• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steel's Character Picking Guide

steelxawesome

Smash Rookie
:208:Yay first post

Welcome to Steel's Personal Character Picking guide! I usually use something similar when introducing new friends/relatives to the game, so I decided to share what I use here, in a slightly better format.
Just a few notes before we begin, some characters can fall into multiple categories. It doesn't mean they are amazing characters, it just means that they can be played in both ways.
So, lets get started!

Balance Characters
Don't you hate it when a character is too slow, too weak, or bad at jumping? Well, this character has something for everybody! It has something in every stat, so nothing is left out! However, no stat is amazing, but all stats are decent.
Balance Characters: :4mario::4luigi::4drmario::4pit::4darkpit::4tlink::4falco:

Speedy Characters
Pfft, nobody can keep up with you! All you need is the freedom of speed! Although you are weak, you can soar across that stage like there is no tomorrow! Just keep on running and it'll all be fine!
Speedy Characters: :4falcon::4fox::4marth::4pikachu::4sheik::4sonic::4yoshi::4lucina::4greninja:

Aerial Characters
The sky is the limit! You can throw an opponent into the air and keep 'em there until they are gone! It can be extremely hard to keep them up there for more than a few seconds, but it'll all be worth it when you finally find there soft spot in the air.
Aerial Characters: :4bowserjr::4charizard::4pit::4darkpit::4gaw::4kirby::4jigglypuff::4metaknight::4ness::4villager::4yoshi::4diddy::4peach:

Strength Characters
Combos? Strategies? Nah, that stuff isn't THAT good. All you need is somebody to end the match quick, and you're done! Powerhouses at their finest!
Strength Characters::4bowser::4dk::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4littlemac::4wario2::4dedede::4link:

Spammy Characters
One size fits all! All you need it one or two moves in your arsenal to win that match! Keep on using that move and steer your way to victory!
Spammy Characters: :4charizard::4darkpit::4pit::4littlemac::4metaknight::4pacman::4yoshi:

Strategic Characters
Combos... COMBOS... Keep that combo up! Don't forget your abilities! Some of these characters are used a LOT in professional play. Just use your strats and win what 'ya want to win!
Strategic Characters: :4falcon::4diddy::4fox::4greninja::4marth::4olimar::4pikachu::4robinm::rosalina::4sheik::4shulk::4zss::4yoshi:

Ranged Characters
Don't touch me I'm sterile. Just keep away and it'll all be fine! You don't want to touch the other people, so you use your attacks to keep them away.
Ranged Characters::4bowserjr::4diddy::4duckhunt::4megaman::4rob::4ness::4samus::4villager::4zelda::4wiifit::4olimar::4dedede:

Confusion Characters
Want your opponent to be confused of everything you do? Then use these! They are so weird that nobody can predict what is going to happen next.
Confusion Characters: :4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4palutena::4pacman::4rob::4robinm::substitute:

So yeah, that is my PERSONAL guide to find what characters you would like. Remember, this was purely my opinion on how these characters play, so don't hate on me :shades:
Also, let me know if I missed any characters in this list.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Just a few suggestions based on my experiences, I'd move Dr. Mario to Power or something, since his recovery is notoriously bad. I'd throw Pac Man in Balance, and outright remove the Spammy category, since that's not really a valid way to win past mediocre-level play. Remove the "weak" from the Speed category, most of those characters aren't really weak. Add Little Mac there, too. Wii Fit should also be in the Confusion section. Sheik also belongs in the aerial category, in my opinion. You also left out the Miis, whether that was intentional or not.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This is a nice list! Very very useful for newcomers, I'm sure~

Of course, I'm just gonna nitpick for the sake of helping you improve it, and say that :4palutena: works well as an aerial fighter and :4pit: is also a decent ranged fighter.

Top Bottom