• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Sudden Death bomb drop

rawcomrade91

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3411-1935-6585
Never realized this was a thing until moments ago, I was facing off against a lv9 in the demo and about 10-15 seconds into sudden death Bomb-ombs start randomly dropping and kill me instantly.

Upon further reading, this apparently has been a feature since Brawl or even Melee , I had just never been in a situation to experience it.

Was anyone else familiar with this? What do you think about bombs dropping? I don't like the fact it's random, it leaves the outcome nearly entirely to chance.

Beastferu

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryPhrax
3DS FC
3351-4134-0653
I remember this from Melee. I don't like it either, because even though the SDs aren't supposed to last long, it's still not fair when you have to deal with random bombs that you have no chance surviving a blast from on top of the enemy. In tournaments though, you don't go through with Sudden Deaths. If the match isn't over before the time limit and players have the same stock(s), then I believe the player who was damaged more loses.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
Yeah, I knew the bombs were there, it's just another reason I hate sudden death

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I knew they were there, I was kind of hoping they would be removed in this iteration though. Sudden death is bad enough, but the bomb-drop is just unfair since it only hits the stage and more than likely you'll be the one on the stage while the computer has managed to survive on the edge of the screen.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
The bomb drops are dumb. They spawn and explode practically instantaneously, so it's completely random who they kill. At that point, why not just call it a draw, or have the game flip a coin for the winner. No amount of skill or reflexes can save you from the bombs.

Sudden death itself is okay in my eyes (non-competitively), but there's barely any time to actually fight in sudden death. Everyone I've faced plays very defensively in sudden death, so the fights are pretty much inevitably decided by which unlucky shmuck gets a bomb spawned on his head. In the dozen or so sudden deaths I've played in SSB3DS, about 75% of the matches were determined by the bombs.

JackAttack91

Smash Rookie
Yeah I encountered this for the first time the other day too. I didn't actually know it was also a part of melee and brawl.. I thought it was just something new they added this time around.

I don't actually think it's much of a problem. But if I ran a tournament I wouldn't let matches go to sudden death, at least not in the finals.

Brad Darkstorm

Smash Rookie
While I agree the bombs are Quite annoying, I don't usually end up in that situation, I've been very lucky, in that matches end with the AI very quickly, win or lose.
Sure the bombs are annoying, but atleast they can lead to some very funny youtube videos of star KOs being thwarted by the would be winner being bob-ombed!

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I have always known about this, And it is way too easy to avoid honestly. I only see them drop on the platform instead of all of the stage just jump off if you don't wanna die.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Bombs can't get to you if you just hang on the ledge, hopping up and down. Turned into the ultimate standoff on each end in the demo with a friend. Who could grab the ledge the most?!

Viper Bite

Smash Rookie
I didn't know until I saw it on ZeRo's stream on a betting match. The two players who ended up in sudden death were both not moving and so a bomb finished it. Can't allow an exploit to make sudden death to last indefinitely y'know.

GrizzlyEatsKids

Smash Apprentice
NNID
foodonfloor
3DS FC
3351-4506-8996
I never knew that this was a thing. It's rather...interesting. I'm not sure that I like it much either, although I agree that you can't just let sudden death go on forever.

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Happens in Melee, Brawl, and now Smash 4. Its kind of a thing people don't notice unless they are camping pretty hard or playing timed matches.

Khao

Smash Lord
I don't like Sudden Death as a whole, but I don't think the bomb drop is bad.

It's there to force you to act fast, which is the whole freaking point of Sudden Death. Basically, if a bomb kills you, it's your own fault for letting the thing last long enough for bombs to appear.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
A friend of mine recently discovered this the other day in the demo as well, which kind of surprised me because I've known about it from previous installments. Still, it doesn't bother me at all because I very rarely ever get into Sudden Death, considering my friends and I play on stocks. I guess it is unfair if you play timed and it comes down to that, but it usually doesn't and I just see it as adding more hilarious tension when you're avoiding both bombs and players.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
They should have done this in a cooler fashion, Like a slow homing missile appears and chases the closest player down and it grows overtime.

rawcomrade91

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3411-1935-6585
I get that sudden death can't go on forever, but maybe they could have come up with a less...explosive way to end things. :p I agree in that sudden death is also played defensively, though.

Never really thought about hanging from the ledge though, maybe I'll try that next time.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I always liked the bomb drop. I'm surprised so many people hadn't heard of it, it's something I've encountered a lot since Melee

Chocobo Link

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4253-3960-6377
They've only ever appeared once for me and that was in Brawl.
My friends and I never had to worry about bomb drops since SDs were always resolved in seconds.

Top Bottom