• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stupidest/funniest Rest setup?

CASHMONEYDOLLABILLS

Smash Cadet
Depends how good your friend is, but if he's not that great getting upthrow -> rest can be pretty easy if they DI poorly. If he has predictible recovery just bthrow -> bair or fair

nair -> rest brings the salt, too

yawns56k

Smash Rookie
One of my friends isn't very smart on approaches (E: rather, he gets impatient) and will often resort to dash attacks and JC grabs and I just like sitting there and CC / crouching under and getting that sweet sweet "ZZZzzzz........ Jiiiiig?"

Last edited:

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
If you want to really fudge with him, do an up b to grab edge from edge and put him to sleep. You can keep him asleep from 45 percent up by repeating this process. You can also rest him.
Another fun one to do is resting up-smash after it hits your shield.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
If you want to really fudge with him, do an up b to grab edge from edge and put him to sleep. You can keep him asleep from 45 percent up by repeating this process. You can also rest him.
Another fun one to do is resting up-smash after it hits your shield.
I ****ing love up b on edge

it is so gimmicky

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I played Squeak (Metaknight main) in some PM friendlies recently. He had never played against puff before. Needless to say, he got bopped. But my favorite moment was when I pulled off a ledge stall sing > rest on him. He flipped out. Squeak is funny when he's salty. Made me feel glad destroying some PM noob with Melee stuff.

CASHMONEYDOLLABILLS

Smash Cadet
I have never managed to get it on my friends, only CPUs :[ but the day I do there will be much trash talk
Have hit ledge cancelled sing into rest a few times on my buddies; it's hilarious. I only do it when I am ahead, but I camp the ledge until they get impatient and try to throw out sing to catch them in an f-smash lag, or something similar.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
WD OoS is kinda funny. But D-smash to rest is disrespectful. I like to call it "Sleeping twirl". But I don't use it that often, I only use it when i play against bad players! :)

Last edited:

jbvh

sicdf
I can't believe no one has said taunt into rest. Any crouch-cancel or smash DI into rest always leave a sour taste in the mouth.

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
Rest out of respawn. Just drift right out of it and bam. Did this to my friend who plays sheik once. Needless to say I popped off.

Massive

Smash Champion
vs. spacies/low % chars:
dthrow towards offstage > rest

It's mindf*ck full of desperation. Most people are logically aware that they need to DI away, because DIing back takes you straight up and into the free-rest zone. However, DIing away in this situation sends you offstage vs. puff, which activates the primal NOPE instinct most players feel when they get sent offstage vs puff. Then you rest them.

This works on basically everyone, seriously. Hbox just did it to M2K at paragon. The funniest part is that M2K knows about this setup, but even he was powerless against the "DON'T DI OFFSTAGE VS PUFF" instinct.

Last edited:

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
vs. spacies/low % chars:

It's mindf*ck full of desperation. Most people are logically aware that they need to DI away, because DIing back takes you straight up and into the free-rest zone. However, DIing away in this situation sends you offstage vs. puff, which activates the primal NOPE instinct most players feel when they get sent offstage vs puff. Then you rest them.

This works on basically everyone, seriously. Hbox just did it to M2K at paragon. The funniest part is that M2K knows about this setup, but even he was powerless against the "DON'T DI OFFSTAGE VS PUFF" instinct.
Love that one. Remember I used to think you always up throw spacies no matter what and when I heard Hbox or some commentator or whomever I heard explain this I thought it was so brilliant.

I think my favorite rest setup that hasn't been mentioned yet is the messed up jab reset. You jab before they hit the ground, go for the rest because you're so used to resting after the jab and you haven't reacted to the messed up jab reset yet, and it just works anyways because why not

-LzR-

Smash Hero
vs. spacies/low % chars:

I do this whenever I can against many characters. It works on characters like Falcon, Sheik and I think probably Marth and Ganon and so on. It works on a lot of characters. It's a choose how you want to die situation.
If they choose to take rest they can kill you if you have high %. If you cannot be killed from the punish they might choose to take their chances offstage.
It feels damn good to do this.

GspotMicrostock

Smash Rookie
not against fox so not entirely relevant to what you desire to know, but if you get caught in game and watched pump spam just spamming rest towards the ground / game and watch will indefinitely catch him and explode him. I have not tested this with humans but I imagine it's pretty much the same thing

JustYuck

Big Tipper
If you can break shield with neutral B, a couple of healthy taunts, then the rest. That is a combo guaranteed to bring some salt if you can pull it off.

ChumSSBM

Smash Rookie
Whenever you get fox off the stage and he side-b's into you, rest him from the lag of Side-b. This isnt really a joke rest set-up because i use it all the time in tournament but it is really stylish. Another one is from around 40-60% range you can up-air a spacie on a platform and if they miss the tech you can rest. Again it isnt really a joke but pretty cool looking.

squible2

Smash Cadet
If you do a tech trap so you know your opponent is going to miss the tech, you can just walk up rest them. This usually annoys them more than a regular jab reset rest. This also lets you cover tech in place with a rest if they don't fall for your tech trap.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
If you do a tech trap so you know your opponent is going to miss the tech, you can just walk up rest them. This usually annoys them more than a regular jab reset rest. This also lets you cover tech in place with a rest if they don't fall for your tech trap.
If there's a chance of them teching in place, then there's a chance of them teching left or right, so I wouldn't do this unless you're extremely confident that they'll miss the tech. But yeah, if you are confident then this works well. This, for example, is a really important tech trap to learn to use

Last edited:

Pafslash

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pafsafasafs
Raw Rest. No setup. It's damn near impossible without the hardest of reads, but boy does it bring the saltiest of salts.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I love any techchase into Rest. Against scrubs I feint shorthopping towards them after I get a knockdown then fade back to where I can just Rest a techroll in. (Obviously, it only covers the techroll in, but it works on scrubs.)

I like to think I'm actually good at techchasing on platforms with Rest. One time I caught a Fox on the top plat of FoD out of his getup attack by jumping inside him just low enough to not get hit and then Resting once it was over.

feelonine

Smash Rookie
pound into rest lolol

or in casual threes with your friends do the good ole Unstable Tactical Nuke, fall from the sky and bomb there asses with your rest

Jank++

Smash Cadet
This is more of a vs Marth tactic but probably my favorite humorous rest "setup" is roll to rest. If a marth is getting predictable with his smashes you can literally just pre-emptively roll into him through the smash and just jump rest em lol. Guaranteed to make any swordsman feel like a moron ;D

Last edited:
Top Bottom