• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steel Thy Shovel! Shovel Knight Support Thread!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
shovel knight tracks? like pretty pleaseeee??? (I mean.. you have 900 slots, don't be stingy with one or two shovel knight tracks DX)

Still, a bummer he is not playable.. but seriously, I'm really happy he is in!

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
shovel knight tracks? like pretty pleaseeee??? (I mean.. you have 900 slots, don't be stingy with one or two shovel knight tracks DX)

Still, a bummer he is not playable.. but seriously, I'm really happy he is in!
Oh man, Shovel Knight music would be soooo dope!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
For Luigi's Mansion

For Dracula's Castle

For Willy's cstle

For Pirate Ship

For Rainbow Cruise

For Castle Siege

For Norfair

For Summit

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
While i hate to see you guys feeling down that Shovel Knight didn't make the cut, I think you guys should have a round of applause here.

Shovel Knight became the first indy character to appear in Smash regardless of playable or Assist Trophy so that is something to celebrate
Well that can be seen during normal gameplay. Commander Video was a normal trophy in Smash 4. Which makes me wonder if we might get another indie assist? I imagine Shantae also had a decent push in the ballot and wasn't there a rumor Sakurai visited 2 indie studios to try their games a while ago?

D

Deleted member

Press F to pay respects.
That said, I agree that the fact he gets any recognition in the game is amazing to begin with, which makes it easy to get over.
Here's hoping for music tracks as well, though!

D

Deleted member

So he isn't playable.

At least he's in the game after many would say he shouldn't/wouldn't be in at all.
I consider that a victory in it's own right. And who knows? Maybe he'll make the jump in the future because of this.

Polan

Smash Lord
man, i voted for shovel knight in the ballot but i don't even mind him being an AT. started from the bottom, now he's here duking it out with the Nintendo all-stars. that's all i could ask for. also we get a high quality model so there's that too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if you're bummed about Shovel Knight not being playable in Smash, maybe this will compensate...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

D

Deleted member

I'm just happy to see that Indie rep happening in some capacity here.
Here's to better chances for the next game.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
While i hate to see you guys feeling down that Shovel Knight didn't make the cut, I think you guys should have a round of applause here.

Shovel Knight became the first indy character to appear in Smash regardless of playable or Assist Trophy so that is something to celebrate
Commander Video is so low-key almost everyone seems to forget he had a trophy in Smash 4.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Shovel Knight is one of my personal favorite video games, so of course I really wanted him to be in Smash, and at first sight seeing the Blue Crusader in the Assist Trophy section felt like a kick in the teeth. Honestly though, I didn’t expect Shovel Knight to show up in any capacity, so him being in the game at all is a pretty nice addition.

Here’s hoping we can at least get a track or two in the game. Ooooh, maybe even a Smash-original remix? I’m crossing my fingers.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shovel Knight is one of my personal favorite video games, so of course I really wanted him to be in Smash, and at first sight seeing the Blue Crusader in the Assist Trophy section felt like a kick in the teeth. Honestly though, I didn’t expect Shovel Knight to show up in any capacity, so him being in the game at all is a pretty nice addition.

Here’s hoping we can at least get a track or two in the game. Ooooh, maybe even a Smash-original remix? I’m crossing my fingers.
Its interesting to see a third party series represented seemingly solely by an AT.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope we get at least one Shovel Knight track. That would be dope of the highest degree.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Love me some Shovel Knight, but I didn't expect him to get in the game at all. He might pull a Little Mac in future installments, but it brings a smile to my face that he's an Assist Trophy.

The real victory is knowing that an indie character can steel thy shovel with industry greats like Mario and Sonic and all that jazz...
That being said he's got my vote for Smash 6.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One question though, what series would Shovel Kngiht music tag along to?

I'm gonna be dull and say Zelda mostly cause I think this stuff fits real well on say, Eldin bridge.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Sub-Atomic Whale for Ice Climber's Summit

The Science Wizard for Luigi's Mansion

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
One question though, what series would Shovel Kngiht music tag along to?

I'm gonna be dull and say Zelda mostly cause I think this stuff fits real well on say, Eldin bridge.

I'd like his music to be played on the stage he appeared in.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Love me some Shovel Knight, but I didn't expect him to get in the game at all. He might pull a Little Mac in future installments, but it brings a smile to my face that he's an Assist Trophy.

The real victory is knowing that an indie character can steel thy shovel with industry greats like Mario and Sonic and all that jazz...
That being said he's got my vote for Smash 6.
Me and my friend Matt were Discording the Direct and we both lost it when we saw Shovel Knight get in. I really hope he gets more my having an AT is fantastic for an Indie.

Just shows the power of the Shovel!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Something I just realised, with Shovel Knight in Smash that means that, what with his busy cameo schedule, just about every single indie character now has two degree of separation from Mario, Solid Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and the Belmonts.

Example: Sash Lilac the Water Dragon (freedom planet)->Co stared with Shovel Knight in Indie pogo ->Was in Smash Ultimate along with Sonic the Hedgehog

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I honestly wasn't very sure how to make Shovelknight feeling super unique qithouth going too much into Young Link and Megaman territories,but I love what the guys at rivals of aether did to him.... a permanent coin battler with a hop for upgrades? i like the concept a lot.

I wonder if we may be getting an indie stars costume Mii Costumes pack? with swordfighter Shovel Knight, (and maybe a Drifter one too, also Papyrus) A brawler Shantae one (also Juan and Tostada are good candidates) and a Quote one for gunner? (with curly too?)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
What's the support like for shovel knight? Have people caused a stink over him being an assist trophy?

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I honestly wasn't very sure how to make Shovelknight feeling super unique qithouth going too much into Young Link and Megaman territories,but I love what the guys at rivals of aether did to him.... a permanent coin battler with a hop for upgrades? i like the concept a lot.

I wonder if we may be getting an indie stars costume Mii Costumes pack? with swordfighter Shovel Knight, (and maybe a Drifter one too, also Papyrus) A brawler Shantae one (also Juan and Tostada are good candidates) and a Quote one for gunner? (with curly too?)
I mean there are multiple characters that play very similar in this game. But still he probably.would not be at all similar. He might have had the pogo down air or axe throw that simon Belmont has. But he uas a big repoirtoire of possible moves. Just look at indie smash like game Rivals of Aether in which he appears to see his potential.

Edit: sorry, I just woke up and for some reason missed your enitre part about Rivals of Aether. Good start of my day -_-'

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
What's the support like for shovel knight? Have people caused a stink over him being an assist trophy?
I saw more praise and happiness for the Assist Trophy than anything. Some were sad he wasn't playable, while unfortunately we have some Shantae fans throwing a fit or even going far as laughing at his fans for losing the battle for the best indie slot.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I saw more praise and happiness for the Assist Trophy than anything. Some were sad he wasn't playable, while unfortunately we have some Shantae fans throwing a fit or even going far as laughing at his fans for losing the battle for the best indie slot.
God damnit. We should somehow try to make it clear there's a good fanbase that wants him playable.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I feel for a deconfirmed character Shovel knight has had the best fate. Not only is him being an assist trophy an actual far bigger deal then most.
But shortly after his deconfirmation he got confirmed for rivals of aether! One of the best non smash platform fighters on my opinion.
And I'd say they have even perfectly adapted him into a playable moveset!

I can still have the biggest smile on my face despite him not getting in. :grin:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I feel for a deconfirmed character Shovel knight has had the best fate. Not only is him being an assist trophy an actual far bigger deal then most.
But shortly after his deconfirmation he got confirmed for rivals of aether! One of the best non smash platform fighters on my opinion.
And I'd say they have even perfectly adapted him into a playable moveset!

I can still have the biggest smile on my face despite him not getting in. :grin:
I'm hoping not all assist trophies are "deconfirmed". There's such an uproar about waluigi, anything could happen.

And I love that he's in roa (though I don't love the adaptation of the propellor dagger lol) but I still want him to face off against Mario and friends. It sadens me that it probably isn't gona happen.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping not all assist trophies are "deconfirmed". There's such an uproar about waluigi, anything could happen.

And I love that he's in roa (though I don't love the adaptation of the propellor dagger lol) but I still want him to face off against Mario and friends. It sadens me that it probably isn't gona happen.
Waluigi is the only character i see it possible for it to reverse into a real character. Because he has been so much more tied too the assist trophy. But chances still are he is in fact deconfirmed.
In fact those style of fake outs have only happened just before showing the character actually getting in. Like when Sakurai said Zero Suit was cut. It would be rather mean to deconfirm a character. Make the fans wait for months in sadness thinking their character isn't in. Just to show them in later.
That goes beyond being a silly joke to be pure mean spirited. And i don't think that is in Sakurai's character.
Maybe DLC?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Waluigi is the only character i see it possible for it to reverse into a real character. Because he has been so much more tied too the assist trophy. But chances still are he is in fact deconfirmed.
In fact those style of fake outs have only happened just before showing the character actually getting in. Like when Sakurai said Zero Suit was cut. It would be rather mean to deconfirm a character. Make the fans wait for months in sadness thinking their character isn't in. Just to show them in later.
That goes beyond being a silly joke to be pure mean spirited. And i don't think that is in Sakurai's character.
Maybe DLC?
Well ya I'm mostly thinking dlc. Unless he has a crazy mode where you can unlock assist trophies as characters by fighting them.

Edit: Actualy, there's one other idea I had. What if assist trophies with amiibo could be turned into full characters by tapping their amiibo?

Also, why the hell does shantae have more support than sk? As much as I liked the pirates curse, shantae games are far inferior to shovel knight.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well ya I'm mostly thinking dlc. Unless he has a crazy mode where you can unlock assist trophies as characters by fighting them.

Edit: Actualy, there's one other idea I had. What if assist trophies with amiibo could be turned into full characters by tapping their amiibo?

Also, why the hell does shantae have more support than sk? As much as I liked the pirates curse, shantae games are far inferior to shovel knight.
I don't know about "more" support, but I guess it's because Shantae's been around since the Game Boy Colour, and her developers were heavily campaigning for her during the Smash Ballot. I haven't played the Shantae games, so there might be more to it than that.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well there are around 97 "other" tracks, so I doubt there will be many Shovel Knight tracks. I wouldn't get my hopes up for more than two.

Think about it, along with the various other songs relating to smaller Nintendo IPs you'll also have songs relating to other 3rd party guests like Bomberman and Monster Hunter. (and there are probably going to be more 3rd party guests besides those) It won't be long adding up to 97.

I'm not a big Shovel Knight fan so I guess I'm not the best person to say this, but personally I'd like to see a remix of the Strike the Earth track. I think considering that Shovel Knight got in through the ballot he definitely deserves a remix and not just a song taken straight from the original game.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

So, I really don't think sk is that much like any character. Even his pogo, I'd make that one of his signature moves and really differentiate it from the links' d-airs. I'd make it his aerial down b, and make it stay out as long as b is held down/until he lands. And more importantly, pogo would trump all projectiles and attacks. Shovel knight would be able to pogo all over a stage using enemies and projectiles. Then, his anchor throw would be the only attack similar to someone elses. It could be slightly altered to be different, but I wouldn't bother. I'd just make it go through all walls ceilings and floos like in the sk game.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Shovel Knight goes live on Rivals today! I still count this as victory in it's own way. for being deconfirmed Shovel Knight has a much greater life than the others.

D

Deleted member

Alas, he is an Assist Trophy. That's not all bad though. Honestly the fact that an Indie game character, which some people had reason to believe wouldn't have anything to do with Smash period, got an Assist Trophy role is a HUGE step in the right direction (yes I know about the Commander Video Trophy in Smash Wii U. But Shovel Knight's assist role is more significant).

We'll have to wait till another time for Shovel Knight to make the jump to playable in Smash. But hopefully that time will come.

Consider me a supporter.

Skeleton-o-puns

Smash Cadet
Hey V-sauce! Jk. Skeleton-o-puns here with a brand new moveset, and this time it’s about the Godfather of indie titles, Shovel Knight! As I’m sure EVERYONE knows he’s already an assist trophy. But that doesn’t mean he’s lost his fan base! Here we go.

Neutral- Dig

A basic dig attack. Shovel Knight digs with his spade to attack. Occasionally he digs up an item. It can also bury opponents.

Side- Flare wand

Shovel Knight waves his flare wand forward, quickly shooting out fireballs. The fire balls bounce a long the ground, but if used in midair they spread vertically.

Up- Throwing Anchor

Toss an anchor through the air in a graceful arc. If it hits an opponent midair, it has the power to spike.

Down- Spade plunge

Shovel Knight plunges his spade right into the ground in front of him and causes two gems to come up from the ground on either side. The gems themselves can brake shields if the opponent is hit by the spade itself AND the gems directly after. Which is easy, because the gems don’t fly very far after being “uprooted”.

Final Smash-

Shovel Knight summons Shield Knight to do a combo attack.

Taunts-

Up- He raises his spade to the sky in a “Huzzah!” like fashion.
Side- Shovel Knight sounds the War horn to boost his spirits.
Down- He bows to the camera

Palette swaps-

Just Shovel Knight but with different color schemes.

Echo fighter- Shield Knight

Last edited:
Top Bottom