• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling with samus and luigi

Little ShOcKeR

Smash Cadet
Hello puff players. So traditionally I would beat the samus player and luigi player in my region. But recently I have been struggling with them. So my question isn't what should I do in the match ups, but it's what do you guys do and look for in the match ups what patterns do you see lots of these characters go for overall from what you've seen in multiple regions. Well thanks in advance for the knowledge.

BairSSBM

Smash Rookie
I find it hard playing Samus because of how much footsies is involved in the MU. I typically spam bairs to rid of missiles and to catch Samus attempting to wavedash in to ftilt/dsmash/fsmash. I try to get a read on the Samus' movement when trying to recover, sometimes you can catch them with a bair, and sometimes you can just straight up aeriel their bomb so they don't get the boost. You can bair them a few times and end a string of 3-4 bairs with an up-air at low percents, but combos do not come easy nor do they come often.

When I play Luigi I try to keep in mind that Luigi's aerials come out quickly and shouldn't be underestimated. Well-spaced bairs should interrupt their slipping around (wavedashing). Also, edgeguards are kind of free, but ALWAYS assume they are going to misfire. Getting caught by that is no fun. This is based on my experiences with the Luigis and Samuses in my region

Kyler

Smash Cadet
I have a friend who plays luigi and I noticed that puff can beat luigi just by keeping stage control and pushing him off the stage by creating a wall of b-airs cause his recovery is extremely punishable especially his side-B because the ending lag on it is very long and gives more then enough time to get a rest. I also tend to opt for a F-throw or B-throw because if you U-throw you will only be able to follow up with a platform tech chase because of his N-air. you can also wavedash through his grounded fireballs but the timing is really hard so its just a random thing because you could just F-air it anyways. :jigglypuffmelee:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
U-throw does the most percent. If you have the choice between the 4 throws (and b-throw/f-throw wouldn't send Luigi offstage), usually u-throw is the best. Luigi's aerial drift is abysmal, so you have a good advantage by putting him above you. You can pseudo juggle him by baiting out nairs and punishing with your bair/fair or just catching him landing with an aerial and put a hitbox there.

Kyler

Smash Cadet
U-throw does the most percent. If you have the choice between the 4 throws (and b-throw/f-throw wouldn't send Luigi offstage), usually u-throw is the best. Luigi's aerial drift is abysmal, so you have a good advantage by putting him above you. You can pseudo juggle him by baiting out nairs and punishing with your bair/fair or just catching him landing with an aerial and put a hitbox there.
tbh all of this is prob true/possible i just have to go off of how i beat my friend though I dont get to play against high level luigis or any other luigis at all so after playing 100s of games with one luigi i prob got bad habits or did things that could only apply to him

Litt

Samus
Dthrow is most effective imo if you are mid stage because it puts samus closer to you and forces a double jump which you can follow if samus is scared of the follow up up air.

Almost every smash unless perfectly spaced can be rested... even unspace ftilt can be rested OoS

Bair wall shuts samus down and full hop advancing fair fading back is pretty safe and annoying for samus to deal with

Samus with charge shot pretty much makes the MU even and if you get grabbed... you can say hello to that charge shot to your face (even tho jiggs is pretty much all face)

To edgeguard the up b, just nair, samus can't do **** about it. and dair and fair work wonders for hitting out of tether.

Nair fair and bair all destroy missiles and mini chargeshots, so really just be patient. Oh and you should try and bait dash attacks... samuses love those and you can rest OoS

Top Bottom