other features at the moment. It's not impossible, but the most difficult part would be adding the menu items to make this possible. I have some ideas floating around in my head that could work, but again, I won't be visiting this for quite a while. If another coder on the team would like to take a crack at it then that would be awesome.

Professor.Viking

Smash Rookie
It would be extremely difficult to implement and I'm focusing on other features at the moment. It's not impossible, but the most difficult part would be adding the menu items to make this possible. I have some ideas floating around in my head that could work, but again, I won't be visiting this for quite a while. If another coder on the team would like to take a crack at it then that would be awesome.
I understand. I know you guys are volunteers and most likely have pretty full plates right about now.
quick question... is this the right place to be posting this, or is there a place where coders are more likely to view this. Like a suggestions sub forum or something.
Thanks for the response.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I just came to say this would be awesome. that way I could put my 6 mains on random and pick random every game. Then you know that way I wont get rusty with any of them.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I understand. I know you guys are volunteers and most likely have pretty full plates right about now.
quick question... is this the right place to be posting this, or is there a place where coders are more likely to view this. Like a suggestions sub forum or something.
Thanks for the response.
To my understanding KC-MM has more coders, but that could be wrong.
And because currently there's no P:M suggestion forum, the general forums i your best bet.

XxGUNZxX

Smash Apprentice
An issue with project M that a couple of friends and I, and apparently some others as well are having, is that there are a few characters that we don't like to play, and it is a pain going random, selecting a stage, having everything load up, and then find out that you are one of those characters, and have to quit out of the game in hopes that you don't get one of them again (this is especially annoying if both players are going random). I think that an easy way to fix this would be to include the melee random. All you do, is put your cursor off a character and press A, and it will go to a random character the way it did in melee. That way, you know what character you are getting before you start the match and can change if you don't like the selection. I feel that this would be save a lot of time and frustration for many people.

This is not as in depth and might not be able to do all of the things as the original poster had intended, but it would still be very helpful and I don't think it would be very hard to implement.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
An issue with project M that a couple of friends and I, and apparently some others as well are having, is that there are a few characters that we don't like to play, and it is a pain going random, selecting a stage, having everything load up, and then find out that you are one of those characters, and have to quit out of the game in hopes that you don't get one of them again (this is especially annoying if both players are going random). I think that an easy way to fix this would be to include the melee random. All you do, is put your cursor off a character and press A, and it will go to a random character the way it did in melee. That way, you know what character you are getting before you start the match and can change if you don't like the selection. I feel that this would be save a lot of time and frustration for many people.

This is not as in depth and might not be able to do all of the things as the original poster had intended, but it would still be very helpful and I don't think it would be very hard to implement.
Yeah that would be good enough for me. Maybe have a true random and a Melee style random. That way I can just hit random until it picks a satisfactory character.

Professor.Viking

Smash Rookie
Useful for some, but not nearly as useful as one of the one of the two options I put in the OP.
Melee random is enough for those with many alts in casual smashfests.... but as far as getting a random pick of 2-6 favorites, it wouldn't work.

I will agree that it would at least be better then what we currently have though.

Deus

Smash Journeyman
I would love this, I remember having money matches in melee with my friends where we would each get to pick like 3 chars that the other person couldn't play if it came up on random and each person got a 3 chars they would be able to repick if they got. A lot easier with the random pick of melee but the char striking would be even cooler for practicing as well.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
This is exactly what I was thinking. In theory it can be done, but the execution of it is the problem.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
How about if you float your icon over random and press 'B' it does Melee style random and if you press 'A' it behaves as true random? That sounds like a happy medium that would be easier to implement than random select.

Professor.Viking

Smash Rookie
This is exactly what I was thinking. In theory it can be done, but the execution of it is the problem.
Nice. So we have established that it can be done and that there is support for it.
Now its just a matter of establishing when it would be worth the time/ energy to actually implement it.

Though it seems this may be rather low on the priority list and that this idea might be shelved until all the characters are released.
I only ask that coders remember that it is on the shelf for when they eventually are freed up to work on it.

Professor.Viking

Smash Rookie
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=333284

Reading this, it looks like that there may be allot of great characters who will not make it much in the tournament scene because some of those characters have bad matchups and can be easily counterpicked.

Just wanted to point out that customized random could neutralize this.
Have a main you love but has very bad weaknesses with some characters? Main another character that does well against characters that might be picked against your other main. Now you opponent will not know which of your mains they will get, and so instead will pick their character only based on who they enjoy/ play with most.

Top Bottom