• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

stop autopiloting?

flique

Smash Rookie
i know this is a big discussion, but I haven't really found any solutions that worked, so can you non-autopilot people tell me some tips? thanks Gs

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Ask in a different thread
...No this is indeed the proper forum.

Anyway you really just have to focus on one or maybe two things at a time (ex. tech habits, mixups, observing the opponent in X situation, recovery, DI, spacing, etc.). If you try to think about everything, you'll uh... well, it won't work. Because humans physically can't process that much information in their working memory over such a short timespan. You have a limited amount of concentration during a match, but make sure you're at least putting it towards something.

If you feel yourself autopiloting just take a 2-5 minute break, walk around, and come back.

(I am not an expert on psychology)

Watch this video to learn about system 1 vs system 2 thinking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-aCSFD3xro

I think auto piloting might be a matter of only using system 1 thinking. It's very fast to process and requires low energy, but it takes mental short cuts which may lead to mistakes. System 2 thinking is slower, more energy demanding, and more calculative. The trick to keeping system 2 active is to make the task more difficult. In text based material, the best way the video suggests that it can be done is by making the font more difficult to read. Perhaps something similar can be done in Melee to help keep you in it too. Maybe having a crowd watching on you can help keep you alert under the pressure. Playing on bad stages for your match up can make the game more difficult for you to keep your mind set to system 2 thinking

Going into auto pilot during friendlies might not be too much of a problem. It'll help you play more efficiently which will help you play longer. It can also be improved if you're willing and able to converse with a friend or run a stream and do commentary as you play. With enough experience, you'll be able to focus much more on what you're trying to say while you're still playing the game competently with little awareness of what you're doing. But that's also because language and spatial thinking utilize 2 different sides of the brain (most of the language areas are on the left side, most of the spatial reasoning is on the right). Playing in auto pilot doesn't work as well if you're playing as a technical character, probably

Jesus!

Smash Cadet
i actually find i benefit from autopiloting, i usually just make the right decisions without overthinking it

GenNyan

Smash Ace
(I am not an expert on psychology)

Watch this video to learn about system 1 vs system 2 thinking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-aCSFD3xro

I think auto piloting might be a matter of only using system 1 thinking. It's very fast to process and requires low energy, but it takes mental short cuts which may lead to mistakes. System 2 thinking is slower, more energy demanding, and more calculative. The trick to keeping system 2 active is to make the task more difficult. In text based material, the best way the video suggests that it can be done is by making the font more difficult to read. Perhaps something similar can be done in Melee to help keep you in it too. Maybe having a crowd watching on you can help keep you alert under the pressure. Playing on bad stages for your match up can make the game more difficult for you to keep your mind set to system 2 thinking

Going into auto pilot during friendlies might not be too much of a problem. It'll help you play more efficiently which will help you play longer. It can also be improved if you're willing and able to converse with a friend or run a stream and do commentary as you play. With enough experience, you'll be able to focus much more on what you're trying to say while you're still playing the game competently with little awareness of what you're doing. But that's also because language and spatial thinking utilize 2 different sides of the brain (most of the language areas are on the left side, most of the spatial reasoning is on the right). Playing in auto pilot doesn't work as well if you're playing as a technical character, probably
Maybe thats why people prefer to study with music or gum, which could be applied to melee easily. I actually spent about two years playing tetris and listening to lectures at the same time (I don't take notes), so that one's a bit of a stretch haha, but it could've helped me as well. Ironically I did this the most during AP Psych.

Michelangelo

Smash Cadet
Try to force yourself to do certain things in your game. Don't try to focus too much on winning the game but more on learining things. Let's say you play fox and you want to grab more because you feel like it will improve your combo game. Instead of doing your usual stuff try to think about where your opponent is and how you could be able grab him. If it didn't work, think about why it didn't work and what you can do to make it work.
Auto piloting can also cause very unfortunate deads too. Each time you die, try to remember why you died. What was your mistake and how did he punish it. You might notice you have a bad habit which he was able to read. When you find yourself in that situation again, force yourself to do something else. If you can't remember how you died you were autopiloting.

Top Bottom