• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

struggling online

mikeafc

Smash Rookie
im struggling to make that extra push competitively online. im really struggling with catching people with my aerials and i see so many opportunities to punish but i cant for the life of me do it. i play lucario and game and watch whom i love playing with but im not improving enough.

Any tips on how to improve? Thank you

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Honestly, aerial approaches aren't the name of Smash 4's game. You can punish with aerials and combat other aerial characters with aerials, but air-to-ground is generally not safe. At least none of the characters I play are designed to do it safely. I've been learning about each character one by one and watching footage (gotta study the game as a commentator), and air-to-ground approaches isn't really spoken about.

There ARE some safe options - like Marth FH fair - but we're not really at the point of utilizing that kind of gameplay yet as, across the board, it's just not the safest thing to do in Smash 4. Keep in mind, we don't have a c-stick and we're playing on a flat tiny controller right now with a pseudo-control-stick. Mechanically, however, this is a noted decrease in the effectiveness of air-to-ground approaches and options in general due to intentional mechanics changes.

You have to focus on footsies, jabs, grabs (grabs are something many newer or lower-skill players don't use enough), and sadly rolls (with some dashes mixed in to change spacing points).

Use aerials when you're both in the air - that's the best utilization for them in Smash 4. That's not even out of the ordinary, because high-skill play usually works like this anyway as metas develop.

This works as a competitive playstyle as you can fake-out aerial follow ups with empty jumps and grabs/jabs/smashes/whatever on landing as there are inevitable landing lag frames for everyone now.

Punishing landings is how I've seen most players dominate, and it seems to be at the forefront in Smash 4 due to landing lag when airdodging (good!) but no real alternative way to safely land in return unlike melee. Character-specific ways of juking landings and landing safely are more important now, and make some of the cast stronger in this current metagame than others.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Welcome to Smashboards!

First of all, it takes a while to get good at games like these. In my experience, the best way to improve is to play, discuss, analyze, and learn. Coming here is the first step to doing that, so you're on the right track there.

When you play online, I suggest saving your replays of games where there was no lag, even those games that you lose. Watch them a couple times to see how you played, how your opponent played, how you were caught off-guard. Ask yourself these questions and try to answer them:
  • What did I do to get punished in this situation? How did my opponent move to punish me when I did this?
  • What did I do or didn't do that left me open / unprotected that let my opponent attack me?
  • Was there something I kept doing over and over that my opponent kept punishing me for?
  • What could I change in my gameplan to improve?
If you have trouble finding the answers to the above questions, I suggest checking out the character specific boards for that. You're better off asking and discussing them with fellow mains, as you'll learn about combos, how much damage each of their attacks deals, when is a specific attack useful, what they can do to punish other characters, their strengths and weaknesses against the rest of the cast, frame data, etc.

If you are having trouble against a specific character, it also pays off to learn about that character's data.

Definetely check out, read through the stickied posts, and ask questions about your character in their boards. For your convenience:

Lucario
http://smashboards.com/forums/lucario.459/

Mr. G&W
http://smashboards.com/forums/mr-game-watch.500/

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
I can't see what you doing when you play but try to refrain from rolling and instead try fox trotting. Also refrain from air-dodging as it has significant lag afterwards.

Top Bottom