• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

struggling at killing

RE-DAZ

Smash Cadet
Ike is such a good character but have some big problems, when I'm playing I tend to maintain the lead but becomes nothing when I can't easily and then I die so any tips guys for killing?

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
When players become really defensive it can get pretty difficult for ike, landing that one solid hit can be tough. Here's what you can do, build up damage by using jabs and grabs, when the percent is right down throw to get the kill, I don't remember the exact percent but I think its somewhere around 150%..it works for me, you want to take advantage of the quickest attacks Ike can dish out

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Dthrow wildly varies with rage. 180ish with no rage and 130ish at max rage (150).

Best strong kill moves are Utilt, bair, and usmash. Fair and uair also occasionally kill near the ledge and in the air. Utilt, dsmash, ftilt, and surprisingly dair are good punishers for laggy moves. Usmash takes a read for a short hop aerial or landing punish.

There's also many ways to set up strong attacks for edgeguarding if you cover their double jump and ledge snapping options.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I am fond of doing fastfall Bairs to secure the kill, usually by hopping over my opponent's head and getting them from behind - the low landing lag and the push it inflicts on shield makes it safer than other aerials on block, and since Ike's Bair is incredibly fast it frequently takes opponents by surprise.

Don't be afraid to go after opponents offstage for a Fair or Bair kill, either - getting hit by one of those out there is lethal.

Utilt has high kill potential if you can catch a rolling opponent with it, but it leaves you very exposed if it doesn't work. I don't frequently find many opportunities to punish with it due to how slow it is, but it's still an important option to remember.

Uair's long active time is great for finishing off opponents above you. Try to bait airdodges and punish them with it, and even if they slip past you, you might still be able to hit them with it by fastfalling it midswing.

Usmash is great for punishing landings after knocking them into the air - more often than not an opponent will try to airdodge it, especially if you've positioned yourself well, so charging it a moment longer to punish them almost guarantees a kill, and the lowered hitbox Ike takes to use the move also frequently messes with attempts to stop your attack.

Also? Edgeguarding with Eruption is just the best thing ever.

RE-DAZ

Smash Cadet
Actually I always try catching them with an aerial off stage, I go for the Usmash when they are recovering but always get shielded so free punish and for eruption; actually never try it cuz seems useless but maybe its just me. I'll try catching them landing with the Usmash, any views I could have some support?

Arrei

Smash Lord
For Usmash, it's all about learning your timing. You'll want to get a feel to when to go for it and when to hold it to thwart airdodges and counters, but don't hold it too long or they'll be able to successfully land and shield it.

Eruption is godly for edgeguarding because the hitbox is able to attack in all directions from Ike. An enemy recovering high is very liable to get caught in the blast if the move has been charged for a little bit, an enemy recovering horizontally can run straight into the blast if you time it well enough, and it can even hit low recoveries since Ike stabs the sword into the ground for the blast. With its high knockback, if you can pull one off your opponent is finished. Just be wary of opponents with projectiles, because they can shoot something at the ledge to interrupt your charge.

D

Deleted member 269706

Use that OoS bair. It's pretty much undetectable and will kill as low as 70-80%. Ftilt, Fair, Usmash, and a charged up Quick Draw tend to do the trick for me. Or just throw off stage, then keep them from coming back.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Bair is your friend!

USmash for people coming back from the ledge, especially if they jump from the ledge.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Bair is your friend!

USmash for people coming back from the ledge, especially if they jump from the ledge.
Yes! B-air is probably one of my favorite moves to use and can catch some people off guard.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
B-air and Up-Smash for on stage kills. I tend to kill more when I'm edge guarding, though. Mostly because of the limited options I've given my opponent there. Eruption is great for most side and low recoveries, and work against most characters from there. If they are recovering high, or have a way to get around you without trying to hurt you I usually will jump and use F-Air or use Aether (The slower windup catches a number of other players off guard when you've been using Eruption for the other approaches). Some characters it becomes hard to use Eruption against, like Fox's side-b or Little Mac's Up-B. I find Counter works well against those, especially Mac since most players have a hard time sweet spoting the recovery and go too high .(or another Ike.)

Top Bottom