• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter notations are killing me.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I figured I'd be the last person in the world to say this given all the time I've spent playing Street Fighter. But I turn flame Hadokens into Tatsus, and every time I have a proper punish with a Shoryuken, I end up dashing past the opponent. It's gotten to the point where I'm using the B notation just to ensure I get some damage

If I do an FADC, I'd like to do a high-powered Shoryuken for once without run-dashing past.

What do you recommend for having trouble with the notations?

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
You need to practice. I know it's a tad harder with the analog vs Dpad, if you're a pad warrior. You need to practice these scenarios in training mode and eventually you'll do them without thinking. There really is no trick it's just gonna be down to practice.

Actually something you could do is Negative Edge after performing a move that is special cancellable holding down the A or B button and then inputting the motion and letting go of A or B will allow you to do to the special. If you do mess up Ryu won't do any moves meaning you won't accidentally Jab,tilt, and etc. Although that probably won't help with the FA hit ust for his moves that can be cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
I got used to the commands, You just need to do it fast in the right direction, or else the system will misjudge the input and swap for another one you didn't intend to. The window in Sm4sh is huge. The only thing I wished for is to use the digital pad instead of the analog. It's so dumb not being able to choose how you want to ****ing play the game.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Actually something you could do is Negative Edge after performing a move that is special cancellable holding down the A or B button and then inputting the motion and letting go of A or B will allow you to do to the special. If you do mess up Ryu won't do any moves meaning you won't accidentally Jab,tilt, and etc. Although that probably won't help with the FA hit ust for his moves that can be cancelled.
This.

If you're in range to Shoryuken your opponent you're typically also in range to jab them.

Jab, input Shoryuken directions during jab animation, release A.

You'll get a hitconfirm Shoryuken without a chance of dash occurring.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I think the reason why Sakurai put the SF motions in the game for this character is to not only stay true to his source, but also to weed out the people who can't play him properly, much like people who can't play SF in general. Yes, this is a radically different game than Street Fighter, but having the true motions in does say that it could be played similarly. Which, I think, is the whole point of Ryu. In SF, if you f*ck up inputs, you'll make the wrong move, and that'll be your arse. Same applies here, although it's MUCH easier to screw up due to the nature of the game. With that being said, like you do in SF, you have to practice your way to perfection.

Last edited:

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
To be honest, I think the reason why Sakurai put the SF motions in the game for this character is to not only stay true to his source, but also to weed out the people who can't play him properly, much like people who can't play SF in general. Yes, this is a radically different game than Street Fighter, but having the true motions in does say that it could be played similarly. Which, I think, is the whole point of Ryu. In SF, if you f*ck up inputs, you'll make the wrong move, and that'll be your arse. Same applies here, although it's MUCH easier to screw up due to the nature of the game. With that being said, like you do in SF, you have to practice your way to perfection.
I make your words, mine. Been playing SF4 in the competitive scene since it's launch (SF4, not USF4).

The same applies here. I use fightpad to play SF4, and older titles i'm used to the classic digital pad. When I saw Ryu arriving in Sm4sh, I thought it would be unreal. It's really satisfying to hit a combo and end up with a Shoryuken.

Been training Shoryu's for a whole hour everyday, as I'm not used to the Analog stick in anyway, neither I can use the Pro-Controller as a Fightstick (tried).

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Definitely not. Sakurai himself said he wants Smash to be a game everyone can enjoy. I think your first point was correct, but the second sounds like a point for a fighting game developer to do.

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Definitely not. Sakurai himself said he wants Smash to be a game everyone can enjoy. I think your first point was correct, but the second sounds like a point for a fighting game developer to do.
smash is a game everyone can enjoy.. theres so much extra things like items and grand stages, but really tho, i'm pretty sure tons and tons of people have dropped ryu almost immediately after finding out they can't do an srk when they want, so it is weeding out people. anyone who has played mvc or sf or anything with real tight links knows that feeling of supreme joy when you land that 1 frame link to seal the game from a comeback. that might be one of the reasons i stay ryu. am i digressing? anyways TRAIN HARDER!!! :D

Last edited:

Ijuka

Smash Ace
The most annoying thing in the world for me is that the true inputs can be activated with A button as well. Many of my walking dtilts or fastfall bairs and things like that just become specials instead and it just completely ruins the character for me. How am I even supposed to fastfall -> bair as fast as possible without doing a quarter circle, anyway? It also feels extremely unnecessary - you could do every skill just fine even if they could only be done with B. I wish they would hotfix this, until then I'm dropping Ryu.

This.

If you're in range to Shoryuken your opponent you're typically also in range to jab them.

Jab, input Shoryuken directions during jab animation, release A.

You'll get a hitconfirm Shoryuken without a chance of dash occurring.
Can you get the stronger, held down version like that? If not, it's worthless.

Last edited:

Ijuka

Smash Ace
That would defeat the purpose of negative edge if they took out a specials
I wouldn't mind if you could only do them with A with negative edge. That wouldn't ruin trying to do basic attacks during normal gameplay.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The most annoying thing in the world for me is that the true inputs can be activated with A button as well. Many of my walking dtilts or fastfall bairs and things like that just become specials instead and it just completely ruins the character for me. How am I even supposed to fastfall -> bair as fast as possible without doing a quarter circle, anyway? It also feels extremely unnecessary - you could do every skill just fine even if they could only be done with B. I wish they would hotfix this, until then I'm dropping Ryu.
Use the C-stick for aerials. C-stick doesn't take into account SF motions.

I hope they don't "fix" it tbh because I find it to be an intuitive mechanic and very useful.

Nocx

Smash Rookie
One thing I noticed my buddy doing when trying to teach him command DPs in combos was he was hitting the stick all the way to the edge for command inputs. This is a big no no when using an arcade stick in Street Fighter, and it's no different in Smash. Rubbing or hitting your stick to the edge for commands adds to your response/input time. Once I mentioned that to him, he had less problems.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
One thing I noticed my buddy doing when trying to teach him command DPs in combos was he was hitting the stick all the way to the edge for command inputs. This is a big no no when using an arcade stick in Street Fighter, and it's no different in Smash. Rubbing or hitting your stick to the edge for commands adds to your response/input time. Once I mentioned that to him, he had less problems.
Thanks for the tip--I've totally been doing that lol

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Do you mean riding the stick to the very edge? Because I do that and have little to no problems with inputs o_o

I also have a square gate instead of an octagon, so it's easier to not overshoot the inputs.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Can you elaborate?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

Can you get the stronger, held down version like that? If not, it's worthless.
I actually prefer specials to be input with A. In fact, I don't use B anymore in my game. As they have told before, use cstick for aerials. However, what I'll tell you is to change your cstick to an a-stick (map attack to cstick). This way not only will touch be able to do aerials without canceling your momentum but you'll also be able to perform tapped tilts more easily without worrying about a special coming out.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
You need to practice. I know it's a tad harder with the analog vs Dpad, if you're a pad warrior. You need to practice these scenarios in training mode and eventually you'll do them without thinking. There really is no trick it's just gonna be down to practice.

Also worth noting that negative edge DP only works for up and d-tilt. Jab wont work because holding jab gives you the kick.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Also worth noting that negative edge DP only works for up and d-tilt. Jab wont work because holding jab gives you the kick.
Even for dtilt it's questionable, or at least on ver low percents, since Hdtilt has too much knockback to combo into a negative edge SRK iirc.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
The only thing I wished for is to use the digital pad instead of the analog. It's so dumb not being able to choose how you want to ****ing play the game.
to be fair, the reason for this is that there are analog inputs that would be impossible: variable walk speeds, angles on tons of up+Bs, angled tilt attacks, shield angling, etc.

so it's not the same as just any old custom-control preference. having digital directional inputs would literally take away a bunch of actions that the game is designed to support.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
That's why you hit down first.
Yeah Ive seen some really good Ryus do that. Spotdoging and buffer a shoryuken. Having that done to you means you need to respect the hell out their spotdodges or roll away.

Yeah should have pointed that out. Although I only ever use Weak Utilt or Weak Dtilt over punch.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
I personally only have problems reliably Shoryuken-ing with the original input command. I can Hadoken and Tatsumaki Senpukyaku quite reliably, and though the red one I forget the name of is a little less reliable, it's still very much so.

Also, I have never played a Street Fighter game in my life.
Kinda hard to do when you're stuck with a 3DS.

To elaborate, it's not that I CAN'T use the stronger Shoryuken, but more that I have trouble reliably using it at opportune times. I have times when I move in to KO my foe and I NEED to use the special input Shoryuken for its greater strength, but I end up just Heavy-Sidetilt attacking instead. Then I try again, and again, and when I DO use the Shoryuken, it misses entirely. At this point I'm pretty much every so often attempting the special input and more often using the simple B-Up command instead.

Also, accidental Meteor Smash for the win.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
I personally only have problems reliably Shoryuken-ing with the original input command. I can Hadoken and Tatsumaki Senpukyaku quite reliably, and though the red one I forget the name of is a little less reliable, it's still very much so.

Also, I have never played a Street Fighter game in my life.

Kinda hard to do when you're stuck with a 3DS.

To elaborate, it's not that I CAN'T use the stronger Shoryuken, but more that I have trouble reliably using it at opportune times. I have times when I move in to KO my foe and I NEED to use the special input Shoryuken for its greater strength, but I end up just Heavy-Sidetilt attacking instead. Then I try again, and again, and when I DO use the Shoryuken, it misses entirely. At this point I'm pretty much every so often attempting the special input and more often using the simple B-Up command instead.

Also, accidental Meteor Smash for the win.
Thats just the hardware holding you back it sucks but the true SRK KO's 20% earlier in most cases. You could try buffering it during certain animations. I dont know how much that will help you.

Top Bottom