• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling with Marth movement

Onoh

Smash Cadet
NNID
benclaremom
I'm still new to using Marth, but I am starting to get the hang of him I believe. I've been linking aerials and juggling more precisely and I have been doing better in covering options that my opponent can do. The real thing I still struggle with is movement. It's not that I do not know how to do it, it's that I don't know when to do it. I started using wavelands a lot more and I have tried to dashdance and wavedash more, but I just don't have the practice yet on doing it quickly and effectively. The only person I have to train with uses Falco as well, so that does not help my case since I am an amateur. If he's not available, I don't have any netcode or training other than with CPUs, but I digress. I just want some opinions on using Marth's incredible movement options and some scenarios on when to use them.

aqualad33

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately, Marth vs. Falco is a weird matchup movement wise. You either try to stay right next to him, or end up shielding a lot and acting out of shield. Your dash dance game gets broken up by his lazers so you can't really move the same way you normally would.

For movement in general the major key is learning how to transition between standing/walking state, dashing state, and running state smoothly utilizing run cancel (crotch cancel while in running animation) and wave dashes. Also understanding what options are available to you while you are in each state and where to apply them.

Two of marths flaws are 1. that he can not throw out safe persistent hitboxes like most of the cast, and 2. He has a big character frame that his shield can't always cover. Marth attempts to cover up these flaws using his spectacular movement, and his disjointed hit boxes. So instead of throwing out a shine or nair like fox or shiek, Marth dashes away and makes an attack from a safe range.

Although Marth is primarily defensive due to his lack of persistent hit boxes and high end lag on his moves. He can switch to offence very quickly with a run in dtilt or JC grab. Both of which can lead to early combos or edge guard opportunities.

Also avoid approaching with aerials, poorly spaced aerials will get you severely punished out of shield. Once you have your movement down you can run in and jump back doing a retreating short hop double fair or shield stop short hop double fair. Nair is usually bad unless it is retreating. It goes high enough that fox/falco can dash under it and upsmash you. I hope that helps.

Top Bottom