• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop SOPA and PIPA

Spyro

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=4993]Stop SOPA and PIPA[/drupal]

You have probable heard about it but it is very important that we make sure this does not get passed. If you don’t know already SOPA (an acronym for stop online piracy act) and PIPA (the protection of intellectual property act) is aimed at stopping online piracy but this bill would have disastrous side effects. Now if this bill were to get passed in its current state, an entire website could be taken down for a single offence, effectively putting it out of business. A website would also be taken down for just linking out to a website with copyright infringement. This would mean that all of our videos, lives streams, and even smash boards itself would be in danger of being permanently taken off the internet. If you like watching video game reviews, lets plays, or other thing that have copyright material on them would be taken down as well.

We have to stop this or it will destroy our community and the internet as we know it.

*EDIT*:SOPA has stoped for the time being.

*EDIT AGAIN*: SOPA is not dead yet :( http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120117/12563317437/its-baaaaaaaaack-lamar-smith-says-sopa-markup-to-resume-february.shtml

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I was about to say that it has already been discussed, but I noticed your edit.

But you said it has stopped? When did that happen?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
@Vinyl: Congress has stated that they will not vote on either SOPA or PIPA

They're afraid for their jobs right now.

Good job, internet <3

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
So that means ACTA isn't happening either?

Otherwise, cool. I'm glad it has stopped at that point.
But I'm still afraid for Canada's Bill-C11. :/

etecoon

Smash Hero
ACTA is still on, there's another bill going through that requires ISPs to keep an extensive record of everyones activities and turn it over to the authorities if asked that doesn't even require you to be under investigation for anything, and I'm sure the malicious parts of SOPA and PIPA will appear in some defense bill sooner or later like everything else they want to jam through so no one can vote against it without looking like they hate the troops

why are all politicians such creepy people

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Oh that's cool. The person who wants to make this happen is simply retarted for SOPA so entertainment will have a huge amount of restrictions and blockage and increase the percentages on piracy doings.

That's great but it's not happening.

Top Bottom