• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strats VS projectile spammers?

OnionO'Peace

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfinteAlchemy
3DS FC
3926-5917-6773
I know that Greninja can kinda do this himself, but not to the level of some chars like Mega Man or Link. I'm finding it almost impossible to break past a constant onslaught of blades and arrows without just mashing B and not getting grabbed. I can dodge through most of their projectiles if I'm quick, but legit all they do is bthrow me and dash away to do the SAME godamn thing! Any tips on beating this effectively???

alightbulb

Banned via Warnings
use your speed to out maneuver them and only strike when you see an opening, be cautious and learn your opponents patterns

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
You can short hop over a lot of projectiles. That lets you follow up with a NAir or FAir. Other than that, just block. If they are charging up you can try using Shadow Sneak to punish them. If they are close enough to you you might be able to land a Substitue.

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
Tomahawking works very well, I think. Greninjas high jump dodges projectiles and frightens enemies into shielding. Fastfall into grab and boom, profit. People like link may do some sort of attack to get you on your way down from the tomahawk, though, so space appropriately.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Dealing with projectiles is a competitive entry barrier in smash. It's an essential skill to succeed.

The most important thing is to respect what your opponent is doing. If you get flustered thinking, "Ugh this spammer is friggin doing the same thing over and over and over!" you're going to make rash decisions and take chip damage that you didn't need to take. Just relax.

Now, how do you actually deal with it?

You walk.

That's right. Walk.

Not run. Not dash. Not jump. Walk.

The reason I'm telling you to walk is that walking leaves all your options open to you. While you're running or jumping or dashing, you can only do so many things--you can't perform tilts, or smashes, or spotdodges, or whatever. But while you're walking you can pause anywhere, any time, and do anything, and that's intimidating for your opponent.

As you walk, powershield the projectiles on reaction and gain ground. When you get close to your opponent, you have to start being aware of rolls, grabs, and jabs that will try to get you away again. If your opponent continues to fire projectiles at close range, you have an easy punish, but otherwise, just stay calm and try to learn your opponent's panic patterns. But at this point, at least the projectile part is done. It gets neutralized by your walking spacing.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Keep in mind Greninja's substitue is perfect for mid-range projectiles as it'll teleport you to your foe. If you're too far, then you'll perform the counter on the projectile's location - which is good if you use the UP version of substitute, as you'll fly into the air.

Outlined in this guide:

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
When short hopping projectiles on the approach, keep in mind that Greninja's nair can swat through many projectiles when timed correctly. Mario fireballs, metal blades, I've even large aura spheres get completely beat out by the nair without even slowing Greninja at all.

I should do some formal testing on this because it appears that the bubble has a brief period of ridiculous priority or something. It's really useful in these kinds of matchups.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Dealing with projectiles is a competitive entry barrier in smash. It's an essential skill to succeed.

The most important thing is to respect what your opponent is doing. If you get flustered thinking, "Ugh this spammer is friggin doing the same thing over and over and over!" you're going to make rash decisions and take chip damage that you didn't need to take. Just relax.

Now, how do you actually deal with it?

You walk.

That's right. Walk.

Not run. Not dash. Not jump. Walk.

The reason I'm telling you to walk is that walking leaves all your options open to you. While you're running or jumping or dashing, you can only do so many things--you can't perform tilts, or smashes, or spotdodges, or whatever. But while you're walking you can pause anywhere, any time, and do anything, and that's intimidating for your opponent.

As you walk, powershield the projectiles on reaction and gain ground. When you get close to your opponent, you have to start being aware of rolls, grabs, and jabs that will try to get you away again. If your opponent continues to fire projectiles at close range, you have an easy punish, but otherwise, just stay calm and try to learn your opponent's panic patterns. But at this point, at least the projectile part is done. It gets neutralized by your walking spacing.
this guy

Firstly;

http://smashboards.com/threads/water-shuriken-projectile-priority.376156/

^Learn what UWS clanks with (or flat out beats) and everything FWS beats. This should be something vital for Greninja players to learn as it is very useful.

Secondly;

Learn how to power shield.

Thirdly;

Learn how to use your mobility as Greninja to weave through projectile

Fourthly;

http://smashboards.com/threads/inch...nja-can-dodge-when-ducking-incomplete.377225/

^Learn what projectiles can be ducked under.
and this guy knows what they're talking about.

Top Bottom