• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop Making Tier Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I believe that the back room should stop releasing official tier lists, and we should stop having threads discussing tier lists. Having an "official" or generally agreed upon tier list deters people from picking low tiers, thus preventing full development of their metagame and leading to less character diversity in tournaments. If people had no list to reference, perhaps they would actually try out more characters and see for themselves which characters they think they should use.

In Short
Having a tier list to reference leads to less character diversity in tournaments and an incomplete development of low tier metagame.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I presume this will be locked shortly. But do you honestly believe that people aren't going to figure out who is good and who sucks on their own? People would know MK and Snake are awesome without anyone telling them. ANd most of us figured out Ganon sucked on our own.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Noooo.... people will still strive to the best character and there will always be some one or a group of people rating the order from best to worst. This thread.....

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I presume this will be locked shortly. But do you honestly believe that people aren't going to figure out who is good and who sucks on their own? People would know MK and Snake are awesome without anyone telling them. ANd most of us figured out Ganon sucked on our own.
I remember when Brawl first came out, before the first tier list was released, everyone's "personal" tier list varied significantly. Of course certain characters (such as the three extremes that listed) will be quickly figured out as very good or bad, but others are not as black and white.

bigbucks

Smash Journeyman
People only need to see the matchups of characters to see if they suck or not. Tier list are just an easier way to see them

Variable

Smash Ace
Even if you do think that, you're 1 vs. 1,000... So I'm pretty sure nothing is going to change. And also just like everyone else said, people would find out eventually..

jivegamer

Smash Cadet
This thread could have been low-mid tier, but I don't think it has quite enough depth to it. Don't get me wrong, it's no triforce tier thread, but it's missing something that the middle of the road threads have.

...people have a tendency to rank everything.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I really don't think we should stop doing anything in fear of groupthink causing lower level players to be discouraged from using unproven and/or bad characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom