• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stupid Tourney Idea

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I want opinions on this idea for a tourney. Essentially, it's a tourney where the opponent has to choose your character and vice versa. Essentially, trying to prove who's the best all around brawler. Of course, there would have to be rules set down or else it'd be ganon dittos all day.

Picking Rules:
Can only choose character once per 3 sets
Double Blind Pick
Counterpicks involving choosing both characters but loser picks stage

Stages:

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Brinstar
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair

If people actually like the dumb idea, I'd get it work. Only two problems that i would want suggestions on.
1. Should pokemon trainer be allowed to switch pokemon, Zelda and Shiek switch?
2. Can Samus change into ZSS?

I want to try this format for the laughs and frustration of it. Thoughts.

Frames

DI
Interesting idea, if i read this right, it's you choosing your opponent and they choose you? So then, you should have like 3 characters or so that you refuse to play as, like bans, same with your opponent, that way they won't pick a character you HATE.

Also, pokemon trainer should have switching because of the stamina, using only one pokemon would put that person at an extreme disadvantage.

Zelda/Sheik/Samus/ZSS are all characters that can function on their own, so if you pick zelda, they should stay zelda, if you pick samus they should stay samus, etc.

edit - gmoney ur just hatin cause you wouldn't be able to play meta 24/7 :D

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
"Stupid Tourney Idea"
I'll say.

A random character select tourney would be sweet though.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
Interesting idea, if i read this right, it's you choosing your opponent and they choose you? So then, you should have like 3 characters or so that you refuse to play as, like bans, same with your opponent, that way they won't pick a character you HATE.

Also, pokemon trainer should have switching because of the stamina, using only one pokemon would put that person at an extreme disadvantage.

Zelda/Sheik/Samus/ZSS are all characters that can function on their own, so if you pick zelda, they should stay zelda, if you pick samus they should stay samus, etc.

edit - gmoney ur just hatin cause you wouldn't be able to play meta 24/7 :D
Yeah, you got right. So Pokemon trainer switches, and Samus and Zelda/Shiek would have to stay. And also it's double blind pick, so you don't know exactly what the other will pick for you. If this thing ever came out, I'd put up a list of who each person picked. I like the bans idea though.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I had an idea like this, but instead of random characters, it was an opposite stage tournament. Stages like Final D and Battlefield were banned, but the stages (good ones ;D) like Pictochat and Distant Planet were neutral/counterpick.

If you're gonna do a tournament like this, where someone else chooses your character, then the whole point of counterpick stages is sort of lost. No point in having them, you might as well just run it on straight neutral stages.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
It ruins variety. Then again, variety is the whole point of the tourney. I'll see what the general consensus is on the counters.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Norfair is a terrible stage, regardless of what kind of tournament you're trying to run, anyways, and if you put Pirate Ship as a counterpick then I'll enter no matter what. I just want to play on Pirate Ship.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
I'd take Pirate Ship over Norfair myself. Only reason why I even like Norfair is the Golden Sun music.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
norfair is fine for a counterpick. It kinda embodies the essence of a counterpick.

also, this is ridiculous.

Everyone is going to pick the worse characters for their opponent everytime.

its going to be a tournament full of captain falcons and sonics
even if you can ban characters, everyone will ban the worst characters and then they will have to play the second worst character.

i dont think there is any rule you could implement from this just turning into a bunch of falcon dittos

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
norfair is fine for a counterpick. It kinda embodies the essence of a counterpick.

also, this is ridiculous.

Everyone is going to pick the worse characters for their opponent everytime.

its going to be a tournament full of captain falcons and sonics
even if you can ban characters, everyone will ban the worst characters and then they will have to play the second worst character.

i dont think there is any rule you could implement from this just turning into a bunch of falcon dittos
Did you not notice the whole you can only pick a character once per three set rule? You have to pick at the least 6 and at the most 9. Honestly, the variety in characters may not be that much different from tourneys now. If anything, you could pick a character that's higher tier, but you know the person cannot play (say Afro playing Ice Climbers). Trust me, ti'll make it interesting.

Also, Norfair has Golden Sun music, gtfo.

Top Bottom