• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling to KO with the Gunner

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
Help me out here brothers. I'm trying to play this character for some fun, but I'm really struggling to KO with it. Any tips from your experience?

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
  • Dsmash with gunner's back to the edge can kill at 90%
  • 5th frame Utilt sweetspotted kills at 125-130% with a little rage
  • Uair at the top of a stage can kill around 70-90%
  • Dtilt kills around 115-120% with rage
  • Grenades and bombs kill around 125% w/opponent offstage
  • Fsmash kills at 100% with the opponent backed up to the edge or offstage
  • Charge blast kills around 125% w/ opponent near the edge or offstage
And so on. There's probably more that I haven't listed and the percentages might be off a bit, but as you can see, gunner doesn't kill real early.

Hopefully this video will be of any help.

Last edited:

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
To add to GS3k's list
USmash/ OOS USmash kills at ~ roughly 120 on mid weight
Up B 2 kills at ~ roughly 110 on mid weight. Lower if you catch them in the air
Bair can kill above 100 near the ledge or off stage.

Lots of situational options but cannot kill early beyond a gimp really.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget his Dair offstage, but it's a bit hard to hit.
Also I felt in love with the meteor smash on his 2nd up B (I believe, the low recovery one). It's way more easy to hit than his Dair.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Just to note, if ya'll are using the low-recovery Up-B, make sure you use the Absorbing Vortex alongside that. Your longevity will thank you.

But on the topic at hand, it'll really take either a good snipe with the Charge Shot or Grenade Launch offstage if you want an earlier kill. You've also gotta like, be on the edge for your smashes, too.

Gunner's all about living on the edge, but the fun thing is that you've got ways to poke your opponent from far away. If you're way too cautious of reflectors and the like, you can always help get a (kinda?) earlier kill by reflecting your reflected projectile.

As long as your opponent doesn't reflect back your reflected projectile with his reflector that was previously reflected by your foe's reflector. Just reflect on that.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Just to note, if ya'll are using the low-recovery Up-B, make sure you use the Absorbing Vortex alongside that. Your longevity will thank you.
Yup, even against non-ranged character it helps I believe, thanks to the jump-Vortex thing (if you use vortex while jumping you go highter).

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Yup, even against non-ranged character it helps I believe, thanks to the jump-Vortex thing (if you use vortex while jumping you go highter).
It also helps in the case that any of your projectiles are reflected/pocketed too, so that's a thing

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
That is one of Gunner's Weakness. Does not kill till 130%ish. Dtilt and Utilt will be your best friends. Thankfully, Gunner is great at edgeguarding. Be careful about using the smashes because they are very punishable(especially Forward Smash).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Be careful about using the smashes because they are very punishable(especially Forward Smash).
True, but it's also great when people try to punish it by sidestepping (ha!) or rolling from too far away. :088:

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
True, but it's also great when people try to punish it by sidestepping (ha!) or rolling from too far away. :088:
Indeed, it is quite hilarious when they see the Fsmash and they do one of the two.

Top Bottom