• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategies against a defensive Wolf?

Alopex

Smash Ace
My best friend and I are Brawl rivals, a scenario that I'm sure many of you can relate to. We Brawl very often, and we always try to use a variety of characters instead of only fighting best char vs best char.

Now, his best is Wolf, and every time he uses Wolf, I groan.

His strategy with every character is one of extreme defense and reliance on projectiles. He will never go towards you, forcing you to always go after him instead. He will then Perfect Shield you and counter attack. Every time. And it's most ridiculously effective with Wolf.
His projectiles will almost always make a dashgrab approach impossible, since you can't advance towards him. The dashdodging approach is the best I've come up with so far but, even then, he'll make you dodge projectiles as you advance and then F-Smash you with that crazy range as soon you're close enough and after dodge lag.
Often, he'll just UpB towards you, trashing you if you dashshield soon enough and nullifying any advantage of your own Perfect Shielding.
Trying to projectile him is obviously useless due to his Reflector. That same Reflector, with its invincibility frames, also makes any attacking approach futile.

I mean, I just don't see what I can do here.
It's especially impossible to get to him using one of the slower characters, because they're even easier to Perfect Shield against.

So what are strategies against this form of "turtling"?

supak

Smash Cadet
His lasers are so easy to dodge... And I'm talking about jumping over, ducking under, it is even easier with AirDodge and GroundDodge, his laser is slow, and has some lag when he pulls it out. Practice your movement and dodging to approach him.

The length of his laser shots is also short. If you are playing on a long stage like Final Destination, you can make him have to approach you a bit just to get you in the range of his weapon. This means giving up precious control of certain parts of the stage, like the edge.

Also, shield grabbing is your friend. Jump in front of him and shield his lasers, you can easily grab him out of that.

And use his reflector to approach, if you are throwing projectiles that allow you to move freely when thrown. Such as Link's boomerang. If he wants to reflect it back, just run towards him out of the way it will reflect and attack while he has his reflector up.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
like supak said to go against a camping opponent that you have described shield grabbing is your best option from there follow up with attacks and keep pressure on him he pulls out his laser when your near him dodge roll behind him and Dsmash it will be faster then his since wolfs goes forward first. Also If he Fsmashes Grounddodge and counter attack

Top Bottom