• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Straight Lunge Uses?

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Just thought I should ask, are there any uses for straight lunge in competitive play? Thank you.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I sometimes use it to land and also as a surprise attack when I have a read. It's a good way to get a pretty strong attack that automatically pushes you forward. I never charge it fully though.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
honestly its my favorite of his specials. merely for its weak armor. It's applications are pretty diverse.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
its only good once you catch your opponents habits. most of its uses utilize its heavy armor

do they tend to:

- getup attack if knocked down? use SL on a missed tech (easy to setup)
- ledge attack when you're standing by the ledge? use SL (uncharged SL can actually kill earlier than dsmash, kills bowser at like 100%)
- use a multi-hit move while you're in the air? (aerials, upsmashes, etc) fall with SL, if landing into a multi-hit upsmash make sure to release SL at the time to interrupt them

or are they using a travelling move like

- wario bike, rollout, teleport, quickdraw, etc to return onto the stage? charge SL near where you think they'll land, giving some leeway of course.

or do you find yourself in a position where they up-b'd in the air and youre trying to catch them with an upsmash, but they DI'd away? you shouldve just charged SL, no guessing or hard reactions needed.

if hit high enough you can fully charge SL to lunge forward (not the best option, but its there)

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
If you find yourself trapped in a rapid jab just charge SL. You'll fall through and then be able to attack with your super armor. Just charge until they use their jab finisher.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
its only good once you catch your opponents habits. most of its uses utilize its heavy armor

do they tend to:

- getup attack if knocked down? use SL on a missed tech (easy to setup)
- ledge attack when you're standing by the ledge? use SL (uncharged SL can actually kill earlier than dsmash, kills bowser at like 100%)
- use a multi-hit move while you're in the air? (aerials, upsmashes, etc) fall with SL, if landing into a multi-hit upsmash make sure to release SL at the time to interrupt them

or are they using a travelling move like

- wario bike, rollout, teleport, quickdraw, etc to return onto the stage? charge SL near where you think they'll land, giving some leeway of course.

or do you find yourself in a position where they up-b'd in the air and youre trying to catch them with an upsmash, but they DI'd away? you shouldve just charged SL, no guessing or hard reactions needed.

if hit high enough you can fully charge SL to lunge forward (not the best option, but its there)
Or.... you could Fsmash.... Time it properly and you'll nail anything headed your way...
If you tilt up on the Fsmash you can reach above you and catch enemies that try to go just over your head...
I've never seen Straight lunge to be of any serious use, and where there ISN'T a better option.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Or.... you could Fsmash.... Time it properly and you'll nail anything headed your way...
If you tilt up on the Fsmash you can reach above you and catch enemies that try to go just over your head...
I've never seen Straight lunge to be of any serious use, and where there ISN'T a better option.
the thread is about straight lunge so im just talking about straight lunge. yea fsmash is better (anything is better) but thats not the point.

anyways, i forgot to mention, if you plan on using SL at all, you must use Wireframe Mac. Wireframe Mac is mute and so he doesn't make that incredibly telegraphed "HRRRAAAAAUGGHHH" while charging.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
If you manage to get the shield break on them (which considering that Mac's ground attacks are safe on block and can deal a ton of shield damage isn't too implausible) Straight Lunge is overall your best option unless they're very low. Allow me to explain why. Fully charged FSmash seems like a tempting option. After all it does more damage and similar knockback however opting for this stales an important move in your tool kit and unless it's their final stock you're going to want to use it later. Furthermore it's likely already staled from trying to break their shield. Straight Lunge on the other hand is 99% guaranteed to be fresh as you're naturally almost never going to use it due its general lack of utility. This not only means it's granted freshness bonus, allowing you to kill middleweight characters sub 50% centre stage, even lower vs lighter characters and near the ledge but also helps to keep FSmash fresh/unstale FSmash.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
If you manage to get the shield break on them (which considering that Mac's ground attacks are safe on block and can deal a ton of shield damage isn't too implausible) Straight Lunge is overall your best option unless they're very low. Allow me to explain why. Fully charged FSmash seems like a tempting option. After all it does more damage and similar knockback however opting for this stales an important move in your tool kit and unless it's their final stock you're going to want to use it later. Furthermore it's likely already staled from trying to break their shield. Straight Lunge on the other hand is 99% guaranteed to be fresh as you're naturally almost never going to use it due its general lack of utility. This not only means it's granted freshness bonus, allowing you to kill middleweight characters sub 50% centre stage, even lower vs lighter characters and near the ledge but also helps to keep FSmash fresh/unstale FSmash.
yep true words .

if theyre at really low % though i usually just opt for a fully charged down-fsmash just for the raw damage or push them close to the edge before charging the straight lunge (note, the lower their damage is the longer they are stunned-- so don't bother pushing them if theyre at higher %s)

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
That moment when you are charging up the straight lunge but your opponent tries attacking you but your armor is too strong. Then you unleash it when they're off guard. Best feeling.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
That moment when you are charging up the straight lunge but your opponent tries attacking you but your armor is too strong. Then you unleash it when they're off guard. Best feeling.
that moment when they grab you. because grabbing little mac is what you should always do.

sadface

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
Straight Lunge is something I use as a primary mindgame tool when I play online against others. People tend not to think its a viable move, thus can be hit by it at the right opportunity. It's also good as an edgeguarding move if you learn to time and distance yourself right (it shouldn't be used when you're right on the edge, like the smash attacks). It isn't a go to kill move for me though.

Bleezyy

Smash Cadet
Honestly I haven't played around with it too much but when I'm feeling very confident I try having fun with it. There also have been times when I used it to edge guard I feel like his arm extends a little further then his forward smash.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you're caught in a Rapid Jab with any space between hits, you can mash Neutral-B, armor through any following hits, and often punch before they can shield.

Straight Lunge almost always has too much startup to justify its use otherwise. The fire-based custom has way less startup, though.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sheik has more than enough time to react and grab you on landing. The minimum charge is Falcon Punch levels of bad.

Top Bottom