• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Strategy

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
XDaDePsak submitted a new guide:

Ike's Eruption - A Visual Guide

What is eruption:

"Eruption (噴火, Eruption) is Ike's neutral special move. Ike lifts his sword, Ragnell, and then plunges it downward in front of him which explodes in a burst of flames. It can be charged for up to 5 seconds, causing the fire to greatly increase its range and knockback. The knockback caused by this move is mostly vertical when not charged fully and becomes more...
Read more about this guide...

Arrei

Smash Lord
Not bad, but whoa, a lot of those were "YOLO, sit there and charge it and hope they're dumb enough to run into it". If you're making a guide to teach would-be Ikes, you should NOT be telling them to throw out random Eruptions. That's just going to turn them into combo food against anyone who actually knows what they're doing.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The edgeguards with it were legit, but you summed it up well in that it's not good for much else outside of For Glory.

Smart players will know how huge the hitbox on Eruption is and not even bother trying to challenge it.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The edgeguards with it were legit, but you summed it up well in that it's not good for much else outside of For Glory.

Smart players will know how huge the hitbox on Eruption is and not even bother trying to challenge it.
Eruption is waaaay worse on For Glory lag. It's considerably harder to time consistently when there's latency.

It's mad viable and good for edgeguards though. Eruption edgeguard alone swings the Falcon matchup to Ike's favor given Falcon literally just doesn't have the tools to really get around side throw -> Eruption if you have half decent reaction time.

There's a few situations where it's also pretty viable for covering landings, though typically you would want to use U-smash in most of those.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Funny video. Only two common things missing:

1. It's wise to jump/double jump before timing the eruption, especially if your opponent is recovering a bit high.
2. If you're hanging from the ledge, you can perform a jump and a b-reversed eruption will position you perfectly for an edgeguard.

The second is a bit technical, but are very useful to avoid common counterstrategies.

I'd still never use eruption onstage, but at least this shows that it can kill greedy opponents at least, lol.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I've integrated eruption into my gameplay somewhat, mostly for surprise kills with a b-reverse, though I am curious what is the earliest you could kill with the darn thing, never bothered testing since I don't use Ike as much as Roy and Marth.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not bad, but whoa, a lot of those were "YOLO, sit there and charge it and hope they're dumb enough to run into it". If you're making a guide to teach would-be Ikes, you should NOT be telling them to throw out random Eruptions. That's just going to turn them into combo food against anyone who actually knows what they're doing.
The full guide (the written part) does go into that...

Who to use eruption against:
Competitively, you should only use it very sparingly, and almost exclusively for edge guarding. If you try to use it to bait skilled players, they are probably going to be patient enough to wait it out and punish you at the appropriate time. Though you may still be able to bait the cocky or impatient ones among them.

However, if you're playing against less skilled players (for example, the majority of the people you will encounter in Online For Glory 1v1, then feel free to abuse the hell out of it for fun. The stakes and risks are low, yet success rates are high. Abuse eruption not because it's proper tech, but because it's glorious.​

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've integrated eruption into my gameplay somewhat, mostly for surprise kills with a b-reverse, though I am curious what is the earliest you could kill with the darn thing, never bothered testing since I don't use Ike as much as Roy and Marth.
Generally speaking Eruption edgeguard is a serious problem for most characters as early as 50% assuming you charge it up to like 17-20 damage, which is pretty feasible in situations where you have time to observe your opponent's recovery path. If you send your opponent far away enough from the stage where they have to use their jump and Up-B to get back, a well timed Eruption probably would kill them.

Uncharged Eruption doesn't really kill though.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Funny video. Only two common things missing:

1. It's wise to jump/double jump before timing the eruption, especially if your opponent is recovering a bit high.
2. If you're hanging from the ledge, you can perform a jump and a b-reversed eruption will position you perfectly for an edgeguard.

The second is a bit technical, but are very useful to avoid common counterstrategies.

I'd still never use eruption onstage, but at least this shows that it can kill greedy opponents at least, lol.
Can you make a video of #2. Sounds awesome, but I'd like to see it in action to save me some time trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Implying anyone knows what they're doing on For Glory 1v1

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Can you make a video of #2. Sounds awesome, but I'd like to see it in action to save me some time trying to figure it out.
It's easier to explain in words, especially if you're not familiar with B-reversing.

Basically:

• Hang on the ledge
  • Press Jump
  • In this order, press B then tap the control stick towards offstage right afterwards. (B->left or right)
Ike will turn around and slightly position himself towards the edge of the stage as eruption charges.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Generally speaking Eruption edgeguard is a serious problem for most characters as early as 50% assuming you charge it up to like 17-20 damage, which is pretty feasible in situations where you have time to observe your opponent's recovery path. If you send your opponent far away enough from the stage where they have to use their jump and Up-B to get back, a well timed Eruption probably would kill them.

Uncharged Eruption doesn't really kill though.
Nah it does, but with rage. I did it in a tournament while I was fooling around with pre-patch Ike on a less experienced player. Problem is I don't know how early, it could be somewhat useful if it kills early so that you don't just have to rely on tilts and smash attacks, which you can't do much with them involving momentum outside of perfect pivots. Though it was b-reversed in the air so I did get maybe a second or two of charge time.

Last edited:

NerfAkira

Smash Rookie
eruption is easily the most underrated neutral b skill in the game, it has tons of amazing uses, and this video does absolutely nothing to show them off.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
oh yeah I forgot... you can use eruption to file your taxes and walk your dog.

how could i forget

NerfAkira

Smash Rookie
you can use eruption to edge guard, bverse into a startling KO capable move (only one of its kind beyond Z suit, as marths/luc/roy dont compare in effectiveness, and giant punch comes out too early) you can also slide into a neutral B if you have gotten them into the dodge mind game for grabs, leading to a solid 11-13 damage hit. along with fake outs due to the fact eruption can hit a little bit behind you.

most amazingly though, this is one of the most obnoxious to deal with off stage moves, as you can pretty much full jump into charging it, and force them into terrible, terrible situations.

the only bad use of eruption really is sitting their stationary and hoping they are stupid.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I have to agree with @ Arrei Arrei . Some of those were just against players making very poor decisions. Strong tech and baiting recoveries is the direction you want to take this.

NerfAkira

Smash Rookie
So can we agree that the spike it has on standing opponents is pretty much just cosmetic?
i have never been able to pull it off no matter how much i've tried in training mode on bots (jumping)

i have only ever managed to get it on grounded targets, so either it doesn't work or it requires like frame perfect timing. be really cool to see something like that come out in a tournament,

Arrei

Smash Lord
It does have the very unwieldy and likely unintended side effect of what we believe is being able to spike opponents who are recovering while touching the stage. JancroFin's Vine is the only recorded instance I've seen of it happening, but I was able to pull it off once. Landed a partially charged Eruption and they went straight down instead of up.

In related topics, standing as far as out as you can with Eruption against someone hugging a sloped ledge as they recover might lead to them getting hit with the "back" of the hitbox instead, sending them flying into the stage for an immediate and untechable stage spike. That might lead to an earlier kill than Eruption would normally allow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom