• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategies for Obtaining Key for Z-Dropping on each stage needed.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Hi guys. I need some help coming up with strategies and techniques for getting the KEY for Z-Dropping on each competitive stage.

The only one I can do 90% is on FD.. with the bair/key throw/fair technique. But this doesnt seem to work on Battlefield or Smashville... any help would be great.. Gonna keep a list here of strategies for each stage.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Hi guys. I need some help coming up with strategies and techniques for getting the KEY for Z-Dropping on each competitive stage.

The only one I can do 90% is on FD.. with the bair/key throw/fair technique. But this doesnt seem to work on Battlefield or Smashville... any help would be great.. Gonna keep a list here of strategies for each stage.
For Battlefield, I found that Air dodge works timing wise for me for catching it.

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
I've been watching Pac-Man threads from the shadows for sometime now. I saw Abadango on Rush Hour Smash's stream today and he was able to get the key, throw it against the wall on Halberd, then pick it up for Z-Dropping no problem.
I just tested that this works for Delfino Plaza too! If you didn't know then now you do.

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
T&C/SV are pretty lame when it comes to grabbing keys, the seemingly best part of the edge of the stage to hit it would be the very tip of the ledge(where you would grab onto)

Ive tried probably a million different setups for this stupid stage, from jumping off a hydrant for better positioning to charging fruit while jumping offstage...nothing so far. :p Fair->hydrant offstage works to hit that sweetspot but you end up too close to the stage to grab the key thanks to hydrant canceling your air momentum. I think the best we might have on this stage is just jumping offstage and aiming for the ledge :/

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Ugh. Almost not worth the chance of missing the actual hit.

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
T&C/SV are pretty lame when it comes to grabbing keys, the seemingly best part of the edge of the stage to hit it would be the very tip of the ledge(where you would grab onto)

Ive tried probably a million different setups for this stupid stage, from jumping off a hydrant for better positioning to charging fruit while jumping offstage...nothing so far. :p Fair->hydrant offstage works to hit that sweetspot but you end up too close to the stage to grab the key thanks to hydrant canceling your air momentum. I think the best we might have on this stage is just jumping offstage and aiming for the ledge :/
Not gonna lie to you. Its more trouble than its worth. That same technique with the melon is much much better. I think getting the key "safely" requires real walls instead of tossing at ledges that you can mess up on, but that's just me

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Ok so I was in the lab:3 testing how to get bonus fruit: so the timing is strict but if you throw a bonus fruit right on the edge, it will turn to item form.
Cherry: turns to item form
Strawberry: turns to item form
Orange: --still testing--
Apple: (timing is more strict) turns to item form/ 1 bounce then turns to item form
Melon: --still testing--
Galatica: does a full loop then turns to item form once it touches the ground NOTE: may/may not touch the ground the second time depending on whether it goes up, down, etc
Bell: --still testing--
Key: turns to item form (memory is hazy)

Have fun! ~,~

Last edited:

CMRaptor

Smash Rookie
NNID
cmeinhardt
If this thread is still relevant, an easy way to get the key in hand on BF is to be hanging on the left ledge, then drop down throw the key at the bottom indentation thing then just jump forward and fair.You don't have to move forward or back before the throw just jump forward after you throw the key. It's the easiest method on that stage imo

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The SmashLab recently came out with a video tutorial for this, which I'll embed here for all future reference. It's pretty comprehensive.

The only stages that are continuing to give me trouble at this point are Smashville, Town & City, and sometimes Final Destination-shaped omega stages (and FD itself of course).

Kira~

Smash Cadet
NNID
JiveJay
I've actually been able to get the key to hit the ledge consistently by short hop uairing off the stage and throwing the key. The timing is still pretty tight, but the uair gives you a good idea on when to throw the key.

Top Bottom