• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategizing against a Fox player

Barry BlaZe

Smash Cadet
Hi fellow falcos!
I've been studying a specific fox player in my region and have more or less identified his major habits. I am trying to strategize specifically against his style and wanted to get some other perspectives from other falco players.

Here are the habits I've identified :
- When he is on the ledge he likes to opt for ledgedrop insta jump side b
- Likes to go to top platform inbetween stocks
- Very good at full hopping over falco approaches and falling on falco
- full hop approaching in nuetral (Hes so good at falling on me especially with bair)
- always full hops out of non-frame perfect double shines
- likes to commit to full hop oos

I have a hard time with his slow pace full hop style as falco. My current ideas are to try to be more defensive and stop him from falling on me so much with more AC bair and uptilt. He also has good smash DI and makes comboing him off of shine harder.

Last edited:

duckypotato

Smash Rookie
My main practice partner plays almost exactly like that so I'll cover what I do against him.

1) your full hop is bigger, meaning you can fall on him with a dair if he tries to fullhop you. Work on full hopping over his jumps.

2) if you know he likes to jump out of your pressure, work in jabs on shield. WhIle they aren't safe, if your opponent likes to jump jabs and lasers will force him back to the ground to get hit

3) if he does side b from ledge a lot, keep out constant hitboxes to punish him. Do a sh non fastfall dair. If you still can't hit him, shield the attempt and punish the massive recovery time on side b

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Depending on how quickly he does Illusion from the ledge, attacking it might not be a good idea, because the hitbox on aerial illusion is transcendent, and Fox can travel a good distance intangible when he does it from the ledge.

You can shield it and WD oos or attack oos directly if he ends up close enough, you can spot-dodge or roll in its direction and not have to worry about out of shield options being done quickly.

Top platform can be hard, to follow properly, but if you have a good idea of where he's going, you can just go up there too and wait so that he has to go somewhere else, or you can directly intercept his jumps.

If he's full hopping over Falco, watch where he's projected to land and just move out of the way of the landing. Pay attention to when he's doing this and try not to be doing an attack when he's started.

If you're having trouble comboing him for percent, just go for short combos for position, or just start grabbing and throwing for position, or poking and walling to create space.

TheGood

Smash Rookie
- When he is on the ledge he likes to opt for ledgedrop insta jump side b

From the ledge, fox has a lot of invincible options through ledgedash. Don´t bother fighting an invincible enemy, either keep your distance and shffl lazer or space AC bairs. Both options will fix your problem.

- Very good at full hopping over falco approaches and falling on falco
- full hop approaching in nuetral (Hes so good at falling on me especially with bair)
- always full hops out of non-frame perfect double shines
- likes to commit to full hop oos

Contrary to popular Fox vs Falco beliefe , fox´ full hop is actually **** in neutral. If you find yourself getting full hoped on while approaching, your approach has been red and was to predictable. There is nothing you can inherently do against this, but change up your approaches, timings and moves you use against fox. If you use one more lazer, dash dance a bit or use wavedashes you could even bait out this read or even use CC against his Nair or light shild his drill. Full hop is a hard read in neutral and very committal for fox and accomplishes very little, so be thankful he chose to punish like this. If you get full hop jumped on as an approach you may need to reconsider what options you use against fox in neutral. Normally, you either want to be running around spacing lazers to keep your intentions as vague as possible and the pressure allways on or use your ac bairs/uptilts (which work wonderfull against full hop fox) to space out his approach.

Top Bottom