• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV 3D Rant

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I want to clarify, when I talk about the Street Fighter Community, I refer to the absolute worst it has to offer, yeah, the guys who on Gamefaqs and only say 'git gud nub' to anyone who has reasonable complaints about the game being too hard. I know there are some good people there who have played Street Fighter their whole lives and maybe are a little naive or can't notice when the game's screwing them over because they've endured the horrors of the previous SF games and have taken bad game design and an engine that refuses to be played as something good.

So I was looking at the 3DS Nintendo eShop yesterday to purchase Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright, and I saw Capcom had a sale going up due to the game's release, so I naturally checked it out and spotted Street Fighter IV for 8.99USD, I had purchased SFIV for the PS3 a few years ago and absolutely, positively hated the ****ing thing...

But recently I've been playing Mortal Kombat 9, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta. Games that are somewhat technical, but well-designed so they don't become frustrating. So I decided to give this crappy game another chance on the 3DS, maybe a portable fighter would make practicing much easier? I wanted to give it a chance...

But I was wrong, you see, Street Fighter's like a well-laid trap, it lures you and entices you with amazing character designs, catchy music and combos that look flashy on-screen, but then you're met with the real thing, a 1.000 feet brick wall that prevents you from playing the game, the game not only has an annoying, multi-directional system to actually execute the game's special moves, but it also has perfect-timing precision bull**** and cheap AI that doesn't have the limitations of having actual fingers with actual mechanical restrictions.

SFIV's a perfect example of a game series that refuses to evolve and become better, mostly thanks to the fanbase, who actually complains when the game becomes easier (Marginally) and actually insults those who complain about the game simply being too hard for any normal person to grasp it without years of practice.

The thing...I feel scammed out of my money, I could've bought an actually-good game like Resident Evil Revelations or even a fighting game with some thought put into it like Skullgirls, but no, SFIV has fooled me again...I lost 8.00USD to a game that's nothing short of despicable, terrible, tryhard, disgustingly and unnecessarily complex and downright bad.

The worst part's that I try to like this game, I try to think about practicing and getting the commands right, but then there's things like the Shoryuken Z-shaped command that downright refuses to work when I want it to, or the 1-frame window of combos, things that remind me that this game SUCKS and will continue to do so as long as the developers of future Street Fighter keep listening to the etilist, hateful and new-player-hating community.

Rant over, I still want my 8.00 dollars back, though, 50 cents for this game would be too much. It's basically a character art viewer with something vaguely resembling a game.

I'll admit defeat when someone can tell me exactly how do you do the Z-shaped command, EXACTLY, not 'you kinda brush your finger over here like this and quickly twitch in this general direction, I can do it all the time'. Chances are you won't be able to because the command itself doesn't make sense in relation to the time you have to input it, there's no way to punch the right combination without running out of time.

Last edited:

FalconBrofist

Smash Cadet
I feel Street fighter is more aimed at a competitive community, wouldnt really recommend it to anyone that isnt interested in getting to a competitive level

honestly with USFIV out, its not worth buying sfiv on 3ds anymore.

Z shaped commands? youre talking about shoryuken and the like right? the command is f,d,df

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Street Fighter is amazing and have been a fan since the very first one. They have a great formula that has been perfected over the years to the point that I feel it is the best representation to what a classical fighting game should be. And yes, the community isn't the best but the Smash Bros. community has it fair share of cynical elitists and "git gud nub" 'ists. My friend, who happens to work in the video gaming/movie industry, prefers Street Fighter for the more intuitive/competitively driven focus of the game as opposed to Smash Bros. in which he considers it a party/fighting game hybrid. And I sort of agree with him. If you want a competitively driven fighting game that continues to build on itself, play Street Fighter. But if you aren't into that type of fighting game, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment and you should probably ask yourself if you should be spending the time to learn it. Personally, I am not the best at it but I love the franchise and formula it has created. I disagree that the game did not evolve. It has evolved greatly over the years but it isn't the evolution that you want to see, Di-dara. It isn't as drastic as other games but it is a more subtle evolution that core Street Fighter fans can easily pick up. I do agree though it has a high learning curve that might turn off newer players who don't have the time or interest to learn the meta game (hence why you made this thread). When my friends and I take our Street Fighter and play it, we always lose the my aforementioned friend because he actually took the time to study the game and get good at it thus causing my friends to rage quit on it.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
You...hate Street Fighter 4...?

I FINALLY FOUND SOMEONE ELSE WHO HATES THIS ****TY, OVERRATED GAME!!!

Twewy

Smash Lord
To be honest, your rant sounds like you're just bad at the game.

Remember when you were a little kid, and couldn't do a cursive z? You kept practicing until you got it right, and you got that good grade. You didn't just yell to the rest of the class that "THIS Z IS SO HARD WHY IS THE CURSIVE SERIES SO ****TY".

Do you know why players like Daigo and Justin Wong are on the top? Because they practiced.

Do you know why people win medals in the Olympic Games? Because they practiced.

Do you know why Wizzrobe dominated Project M? Because he practiced.

Practice makes perfect, and the only thing mentioned in your rant is "wah wah the game isn't easy enough for me to get into". That's why they have a Practice menu, that's why they have trials for each and every character, and that's why they have different difficulties; so you can work your way up until you feel you are "good" at the game. SSFIV3D is not badly designed at all, the SF4 sub-series of Street Fighter is not badly designed, it is your own damn fault you can't do a Shoryuken.

I won't say the Street Fighter series is perfect, hell, no game is perfect. But all your problems can be traced to "I'm bad at this game and I'm going to complain about me being bad at the game." For all you know, this may not be your kind of game.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
git gud

No, seriously. They added the touch screen buttons for people like you that can't, for whatever reason, do the motions.

Chances are you won't be able to because the command itself doesn't make sense in relation to the time you have to input it, there's no way to punch the right combination without running out of time.
I want you to try to play a charge character.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
See, I hate this kind of fighting game too, but I don't complain about it because it's not aimed at me.

I like hard games, but I don't like games were the difficulty comes from the controls. Sure, I can do these imputs because of Megaman Zero's ultimate mode, namely double hadoken, but it's not engaging in the slightest. My favorite genre is platforming, so I want my imputs to make sense. If I'm pressing yyyblr then it should be because I'm shooting, jumping, airdashing then shocking, not some single, arbitrary move. I don't care how deep the mechanics are if they're buried in arbitrary imputs.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Just popped in to say that complaints like this is why the rest of the FGC thought Smash was a joke for a decade, don't ruin things again.

Down, right, then a. Not much harder than down plus b.

Top Bottom