• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Storylines in games: Comedy VS Drama

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1245]Storylines in games: Comedy VS Drama[/drupal]

When it comes down to storylines in video games it's either comedic or dramatic. Both types are kept on either side of a three-foot thick concrete wall like two inmates who both hate each other for existing. It's hard to find a game that puts to two together anymore. If you're like me and you dig a storyline that's both a comedy and a drama then you'll have to back track to some older games like Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger. And a lot of games went to the serious side around the time that the sixth generation of gaming started. Take Final Fantasy, for instance. Final Fantasy IX was the best one in the series as far as I'm concerned (just look at my avatar). It had a perfect mix of comedy and drama, making it so that you could enjoy the game regardless of if you were in the mood for only one or the other. But when Final Fantasy X came out all comedy just disappeared. Final Fantasy X was all serious, the game didn't even try to have fun in it's storyline. And that's the way it was from then on. And I'll admit that I thought that XII's storyline was freaking awesome. I personally loved how some of the dialog could only be understood by people who can read and understand the Odyssey without someone looking over their shoulder simplifying it.

The problem I usually have with serious storylines is that they sometimes take themselves so seriously that you can't enjoy them. But then on the comedic side of things there are games that just try to hard to be funny that it comes off as stupid. There are a number of comedy animes I've seen that I could say that that's similar to but I won't in fear of getting flamed. Anyway, when it comes to drama games there are a few that are like watching a movie only you have to press a few buttons every now and then to get it to move on to the next scene *cough*metalgearsolid4*cough*. The characters in dramas can also be very, very generic. Shooter heroes are almost always emotionless, heavily-armored guys who are convinced that all aliens are evil and must die. JRPG heroes are almost always teenagers who have ridiculous hair and look like they've blindly stumbled through a Kohls, throwing on whatever clothing they touch. I could say more, but I won't for the sake of getting this rolling. In comedies, these stereotypes (that are unfortunately true) are often poked fun at. Sorry if this seems a bit slower than usual, it's just that characters in games these days are just so... there's just nothing to them anymore. I remember back when your shooter hero could be an iguana with the BFG shooting dinosaurs on the Death Star and it would be still popular and mainstream. For those of you who want something a bit more familiar, look at Mario. A game about a chubby Italian plumber stomping on living brown mushrooms and turtles so that he can save a princess from a dragon/turtle hybrid. Only to have his princess-saving plan foiled when it turns out that he saved a short guy with a mushroom on his head rather than accomplished his goal. Had Mario Bros. been made in this generation it would probably be passed off as a "kid's game" and ignored.

Okay, back on track I guess. So to rap up my short little blog post, I guess that comedy storylines are dieing out and I personally blame the almighty Xbox 360. The common owner of the most popular system only likes his games gritty and as manly as possible and anyone who dares try to be funny is shot on sight. While the frat-boy community of 360 owners only like dirty humor and people hurting themselves in stupid ways. Before I have to dive into the bomb shelter to avoid getting flamed by all of the 360 owners I just want to say that all of my friends own a 360, and my comments on the typical 360 owner comes from my experience with the community and from other people who I know own one. So I guess it really does boil down to what kind of plot you like. There are times when I like drama more than comedy and there are times when I like comedy more than drama. But my favorite kind of story is a dieing breed that can only be found in games by Insomniac and Naughty Dog (plus a few others). But it's as I said before, I like games where comedy and drama are like two newlyweds skipping down the yellow-brick road holding hands and going to see the wizard of Oz... don't think too much about that analogy, I certainly didn't.

Skrah

Smash Ace
I'm starting to notice that your taste in games are way different from mine lol. I love MGS and think FF is VERY overrated, although I am looking forward for XIII. I have stumbled upon some games with the serious business/comedy mix, such as Twilight Princess. Maybe not everyone sees it that way, but TP is supposed to have a seriouser thing going on than OoT or its other predecessors, but I still laughed at some parts, such as when Link does his TP victory thing, only to find out that the eyeball of the spider he just defeated is still running around, but maybe its just me.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Yeah, Zelda games are pretty decent at mixing the Comedic and Dramatic aspects of the story. Look at the most recent console games: Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. Both have serious, dramatic plots. A lot of the main plot events are very serious in both. But both have that lighthearted humor mixed in. Skrah gives a good example of an instance in TP, but there are plenty more. And WW has more than its share. And they aren't the only Zelda games to have this mix; it's the standard rather than the exception. But I used them as examples since one would think at first glance that TP is all serious and WW is all comedy.

Personally, I like my balance too. Games can be very serious business, but they can't always take themselves seriously. A few jokes or hidden bits of humor are needed, at least. And a game can be as funny as it wants, but in the end, it needs to be serious about serious issues. Look at something like one of my all-time favorite games, Tales of Symphonia. It has a really strong balance, in my opinion, between the lighthearted and serious. It's got plenty of ridiculous conversations between its many characters, and lots of humor all over. But when it comes down to it, it gets as serious as can be. The moral questions it puts out there by the end, and the scope of the story's events are no laughing matter. And this balance is part of what makes it an amazing game.

finalark

SNORLAX
Personally, I like my balance too. Games can be very serious business, but they can't always take themselves seriously. A few jokes or hidden bits of humor are needed, at least. And a game can be as funny as it wants, but in the end, it needs to be serious about serious issues. Look at something like one of my all-time favorite games, Tales of Symphonia. It has a really strong balance, in my opinion, between the lighthearted and serious. It's got plenty of ridiculous conversations between its many characters, and lots of humor all over. But when it comes down to it, it gets as serious as can be. The moral questions it puts out there by the end, and the scope of the story's events are no laughing matter. And this balance is part of what makes it an amazing game.
This is exactly why I hail Tales of Symphonia as one of the RPGs ever made. This is what I was trying to say when I mentioned Final Fantasy IX. Lesion learned: eat lunch before blogging.

A mix of comedy also helps balance the drama. If one were to think the serous parts of Final Fantasy IX to be funny, s/he would have to be one sick monster. The game touches up on things that we see throughout history; mass genocide, slaughtering of the innocent, countries going to war for foolish or arrogant reasons. I probably would have found the game extremely depressing if it didn't have the comedy in it.

D

Deleted member

I totally get the whole Xbox 360 thing. Every game is a

A: Futuristic Alien Shooter
B: WWII Shooter
C: Other Shooter
D: Sports

Even though I love those games, their comedy is... lacking.

This is why I love drama/comedy such as Phoenix Wright and Chrono Trigger.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just want to point out that the sheer WTF-ness behind Super Mario's storyline probably owes a lot to the graphics capability of the NES. When you try to construct a world in 8-bit, things start to get real acid-trippy. Then you end up with characters that look like walking mushrooms and flying turtles, and it is absolutely okay, because, in 8-bit, it actually looks convincing.

But then, they also had Platoon for the NES, and that was no laughing matter.

I didn't pay any attention to the story in FFX, in all honesty. It didn't make any sense to me (but didn't I just say that flying turtles are convincing?).

I like the Fire Emblem storylines. Sure, playing Path of Radiance is like ramming your head against a brick wall, but in a fun way. At least it's a little bit more realistic that the FF motif of Ultimate Good vs. Ultimate Evil with teenish romance and angsting thrown in for kicks.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
When it comes to comedy...
Conker's Bad Fur Day anyone?
That game, though, is intended to be pure comedy rather than a serious game mixing up comedy and drama. If you throw that in, that's like if people talk about comedy in action moves and you say "Monthy Python anyone?" =P

I personally enjoy the Japanese game stories, because even when the storyline is dead serious, the Japanese throw in some comedic aspects. I've never seen people fooling around like that in any Western game I've played so far, except those which are intended to be like that, such as Duke Nukem, Earthworm Jim or the majority of the classic Lucas Arts Adventure games.

... Iiiiii am the Great Mighty Poo, and I'm going to throw my s*** at you!

finalark

SNORLAX
I personally enjoy the Japanese game stories, because even when the storyline is dead serious, the Japanese throw in some comedic aspects. I've never seen people fooling around like that in any Western game I've played so far, except those which are intended to be like that, such as Duke Nukem, Earthworm Jim or the majority of the classic Lucas Arts Adventure games.
No... there are a few American games that mix comedy and drama. The Jak trilogy, Uncharted, Resistance. Although the humor in the last one is really subtle.

Top Bottom