• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Streaming AV Quality Help

DELICIOUS

Smash Rookie
NNID
YummYDelicious0
Not sure if this is the place to post this or not but wasn't sure where to go.

Regardless.

I stream local tournaments whenever I get the chance to. I use an Elgato Game Capture HD and typically stream Melee, PM and Smash 4.

Since I do commentary I use a splitter so that I can split the source from the Wii/Wii U to the Capture card, Main tv and Commentators TV using a RCA Splitter.

-------------------------------------------------------------/ cable > main tv
So signal flow is Wii > Cable > splitter > cable > commentator tv
-------------------------------------------------------------\ cable > Capture Card > usb cable > laptop usb port

This however degrades the video quality
(sample of how it looks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KQpT8lO-A8 ) I know game audio is offsync

Melee could be better but it's acceptable, but PM and Smash 4 look awful.

For Smash 4 I will be getting a HDMI splitter so that i can split them between the 3 outputs (Main tv, commentator tv and capture card). Then probably a HDMI to component or composite adaptor for commentator tv since high quality isnt needed there. Main tv is HDMI so no issue there.

My problem lies with Melee and PM.
How could I improve my video quality in stream/main tv without introducing lag?

I know if I use Component connections/splitter (my Wii uses standard composite) it will cause lag.

Only thing i can think of is using a capture card that has lagless through and through (like how the HDMI works in the Elgato) so that the stream gets it in high quality, and then split the output to the 2 Tvs. I know those are more expenisve and EXTREMELY hardware specific.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom