• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strange Replay Problem

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
Not sure if I should consider this an actual bug or not (since it's probable that I might be missing something after installing 2.5b), but if it's indeed a bug then feel free to move or close this thread.

Since I've installed 2.5b, whenever I've watched replays the characters themselves never consistently do what actually happened in the match itself.
The replays usually start consistent to what happened in the recorded match, but about a minute in or so the characters just...don't do what actually occurred, to the point where they go and KO themselves. It's quite common as well that, by extension, the actual match results don't reflect who the winner/loser was.
I wondered, at first, if this was just some issue with one of the imported stages that came with Project: M (it first happened when I was watching a replay of a match on Skyloft), but it even extends to other original stages, like vBrawl's Yoshi's Island stage (which, as far as I know, hasn't bee altered in the slightest).

I'm not sure if the whole phenomenom is a result of the saved replay lasting for more than the 3 minute limit that vBrawl imposed, since it seems as if the characters are deliberately offing themselves to end the match as quickly as possible.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
That's happening because you're using the Full codeset instead of the Wi-Fi codeset.

In Brawl, when you play on Wi-Fi or watch a replay, the game doesn't record the actual gameplay, but instead reads the inputs you make (or in a replay's case, rereads the inputs). In order to make Wi-Fi and replays work properly for Project M, some parts of the Full codeset needed to be sacrificed, such as L/R lightpressing and Stage Striking.

To switch from the Full codeset to the Wi-Fi codeset, go here:
http://projectm.dantarion.com/downloads/

Depending on whether or not your Wii is hacked, you'll get the appropriate version you need, but get the one that says "WiFi Safe" in parenthesis. Once it's done downloading, open your SD card, go to the "codes" folder and replace the old RSBE01.gct with the new one you downloaded. Then go to private\wii\app\RSBE\pf and replace the two folders called "menu2" and "system", and you're done.

It's also worth noting that, unfortunately, any replays you took while you were using the Full codeset won't work properly on the Wi-Fi safe codeset. I personally always use the Wi-Fi safe codeset when I'm playing, because I love saving my replays for whenever something incredibly awesome or hilarious happens.

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
That's happening because you're using the Full codeset instead of the Wi-Fi codeset.

In Brawl, when you play on Wi-Fi or watch a replay, the game doesn't record the actual gameplay, but instead reads the inputs you make (or in a replay's case, rereads the inputs). In order to make Wi-Fi and replays work properly for Project M, some parts of the Full codeset needed to be sacrificed, such as L/R lightpressing and Stage Striking.

Depending on whether or not your Wii is hacked, you'll get the appropriate version you need, but get the one that says "WiFi Safe" in parenthesis. Once it's done downloading, open your SD card, go to the "codes" folder and replace the old RSBE01.gct with the new one you downloaded. Then go to private\wii\app\RSBE\pf and replace the two folders called "menu2" and "system", and you're done.

It's also worth noting that, unfortunately, any replays you took while you were using the Full codeset won't work properly on the Wi-Fi safe codeset. I personally always use the Wi-Fi safe codeset when I'm playing, because I love saving my replays for whenever something incredibly awesome or hilarious happens.
Oh. Derp, I feel so silly now. .___.
Yeah, I must have forgotten that the replays didn't work with the Full Codeset. Still strange that the game ends up sort of playing itself when you watch them with the Full codeset, but in any case, not using the Wi-Fi codeset initially must've been the cause of the problem.
Thanks very much for the help, Xenozoa. ^_^

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
Yeah, Xeno hit it right on the nail. The full codeset has things like light shielding and c-stick stuff that isn't recorded in replays and sent with wi-fi inputs. You play the match with them, but the replay plays the match as if these features were never used. This causes a "de-sync". The same thing will happen if you change a stage's collision data after saving a replay in vBrawl

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
Yeah, Xeno hit it right on the nail. The full codeset has things like light shielding and c-stick stuff that isn't recorded in replays and sent with wi-fi inputs. You play the match with them, but the replay plays the match as if these features were never used. This causes a "de-sync". The same thing will happen if you change a stage's collision data after saving a replay in vBrawl
Ah, right. I wasn't initially aware that the de-synching in replays were what you mentioned there, and it does make sense why D3 always thought it was a good idea to suicide several times on Skyloft. >__>'

Right, that's definitely all cleared up now. Thanks for the help, guys. ^_^

Son_Goku

Smash Rookie
This just happened to my roommates and I, scared the living crap out of us haha. Then again it is almost 7am. . .

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
Ok, um, I know for the nonhomebrew version, you can turn on a wifi plugin in the PM screen [before] the loading wrist strap screen. Would turning that on activate wifi safe?

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice

Weird, when I click the link that you left, it takes me to the PM homepag

ArrestedNomad

Smash Rookie

Do you know if theres anywhere else to get the Wifi version? cause the website is closed now.

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure running the wifi addon from the P:M launcher in your fullset build converts it into a wifi-safe build

Top Bottom