• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Strategy Help] Long Range/Weaponry.

Ereki

Smash Cadet
Alright, so. I realize Sonic is at a disadvantage with some characters, granted, his speed makes up for it.

However, I'm having difficulty fighting some of my friends. Their main characters are really annoying, and I really have no approach besides dodge and hope for the best. That..doesn't really work any more.

What I'm asking for, is any strategy on how to fight smart against fighters with Swords [Marth/Link/Toon Link/Pit [Ike excluded]], and those whose strategy relies on zoning/projectiles. [Olimar/Link/Toon Link/Snake]

Especially with the I-Con tournament tomorrow, any tips would be appreciated.

Teben

Smash Apprentice
Sonic's homing attack is outstanding for catching opponents out of rythm while getting compulsive with projectiles and rolls, so try and toss a few of those in occasionally at awkward moments when you know your opponent will act impulsively to avoid a quicker attack or something like that. Often times this will simply clear projectiles and knock your opponent off the stage at moderate percentages, letting you start your pursuit or edgeguarding strategies.

Against Olimar however....well, good luck. As far as I can tell, there's absolutely NOTHING Sonic can do against him except be EXTREMELY careful and be grateful for any and every hit you can land. They'll be rare. You'll have to play a bit of a waiting game and look for opportunities to get a hit in while the Olimar player is in frame disadvantage from whiffing an attack or something. Try to play a game of hit and run with him, keeping a VERY safe distance when Olimar isn't exposed.

Sonic's forward-B is a decent attack against Olimar because it will occasionally eat through his pikmin while approaching. Try and use it close enough so that Sonic connects on the initial forward bounce and jump cancel right as it connects, following up with an Uair. From there, begin your Uair game and attempt to get a vertical kill on Olimar while being wary of his Dair.

That's probably your best strategy...and it ain't much of one =\ Good luck, as far as I can tell Olimar is the ultimate Sonic counter.

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, it is VERY important that you pursue Olimar off the stage. Granted it's dangerous because Olimar can outprioritize Sonic with many of his aerials, but Olimar's most prominent weakness is his recovery. Try to knock him off the stagee with a lucky homing attack or something and bump him out as far as you can with your Fair if you ever see the opportunity.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Kill Olimar's pikmin with nair. Just nair like there's no tomorrow and when he's pulling go for a bair or something fast.

Projectile spammers are easy enough to deal with provided they haven't found some ideal camping spot that blocks your approaches. I'm particularly fond of faking a side-b and spin shotting over their projectiles and either fair or dair-ing my enemy.

Sword people are a case to case thing. Sometimes your attacks will out prioritize and even out-range, and other times you'll have to find different openings. I think the main thing that stays consistent is the single hit properties that many sword people have. This should generally allow for shield grabbing, and Sonic's grab game is great. I guess there are people like Pit and Metaknight that go against that but those two are so ridiculously easy to gimp that you shouldn't ccare.

Teben

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, a lot of sword characters can strike you from far enough away to avoid shield grabbing. Getting a toss in whenever you get the chance to is a great way to set up opportunities for Sonic, but I'd definitely be careful going for shield grabs against people like link or marth, you might simply whiff your grab. In that case, maybe try going for a double stutter step fsmash when they're at disadvantage from hitting your shield. Sonic can cover an impressive distance with that thing, so don't forget about it.

Khaoz

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, a lot of sword characters can strike you from far enough away to avoid shield grabbing. Getting a toss in whenever you get the chance to is a great way to set up opportunities for Sonic, but I'd definitely be careful going for shield grabs against people like link or marth, you might simply whiff your grab. In that case, maybe try going for a double stutter step fsmash when they're at disadvantage from hitting your shield. Sonic can cover an impressive distance with that thing, so don't forget about it.

yeah i find toon link nearly impossible to shield grab...

Ereki

Smash Cadet
Kill Olimar's pikmin with nair. Just nair like there's no tomorrow and when he's pulling go for a bair or something fast.

Projectile spammers are easy enough to deal with provided they haven't found some ideal camping spot that blocks your approaches. I'm particularly fond of faking a side-b and spin shotting over their projectiles and either fair or dair-ing my enemy.

Sword people are a case to case thing. Sometimes your attacks will out prioritize and even out-range, and other times you'll have to find different openings. I think the main thing that stays consistent is the single hit properties that many sword people have. This should generally allow for shield grabbing, and Sonic's grab game is great. I guess there are people like Pit and Metaknight that go against that but those two are so ridiculously easy to gimp that you shouldn't ccare.
Thanks for the information. It helped immensely when I was up against Marth, Toon Link, and Olimar.

Side-B Fakeout is now probably my favorite addition to my game, and Side-B fakeout-to-Throw BnB [ [pray for no DI] ] D > 100%; Up-Throw - Spring - B-Air] is probably the best thing I got right now. xP Thanks.

Top Bottom