• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subspace in Smash Switch, but with a catch.

Buttcheeks mcgee

Smash Apprentice
As many of you know, Subspace played an integral part in Super Smash Bros. Brawl seeing as it was the story mode to the game and it provided lore to a game that didn't have much of a story to begin with. Subspace was also cut out of Sm4sh because Sakurai and his team spent a lot of time on the cutscenes in Brawl only for them to be ripped and uploaded to Youtube.

I would love for them to bring back Subspace as it was a feature beloved by a lot of people.

The catch is that instead of it being 3D computer animated cutscenes, it would be anime-like cutscenes like the kind we saw in Palutena's reveal trailer.

As for the cutscenes it's gonna be pretty hard to rip them from the game and put them together and if that ever does happen it would be hard to bypass Nintendo's youtube system now that they know how to operate it,

Thoughts?

Morbi

Scavenger
I fail to see the difference that the art-style would make. People would still upload the cut-scenes. I do not believe the problem was monetary based so much as it ruined the experience. Either way, whatever is the cheapest and easiest is fine by me, I just want to see Nintendo character interact.

Buttcheeks mcgee

Smash Apprentice
I fail to see the difference that the art-style would make. People would still upload the cut-scenes. I do not believe the problem was monetary based so much as it ruined the experience. Either way, whatever is the cheapest and easiest is fine by me, I just want to see Nintendo character interact.
yeaaaaah but Nintendo does take down content that shouldn't really be leaked.

None the less I really want subspace.

Atem

Smash Cadet
I don’t think we are getting sub space back. Mostly because the development time was about 2 games. With 2.5 years I don’t think that is the case. But yes sadly that includes the cutscenes. If they were to make cutscenes (other than character reveals) would be in game models. Sort of like the the animations at the end of classic mode. But after classic mode I think would be it sorry. The closest thing we COULD get would probably adventure mode but that is still a long shot.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I think an adventure mode like Brawl's with co-op would be an excellent feature. One concession I would make is no cutscenes at all. Just Kirby-styled levels featuring enemies and locations across the series' history. It would also be the most wonderful excuse I can think of to keep in features like custom equipment that alter your character's stats. Being able to customize a fighter is a feature ignored by competitive players and largely unexplored by casual players due to how much time and effort it takes to earn good stuff and equip it in menus outside of the Versus mode that they spend 95% of their play time in.

The cutscenes are nice. But I'd sooner take the cool character reveal trailers if you made me choose where the animation budget should be going.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
i'd much rather have something like melee's adventure mode; a dozen or so stages with design concessions to even the slowest characters and diverse enemies/theming rather than a drab and repetitive bucket of samey levels that butcher the already-clunky physics

tbh smash could make a pretty serviceable beat-em-up but the way subspace did it needs significant improvement to be anything worthwhile

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
Two adventure modes would be nice. The main Adventure mode is just a remake of the Melee Adventure mode, with a bit of tweaks here and then. The second Adventure mode would be a remake of Brawl's Subspace Emissary, complete with full-on voice acting in the cutscenes (dual audio) and incorporating every character in the game, including all of the DLC/add-on characters. However, "Adventure Two" would only be available once DLC character inclusions end, and if you downloaded all of them.

Glitch_Wiz

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I'd love to have an adventure mode, but i'd like it a bit short. For example: a mode almost like Revenge of Meta Knight from Kirby Superstar. Though that is if they put about minimum effort. I'd love to see an adventure mode about the size of subspace, but a tad bit bigger. And maybe a bit more ambitious than subspace too. (what I mean by that is character interactions by dialogue, boss battles against opponents from different games [Example: Metal Face, Galactic Knight, and old bosses like mecha bowser] and perhaps different styles of gameplay to experience.) Though I'm thinking too ambitious... Something as big as that would mostly not happen from being too much work.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Youtube spoilers aren't the reason we didn't get a new Story Mode. At the time Nintendo and Youtubers were fighting because Nintendo wanted anyone who played Nintendo games on their Youtube channel to join a Nintendo program so Nintendo could gain some measure of the Youtubers profits. There were some videos that got blocked due to copyright because Nintendo wouldn't make money if they didn't join their program.

Never forget that even Nintendo can be bullies. A lot of Youtube personalities stopped reviewing/covering Nintendo because they would get their video taken down. Hopefully Nintendo learn their lesson this time around. A Story Mode would be very well received.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If there was a story mode, it has to be a sequel to Brawl's Subspace Emissary. And there's gotta be some voice acting. Also, Sonic has gotta have a bigger role and appear earlier in the story. I don't like how he was just a deus ex machina. Sonic should team up with Mario and have a boss fight against Eggman (who remembers Mario from the Olympics). It would be awesome to have a level where Samus helps Star Fox in one of their space battles. And then when a Rayquaza shows up, Fox remembers his battle in the lake, prompting Samus to call out Pikachu (the one Pikachu that helped her in Brawl, which she reveals that she caught) to use its Thunder to bring down the Dragon-Flying Rayquaza.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Youtube spoilers aren't the reason we didn't get a new Story Mode. At the time Nintendo and Youtubers were fighting because Nintendo wanted anyone who played Nintendo games on their Youtube channel to join a Nintendo program so Nintendo could gain some measure of the Youtubers profits. There were some videos that got blocked due to copyright because Nintendo wouldn't make money if they didn't join their program.

Never forget that even Nintendo can be bullies. A lot of Youtube personalities stopped reviewing/covering Nintendo because they would get their video taken down. Hopefully Nintendo learn their lesson this time around. A Story Mode would be very well received.
Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai explained the move in a recent Weekly Famitsu column (translated via Kotaku):

"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet. You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cut scenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

The YouTube content policy you stated happened years after the game started development. Nor do I see how they could possibly be related?

Last edited:

ShadowKoopa

Smash Rookie
As for the cutscenes it's gonna be pretty hard to rip them from the game and put them together and if that ever does happen it would be hard to bypass Nintendo's youtube system now that they know how to operate it,
That wouldn't mean much if someone like GameXplain, posted them all by recording it. You don't need to rip them and since GameXplain is a Nintendo reviewer, I doubt their algorithm will delete their video.

As for the idea of anime cutscenes, I'd love it but honestly, I don't think we'll get a Subspace 2. I think if we get a new solo mode I'd be something different.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
The cutscenes don't need to be anime. I would prefer if they were 3D and rendered in the game engine and the characters would use the same models as when they are played in matches.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
The catch is that instead of it being 3D computer animated cutscenes, it would be anime-like cutscenes like the kind we saw in Palutena's reveal trailer.

Thoughts?
If they made 2D animation, it'd likely have a really choppy framerate (like the Palutena trailer, most anime is animated on 3s). Considering how crummy japans animation industry is, I'd rather the people who handled the CG trailers did the cutscene animation, while the character trailers were mostly gameplay footage, so the CG animation team can focus on animating all those neat character interactions.

Although Brawl used in-game models for the cutscene animation, which is probably quicker than proper CG trailers.

Either way, if they got 2D animation, they'd either cough up a massive wad of dough or have pretty lackluster animation.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
And since Smash is a crossover of a whole bunch of video games, the cutscenes should be a video game style. Even if an anime character like Goku gets in, it should still be CGI cutscenes using in-game models.

Top Bottom