• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategies against Yoshi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosalina _88

Smash Rookie
I realize there is another thread concerning this exact topic, and that Yoshi was discussed already, but I wanted to give Yoshi his own topic because I feel like he's such a great counter to Rosalina. I know I'm not alone on this, either.

I just played another person online that I was winning consistently against, but once he (or she) switched to Yoshi, his playstyle changed completely as well. It was almost like he handed the controller off to someone else, haha. We played two matches, and he creamed me the first time. The second match was much closer, but he got me in the air with Yoshi's Down + B.

I don't want to analyze the match-up between Rosie and Yoshi, as that has already been done. However, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to deal with Yoshi, particularly Yoshis that are constantly serving up breakfast? I struggle more against Yoshi than any other character, save perhaps Sheik.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Be evasive and don't sit on your shield for too long, his eggs have some cool down so a well time dash atk or up air can give him a lot of trouble because yoshi struggles to juggles like Rosalina

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Anticipate Yoshi recovering high and try to attack him off stage. Most Yoshis don't like to recover low. But be weary of his fair, that can spike. Bait his air dodge and punish. Up tilt, I believe is a good anti air against Yoshi.

Another trick that rarely comes in handy is grabbing him while you are on the edge and he is hanging off the stage. Do not throw him, just pummel until grab release. If Yoshi has used his second jump, this technique will not give it back. He will fall to his death. Fun to do and fun to watch.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can't say anything in depth right now, but I don't think he's a great counter to her, and I main him. I would say it's the other way around, assuming it's a local setting.

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
I realize there is another thread concerning this exact topic, and that Yoshi was discussed already, but I wanted to give Yoshi his own topic because I feel like he's such a great counter to Rosalina. I know I'm not alone on this, either.

I just played another person online that I was winning consistently against, but once he (or she) switched to Yoshi, his playstyle changed completely as well. It was almost like he handed the controller off to someone else, haha. We played two matches, and he creamed me the first time. The second match was much closer, but he got me in the air with Yoshi's Down + B.

I don't want to analyze the match-up between Rosie and Yoshi, as that has already been done. However, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to deal with Yoshi, particularly Yoshis that are constantly serving up breakfast? I struggle more against Yoshi than any other character, save perhaps Sheik.
Be evasive, but don't roll that much either as this will result on him reading rolls then down b (ing?) you. Use shields and be careful of his B (Egg Lay) since it can hold you. If they decide to be grabby spotdodge or jump or roll behind him. His grab has ending lag. If he spams Up B (Egg Throw) however walk forward with shield as this will scare him and force him to do something else. Time your shields. Also avoid using Down B as this has lag too and he can punish you with a smash attack (Trust me. His smash attacks are no joke.) Hmmm... Yes and also predict him. It may be hard, but try to always figure out a yoshi first before going for the full battle. Also watch out for his Down B . DI, if possible, from the first hit of down B to raise up the chance of surviving from it at high percentages.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Yoshi isn't so much a counter to Rosie so much as he's just a very solid character overall. In order to beat Yoshi you should be trying to beat the player more so than beat the character however I can give you a few peculiar things to watch out for.

Wait for him to throw out an unsafe aerial such as hit Nair, dair, or hair you can anti air them if you have Luna with a usmash or a quick short hop uair. When he tries to egg pressure you just gpull them. Yoshi has no way to punish g pull from a safe egg throw range. If he gets too close while you stop the eggs you can get him with a dash attack. In fact, dash attack us a pretty great option for whatever he throws at you. His down b is VERY punishable and you should be able to hit him hard during the end lag. Yoshi tends to recover high and what you want to do is wait on stage for right as the super armor runs out to get him with a bair. If you suspect that they might air dodge you can run up usmash him from under him.
Hope this helps.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Wait for him to throw out an unsafe aerial such as hit Nair, dair, or hair
I'm sorry but I am unsure of what move you mean by "hair". Also, i dont think GP is always a good idea for the eggs. He can throw them out fairly quick and come and punish the GPull easily. Other wise, this is very sound advice.

One thing to note is that, once you have Yoshi in the air, it is difficult fo them to get down as we out prioritize their down b and dair with our godly up air. Just bait the air dodge and continue the juggle.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I'm sorry but I am unsure of what move you mean by "hair". Also, i dont think GP is always a good idea for the eggs. He can throw them out fairly quick and come and punish the GPull easily. Other wise, this is very sound advice.

One thing to note is that, once you have Yoshi in the air, it is difficult fo them to get down as we out prioritize their down b and dair with our godly up air. Just bait the air dodge and continue the juggle.
Warning...
Beware of Yoshis throwing out hair in mid-battle.

I'm assuming they meant forward-air.

That's the thing about Rosalina's up-air. It has a pretty nice range and can very easily juggle enemies. I used to be a Yoshi main, and I know this from experience... Rosalina is a tough opponent, as her aerials are very strong when timed just right.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole

Damn autocorrect. Yeah I meant Fair. The grab pull strategy I'm trying to describe is to sit on it while they chuck eggs and you should notice them trying to inch closer while doing it. When they get too close and toss an egg you have a few options like dash attacking under the egg for free, throwing another gpull out and when he rushes in to " punish" it you can stuff it with a jab or f-tilt, or you can roll out of their approach to reset neutral game.

And yeah, up air juggles are Kreygasm

Last edited:

Rosalina _88

Smash Rookie
Great, thanks everyone. Much appreciated! I guess, in the end, I really just need more practice against Yoshi.

One of my big weaknesses against Yoshi is that I'm hesitant to take the battle off-stage, even though Rosalina's off-stage game is exceptional. I always feel like I'm just going to eat dino nose and be sent flying down off the screen.

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Great, thanks everyone. Much appreciated! I guess, in the end, I really just need more practice against Yoshi.

One of my big weaknesses against Yoshi is that I'm hesitant to take the battle off-stage, even though Rosalina's off-stage game is exceptional. I always feel like I'm just going to eat dino nose and be sent flying down off the screen.
Yup try avoiding off-stage battle when he's in his second jump, because he has super armor and might end up fairing you. It'd be safer for Luma to deal damage outside the stage instead, just watch out or he will fair luma too. Plus if the second jump ended offstage that's when you can offstage battle him, but mostly it wouldn't be unlikely that second jump won't reach the stage.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
This match up gives me struggle as well. I'm not sure what I can say that others haven't so far. But, to better myself, I've learned something that has given me a much better chance in Yoshi MU.

All of Rosaluma's aerials are disjointed where Yoshi's limbs are attached to his body. If you evade an aerial attack, don't just keep running, challenge the attack. Once Yoshi finishes a move, he can easily throw out another one with no worries and you're forced to respect it, but Yoshi does have long animations with his moves meaning you'll get a free hit with your disjointed hit if you counter as soon as you avoid initial damage.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
@ WhiteMageBD WhiteMageBD any tips for being evasive because I lose to Yoshi so much, because I just get hit by all his eggs which lead into an inhuman amount of damage. I literally feel like I can't do anything.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
@ WhiteMageBD WhiteMageBD any tips for being evasive because I lose to Yoshi so much, because I just get hit by all his eggs which lead into an inhuman amount of damage. I literally feel like I can't do anything.
Like try keeping yourself mobile all the time by running around, don't sit on your shield. yoshi likes to jump and throw eggs at you. you can challenge that with her dash attack if well timed because she will go under the egg and hit him. Also, you can run under him and start juggling him with uair and utilts all the day. if he starts running after you on the ground, zone him out with starbits, luma jab or tilts or even shield and punish. Yoshis usually like to recover high offstage. Wait for him to use his double jump, go underneath him and hit him with an uair. I do agree that this match is a pain in the butt, but with good evasion and juggles with good mix ups. you can win pretty well. Also don't be shy of using u smash if hes in the air, it beats out his dair and nair because of its high priority. Rosa has great juggling tools with utilt, dash atk and uair and Up smash. Use them!!!

Like try keeping yourself mobile all the time by running around, don't sit on your shield. yoshi likes to jump and throw eggs at you. you can challenge that with her dash attack if well timed because she will go under the egg and hit him. Also, you can run under him and start juggling him with uair and utilts all the day. if he starts running after you on the ground, zone him out with starbits, luma jab or tilts or even shield and punish. Yoshis usually like to recover high offstage. Wait for him to use his double jump, go underneath him and hit him with an uair. I do agree that this match is a pain in the butt, but with good evasion and juggles with good mix ups. you can win pretty well. Rosa has great juggling tools with utilt, dash atk and uair. Use them!!!
Pardon my double posting, its a missclicked, anyway, to conclude, I beat yoshies even pro ones using this tactic. always try to either zone yoshi out or juggle him if he throws eggs

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom