• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Story mode DLC?

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
No, because they've already said there will be no story mode.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
If they did make one, which they probably won't, people will complain it should've been there in the first place.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Unfortunately, Sakurai believes that Nintendo characters beating the **** out of each other works better than having them work together as a team to save the universe, oh well, we'll never get our epic saga with Nintendo locations...

KamiDen

Smash Rookie
NNID
Subjectdelta64
Brawl's story mode was really cute but kind of boring in terms of gameplay variety. I liked story because it forced you to learn characters you wouldn't otherwise use's strengths and weaknesses on the fly. I'm sad it won't be an addition in Smash 4, but I still love Sakurai<3.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Subspace Emissary > All Smash Games

<3 <3 I wish it was in Smash Wii U I would be so happy
By the way story mode is a major element in SSBB and if it were in SSBU it wouldn't have been DLC.

Persondynamo222

Smash Rookie
All your sayings I know, but it did upset al lot of people when they found out that there wont be a story mode. Plus Sakuri could make this one more exciting. Sure he would have to push back the Mewtwo DLC, but it would be worth it.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Didn't care much for the story mode, got really bored beating up random enemies through a side scroller. Although, the cutscenes were pretty awesome, and the best part of the story.

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
I didn't care much for Subspace Emissary, though I do miss the atmosphere it set up for Brawl. The cutscenes were very well done and neat to see, and it was a great way to try out all of the characters. That said, the story wasn't all that compelling, the gameplay was repetitive, and they didn't really do much to try and make a convincing case for all of the characters and worlds existing together, so it felt a little flat. In a lot of ways I much prefer the focus on game mechanics and modes this time around in Smash 4 in lieu of having a story mode --- that said, I think a story mode could be a nice cherry on top of the sundae if they could add it eventually.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Didn't Sakurai say that there was not gonna be a story mode because of a damn ****ing bad reason? I thought he said something about people uploading the cutscenes on youtube and letting people see them to ruin the experience, not sure if he said that on a direct or im just imagining it.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Actually, the mega man trailer looked similar to a normal cutscene on a story expect the "SSB4" at the end, and the final smash

Sakurai or Nintendo would make a story mode eventually in the near SSB# future.

It would've been really cool to see the whole smash team to chase a giant monster from earth, then they chase after him while flying into the galaxy, then that would be when Rosalina and luma would appear and be on your team, man it would be a blast to see shulk help mario

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Didn't Sakurai say that there was not gonna be a story mode because of a damn ****ing bad reason? I thought he said something about people uploading the cutscenes on youtube and letting people see them to ruin the experience, not sure if he said that on a direct or im just imagining it.
Sakurai's reason was because the cutscenes got leaked and he doesn't want people to see things that would spoil their game.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Sakurai's reason was because the cutscenes got leaked and he doesn't want people to see things that would spoil their game.
Atleast I was close, but that seems like a major excuse, of course there would be people who would leak cutscenes, actually people do that to every game that are hyped.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Atleast I was close, but that seems like a major excuse, of course there would be people who would leak cutscenes, actually people do that to every game that are hyped.
They got leaked in Brawl, and characters got leaked in SSB3DS.
I'm glad there is no adventure mode, the cutscenes would have leaked

FlaygletheBagel

Smash Cadet
NNID
AmateurSalad8
3DS FC
5429-7042-7857
Unfortunately, Sakurai believes that Nintendo characters beating the **** out of each other works better than having them work together as a team to save the universe, oh well, we'll never get our epic saga with Nintendo locations...
I would love to see a game centered around that idea in the future but I really don't think Smash works for that, at least not as Smash is today. The controls in Smash make it a clunky platformer (at least that's how I felt when playing Subspace, Adventure mode, and to a slightly lesser extent, when playing Smash Run).

I think that in order to make a really good platformer, Sakurai would have to rework the physics of the characters to that effect. Smash hasn't shown me a good example of a platforming adventure yet; once it does, I might change my tune.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
I really don't see it happening and honestly I'm not disappointed. In subspace emissary, I thought the cutscenes were cool, but I found it to be pretty boring after a while, especially towards the end. I could see the gameplay being reworked in some way to make it better though.

Last edited:

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather they just make an animated movie for smash brothers or a short or something. I never found the Subspace Emissary very fun to play tbh :/ But how awesome would a full length smash bros animated movie be :O

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I have an idea. How about...?
I challenge the fans to create their own SSB4 story mode.
Since there's Project M, how 'bout create a story in Project B?

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Probably not, but it might be fun if they did add in one. Provided there was more variety than "move right, stop, kill, move right".

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
I didnt like the story mode of Brawl but if its an adventure mode that takes you around the world, much like a mix of story+adventure modes, i would be happy.

Or atleast a new map for Smash Run.

Persondynamo222

Smash Rookie
Didn't you ever hear about Copyright strikes? If so, then they could easily block the video and delete the account if the poster puts up another video gameplay of the story along with the cutscenes.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
I really do miss the Story mode from Brawl. And I'm a bit disappointment with Smash Tour. Smash Run had a lot more to offer, so I wish they'd been the other way around!

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
ehh, just because Sakurai doesn't feel like making a story mode doesn't mean we can't make one of our own... given the concept of Mii fighter's it's perfectly possible someone proficient at making movies and enough creativity can think of some fan story they think would be cool...

or is the concept of fanfics that iffy with most people...?

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
While I seem to hear a lot of hate from others about the Subspace Emissary, I would REALLY love to see it again! I thought it was awesome, and the plot was actually kind of impressive too (like the Dedede badges saving the world by reviving Luigi, Peach/Zelda and Kirby).

It's a shame, but I don't think we'll be getting a story mode anytime soon... :(

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I wish they did have a story mode- image the cutscenes and the pairs! Something like Wii Fit Trainer and Doc would've been hilarious.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
As much as I like the idea of Story Mode being DLC, I'd rather have the effort be put towards making new characters.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Not for the 3ds version... Something tells me sakurai has some of the smash run enemy's saved onto the wii U version. I could see a Subspace without cutscenes.

The kind of development costs for that would necessitate that being part of the retail game, not something the post-launch DLC team would do. It sounds like they've got their hands full testing Mewtwo against ~50 other characters right now.

Smash Run's gameplay, imo, is a more exciting twist on The Subspace Emissary's gameplay, anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom