• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sudden Death is the worst idea in smash history.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Okay, I will keep this short and simple. Some of you think Brawl Meta Knight was the worst idea, others hate some stages, but NO. Those are not the worst. Sudden death? Ye boy, you got it right!

I'll explain. So if you and you're opponent are having an intense match/they are camping when you both have high percents and can't get them without dying, then BOOM sudden death GO! Here, whoever has the best projectile wins. Faster moving, shield breaking, the better the projectile, the more SD wins. Now you might say:

"But Maz, can't you just dodge and jump?"

Well yes, but it depends the stage. For example, facing a Lucario or a Zelda on Battlefield in sudden death is the worst. Projectile spam so you can't be under the platforms. "Then just jump over the platforms duh lol" uhh no, once you finally even get close after dodging 10 blasts, the bombs rain down after 20 SECONDS! TWENTY DANG SECONDS! So the person camping gets the win because they get a head shield while you die from bombs.

This '20 second until bombs plummet the more rushdown character" also helps people who ledge grab. DODGE DODGE DODGE DODGE DODGE DODGE "hey look, BOMBS!" *Runs onto ledge and bombs fly down, killing opponent*

In my opinion, if Sudden Death was changed to maybe a one stock 80 health no bombs or something, perfect. How it is now, annoying. Especially in tournaments when playing on battlefield and stuff, I just hate when people use the "strategy" of dodging until bombs come and laughing their heads off when they win.

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Sudden death isn't really used in competitive play, if the game goes to time the person who is in the lead (Whoever has the Lower %) wins the match.

Unfortunately we can't do this in For Glory which is annoying because you can be dominating a match only for your opponent to stall and win in SD.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Random Tripping is much worse than Sudden Death.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
*Random Tripping
*Smash Tour
*3ds version

Only problem I have is the bombs dropping randomly and even then it's the random aspect I hate but it's to stop camping.

EDIT: Was it really necessary to bump an old thread?

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Sudden death was not meant for tourneys. At parties, sudden death is pretty stressful and people don't camp each other out in casual fights.
Agree with the others. Tripping is worse because everybody taking the game seriously gets annoyed.

D

Deleted member 269706

I would argue that Dark Pit was a worse addition :p

D

Deleted member

I'm fine with Sudden Death. I think I've lost a lot of Sudden Deaths recently but even still I think it's a good idea.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Step 1. Pick Sonic or Wario
Step 2 . Use Side B
Step 3 . Congratulations you won.
I'd agree this mode is probably my least favorite mode, but not my least favorite idea, that would be reserved for the utter madness that is Brawl Tripping.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Probably the least desirable thing in a competitive game is a draw; nothing beats the disappointment of seeing "No Contest" as the crowd groans! Sudden Death exists to quickly decide a winner while still giving the players agency in the situation. Tourneys circumvent Sudden Death, but in a casual match a tiebreaker game is frequently undesirable.

_gold_

Smash Master
You just gotta deal with it.
But I will say the Bob-ombs do appear way too soon.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Sudden Death can be fun. It can end a serious match on a lighter, what-the-hell-just-happened note. Most sudden deaths I've usually laughed over.

Competitively, sudden death is irrelevant, so that doesn't even matter.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Schnee117 Schnee117
Let's not diss the 3DS version... it's got tolerable Classic Mode, Smash Run, and less-annoying stage designs. Other than that, I agree with everything you said.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Yeah, SD can be pretty annoying for certain characters, in particular ones like Ganon who might have a hard time rushing an enemy down (Especially if it's someone like Sonic, Falcon, Fox or LM for example, who can just run away). After 400+ games online though, I've only ever had SD about 2-3 times, so it doesn't bother me much, but I can see why it's annoying.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Personally I like Sudden Death If I'm not playing a serious/competitive match. The "Projectiles win" is true, but it's technically your fault. You chose a character that doesn't use projectiles/doesn't have good projectiles and had a sudden death and lost. Too bad.

Now, people who stall just to sudden death is a whole different story.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Sudden Death can be hype and blegh. All depends on the matchup.

It would be nice if victories were also decided in-game by damage % instead of just stocks. Either way, tournaments don't use the in game sudden death, so meh.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
You mean to tell me that sudden death is worse than....

TRIPPING?

But in all seriousness, I think SD should just be changed to how its done in competitive where the person with the lower percent wins. Its more fair and is more like a traditional fighting game in that sense

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Smash Tour is the worst idea in Smash history. I don't mind sudden death, though.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm personally not a huge fan of Sudden Death either. I don't think it's the worst idea to plague Smash Bros. however.

Perhaps top 3 though:

1. Random Tripping
2. Smash Tour
3. Sudden Death

Last edited:

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I think it's fun and there are worse things, like Dark Pit, 75m and Smash Tour.

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Sudden death itself is not a problem really. It's a quirky way to end a match in a game that is (let's face it) designed for a casual playerbase. If it happened for every match, I'd have a serious problem but it happens so rarely that I sometimes forget it exists. Playing stock matches only with friends has made this happen since time matches aren't really a whole of fun imo. I can see where people see it as a problem because SD seems so much more prevalent in online matches where, even in FG 1v1, the time limit for stock matches can often be too short (Anyone tried facing a Pac-Man on FG as someone like DH or possibly Wario?). In this case, I don't think it's SD that's the problem but the setup of online matches that's the problem. FG 1v1's having a 5 minute time limit is a bit strict. 5 min 30 sec is probably a better choice to reduce SD to once in a blue moon. 2 min matches everywhere else is a bad idea and always has been a bad idea. 2 mins is not enough time to do anything in this game and I've seen SD's happen between all members of a For Fun ffa match without anyone getting a kill. Bottom line, if you don't like SD, then you might wanna consider playing the game in a different way like playing offline with friends without a time limit on stock matches, or offline against amiibos without a time limit, or... offline. Seriously, the online is awful.

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
I don't like how Sudden Death takes the stock count into consideration rather than the damage percentage. I think if both players have one stock left, the player with the lowest percentage should win the match. That seems to be the norm in other fighting games (though I realize Smash is fairly different from traditional fighters).

Perhaps if the two players are close in terms of damage (maybe no more than 5% above or below), THEN it goes into Sudden Death mode.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Nobody expected Smash Bros. to become a competitive phenomenon like it did. SD was designed so that in a 4-person FFA, the winner could be decided quickly without the other players getting bored. Nobody uses SD in competitive, so it's a moot point.

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
A. Should be in Brawl section.

B. Sudden Death is important because you can't make the game take too long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom