• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategic Switching

inspirations365

Smash Rookie
Hello, all!

Let's say you have become great at Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.

Let me introduce you to an often overlooked or frowned upon characteristic of all three: The Switch!

Now, I'm sure you all know that if a strong attack is coming, and you switch pokemon, it will miss (be careful for afterwards!). This is good for a Squirtle/Ivysaur switch or Ivysaur/Charizard since the latter two are more difficult to KO. I've dodged my share of Volt Tackles from Pikachu with this.

But yesterday, I discovered something I haven't seen on any forums yet:

If a sticky bomb is stuck on you and you can't get to another character, switch pokemon and it will fall off.

So far this just seems to be an interesting characteristic, so I don't yet know any other applications to this, or what else it would work with (like the Screw Attack badge that I hate), but I'm sure with a little more play time, Pokemon Trainer could become an unstoppable force.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
it works with anything if you invicible and switch you lose it. if you metal you metla no longer.

Sasuke_1259

Smash Rookie
Pokemon are almost like separate characters

To the best of my knowledge, I believe that all the pokemon are treated separately when it comes to items. This can be good and bad:

I was invincible with charizard ( as in, I had an invincible star) and I was facing a fox, I thought "I might as well change to squirtle so I can catch him when I'm invincible". But when I changed, the invincible left and squirtle was normal. The INVINCIBLE was on charizard, not squirtle, so squirtle was not affected.

I was unable to check if - assuming I changed back to charizard ASAP - if the invincible would still be there, but I assume it would be gone (maybe a property of the poke ball lol).

This can be good in the case of Snake's C4, having a flower on your head from Lip's Stick, gooey bomb, etc.

I have not checked what happens to a smash ball or the dragoon parts: But if I remember correctly, I believe they stay on. Can anyone verify this?

Top Bottom